Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-04-2014, 01:43 AM   #1
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Is OOTP's Popularity Increasing?

Since OOTP doesn't release numbers on how many copies are sold, I always wonder if the game is gaining or losing it's fan base. Are they selling more or less copies than they did 2-3 years ago? I'm sure none of you know for sure, just something I'm curious about.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #2
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
I know for sure that OOTP is more popular now than 3 years ago.....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Just from the amount of people on the forum I would say it's getting more popular.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Garethw87

I'm sure Steam has helped!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
BradC
All Star Starter

Yes, sales are up, so OOTP is definitely reaching more people. Sales were already on the rise before we got the game onto Steam, but that has obviously helped increase them even more.

As we discussed at the company meeting last week, now we need to figure out how to get Americans to love sports management games the way Europeans do. I've seen Europeans buy OOTP just because they love that genre of games, even though they don't know much about baseball.
BradC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
hluraven
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I've seen Europeans buy OOTP just because they love that genre of games, even though they don't know much about baseball.

Definitely true for me. I've learned so much about baseball from OOTP and have started watching occasional games on TV here, but my first couple of years of OOTP play I had never seen a baseball game even on TV.
hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, sales are up, so OOTP is definitely reaching more people. Sales were already on the rise before we got the game onto Steam, but that has obviously helped increase them even more.

As we discussed at the company meeting last week, now we need to figure out how to get Americans to love sports management games the way Europeans do. I've seen Europeans buy OOTP just because they love that genre of games, even though they don't know much about baseball.
I have to think that there must be a heck of a lot more folks out there who want something more than pressing a button and watching virtual Mike Trout hitting a pixel ball over a digital fence. True, this game is also electronic but it is so much more than that. Maybe I'm not giving today's arcade-style games enough credit; maybe they are more sophisticated these days in things beyond graphic images. I don't think so, though.

I've been a baseball fan all my life. I would no sooner start playing MLB 14: The Show now (except maybe at a party) than I would go back to Hardball and High Heat.

I've lent my to the 3D stadium discussion, saying that the developers needs to expand the appeal of this game even more to allow the rest of it to improve. By doing so, I trust them not to lose sight of what has made OOTPB successful so far.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:

Maybe give out a free pistol with each purchase?
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
An unusually tactless comment from you, sir. I am an American, I do not own a gun, and I believe in strict gun control.

Granted, we have a problem with the proliferation of firearms in our country but gun violence is hardly a plague restricted solely to the United States. Also, your comment insults the memory of those who have died in this ongoing tragedy.

Now, would you like me to Google up a demeaning comment about the Swiss? If I can find any, that is?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Trebro
All Star Reserve

My only reason I did not get fhm or any other sim right now is i don't want to take away from my time playing ootp! If i got another game (and I love hockey) then my ootp time is cut by x, given I still have to work.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Coming from someone living in the nation with the fourth-highest gun ownership rate in the world that was a really tactless comment. Glass houses and all that.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #12
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Is OOTP's Popularity Increasing?

I'll bet nobody ever cares how to market their games in Switzerland. Bah. It ain't worth it.

Last edited by silvam14; 07-04-2014 at 07:35 PM.
silvam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hluraven View Post
Definitely true for me. I've learned so much about baseball from OOTP and have started watching occasional games on TV here, but my first couple of years of OOTP play I had never seen a baseball game even on TV.
It's probably because you didn't have 5 hours of free time too watch a game.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hluraven View Post

Same here. I'm not an American. I'm from Asia, and in our country baseball is not that popular. Before playing OOTP, I had almost zero knowledge of baseball. Learned baseball by playing OOTP and by watching MLB on cable TV...
Old 07-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
An unusually tactless comment from you, sir. I am an American, I do not own a gun, and I believe in strict gun control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Coming from someone living in the nation with the fourth-highest gun ownership rate in the world that was a really tactless comment. Glass houses and all that.
Even though his post did not contain a smiley, I took rudel's comment as being mostly tongue-in-cheek, with perhaps a bit of satire behind it. In which case methinks you two are being a little oversensitive.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Even though his post did not contain a smiley, I took rudel's comment as being mostly tongue-in-cheek, with perhaps a bit of satire behind it. In which case methinks you two are being a little oversensitive.
Well, Mister Uninvolved Canadian, you can think whatever you want. It was tactless.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, Mister Uninvolved Canadian, you can think whatever you want. It was tactless.
Whatever you say, Mr. No Sense of Humour. Or is that Mr. Can't Take a Little Ribbing?
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Whatever you say, Mr. No Sense of Humour. Or is that Mr. Can't Take a Little Ribbing?
A foreigner takes a shot at America on the Fourth of July and you expect us to ignore it or think it was cute?

It was tactless.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #19
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
A foreigner takes a shot at America on the Fourth of July and you expect us to ignore it or think it was cute?

It was tactless.
This topic has completely gone down the drain, but this turn of phrase amused me, under the circumstances.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #20
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
This topic has completely gone down the drain, but this turn of phrase amused me, under the circumstances.
Well, somebody got it.