Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #21
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

As a fictional player I'm all about giving more life to players, to an extent.

What about family lines? I'd love to see relatives (father-son or brothers) with a little note on their main profile screen with a link to the relative's player card. If such a thing is possible to do, of course.
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #22
ChiefWahoo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan26 View Post
As a fictional player I'm all about giving more life to players, to an extent.

What about family lines? I'd love to see relatives (father-son or brothers) with a little note on their main profile screen with a link to the relative's player card. If such a thing is possible to do, of course.
This is a fantastic idea! (Of course, it would be best if Joe's son is not always named Joe Jr. as with how owners' children are currently handled by the game)
ChiefWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #23
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

In my opinion, a large part of managing is not know when to bunt or hit-and-run or steal, but to motivate your players and create a winning culture that they all buy in to.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #24
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
In my opinion, a large part of managing is not know when to bunt or hit-and-run or steal, but to motivate your players and create a winning culture that they all buy in to.
That's a fairy tale IMO.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #25
Clemente21PIT
Major Leagues

It would be interesting for OOTP, if having brothers (like BJ and Justin Upton), helps their stats. Also after last year's Red Sox, there should be some sort of chemistry rating that changes according to morale, leadership ability, greed, work ethic, etc. The team chemistry should also increase with winning streaks and decrease with losing streaks. Furthermore, the greater the amount of service time with one team should help the chemistry.
Clemente21PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #26
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemente21PIT View Post
It would be interesting for OOTP, if having brothers (like BJ and Justin Upton), helps their stats.
Does it help their stats though? Justin Upton has stayed relatively the same (maybe a bit better) while BJ has gotten far worse since joining ATL. A big chemistry boost, on the other hand, I could definitely see being plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemente21PIT View Post
Also after last year's Red Sox, there should be some sort of chemistry rating that changes according to morale, leadership ability, greed, work ethic, etc. The team chemistry should also increase with winning streaks and decrease with losing streaks. Furthermore, the greater the amount of service time with one team should help the chemistry.
I generally don't like Chemistry systems in sports games because it ends up being more of an annoyance than anything else, but I have faith OOTP could do something to incorporate it somehow to make the personality traits have a bit more bearing on the game. As it is right now I don't really see how Leader Ability, Desire to Win, Loyalty, or Greed come into play. Where you would expect Greed and Desire to Win to matter it usually doesn't, as I've had guys want to re-sign with me despite poor seasons and high Desire for Win ratings. Likewise, I don't necessarily notice the high Greed guys demanding more money the the low Greed guys. For Intelligence/Work Rate, I do tend to lean towards guys with higher ratings than lower, though I have no concrete evidence that the higher Work Ethic/Intelligence ratings result in faster development/better players.
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #27
Trebro
All Star Reserve

If we must have chemistry and its inevitable fake brother clutch, please please please let me turn these fake concepts off. Would possibly be game breakingbfor me.

I would really rather see ai tweaks, stats fetures, etc take priority over this.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #28
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The argument is one of resource allocation. I see the unquantifiable stuff as a low priority vs game play issues that still exist. Leaving me with having to turn off stuff that I don't even think should be in the game is like heads you win tails I lose. Not buying it.
Well, I don't have a magic coin, so for now, I don't win either. But remember that, at some point in the past, many of the game features were built into a new version or update. You can turn off financials, league modifications, the draft, and more. For some, those features get in the way of their certain type of game they want to play, so a button to turn on or off the feature broadens the appeal of the game. But yeah, it would be resources spent in a new direction, rather than bringing the current game closer to perfection for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
Not to mention that professional baseball players are just people, and (no offense to the good people here) most people's lives just aren't that interesting. Especially people who work 60-70 hours per week (especially during the season).
No offense, but even if someone's life isn't all that interesting, it doesn't mean that it's not important. Perfectly boring people can be strong contributors to just about any profession or pursuit. And who they are in street clothes does make a huge impact on who they are on the job. That's why we hear a lot about how someone's facebook or twitter activity can affect their job candidacy.
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #29
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
No offense, but even if someone's life isn't all that interesting, it doesn't mean that it's not important. Perfectly boring people can be strong contributors to just about any profession or pursuit. And who they are in street clothes does make a huge impact on who they are on the job. That's why we hear a lot about how someone's facebook or twitter activity can affect their job candidacy.
I hear ya on that one.

My life is about as boring as a person's can get outside of a locked room, but I am the most important person I know!.....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 AM   #30
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
That's a fairy tale IMO.
I disagree. Despite being a fan of Sabermetrics in most ways, one place where I disagree is the manager's impact on a team. I think that team chemistry starts with the manager, as well as motivating players to give it all they've got.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:32 AM   #31
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see leagues and clubs given more life. Examples: postponements; winter meetings where proposed rule changes are voted upon; unusual, rare events such as draft choices being voided, clubs being forced to play some games on the road because of a problem with their stadium; etc.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #32
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan26 View Post
As it is right now I don't really see how Leader Ability, Desire to Win, Loyalty, or Greed come into play. Where you would expect Greed and Desire to Win to matter it usually doesn't, as I've had guys want to re-sign with me despite poor seasons and high Desire for Win ratings. Likewise, I don't necessarily notice the high Greed guys demanding more money the the low Greed guys. For Intelligence/Work Rate, I do tend to lean towards guys with higher ratings than lower, though I have no concrete evidence that the higher Work Ethic/Intelligence ratings result in faster development/better players.
I trust they have an effect, however small. The problem is that if OOTP were to make the effects of things like Leader Ability super clear and consistent, it would be unrealistically impactful. Players don't necessarily (or even usually, I would argue) play better just because of someone else's good clubhouse presence. It's a tough thing for OOTP to balance to make it feel "right" in the end.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 06-22-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #33
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
That's true, but my point is it doesn't necessarily make for a great game. I'm all for giving players and teams more "liveliness" (though I'd prioritize the league and club-based things that Le Grande Orange wrote about above) but not if it means that an unrealistically high number of players have some sort of special personality quirk that impacts the game.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 06-22-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #34
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
I'd like to see leagues and clubs given more life. Examples: postponements; winter meetings where proposed rule changes are voted upon; unusual, rare events such as draft choices being voided, clubs being forced to play some games on the road because of a problem with their stadium; etc.
I am right there with you. I'd love to see more of these things within the league, but individual player depth is not important to me.

I think part of the issue with player personality impacts on the real world of baseball is that we only have partial, mostly media-driven information on the subject. So, we get the impression that winning teams have better chemistry (as if the high-character guys from the 2013 Red Sox all got hit by a truck in 2014. If chemistry had a major impact, we wouldn't be seeing that team be one of the worst in the league, since Ellsbury was never considered much of a leader, and literally almost everyone else is still there), that certain high-leadership people drive teammate excellence (when this almost has to be highly variable from season to season, since teams can keep the same roster and have wildly variable player performances), and that managers have a huge intangible impact. We can't tell whether these things are true or not, we can just tell that baseball writers like to tell us about them, because they need stories and straight-up game recaps get old for them to write and for us to read. Using the media's filter to try to judge what actually has an impact on the field strikes me as a very, very bad idea.

On the managers, I suspect that MLB managers are already filtered from among those who have a generally positive impact, so there's a negligible intangible impact between various MLB managers. A MLB manager might be a much better motivator than Joe Blow, but comparing one MLB manager to another might not indicate a difference worth bothering to try to simulate in the game. Or, isn't that already, via "Manage Veterans", "Manage Rookies", and so in in the manager ratings?
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #35
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. That isn't to say that I don't also agree with the OP to some extent too...

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #36
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Here's my problem the game knows when you reach mile stones nice big round numbers but I remember in my fictional league I broke the home run record which was at 732 I hit number 733 and no newspaper even mentioned it. More realistic should be that something like this should be front page news "NEW HOME RUN KING" or something like that. To be honest since nothing was mentioned I was disappointed I wanted to take a screen shop of the article.

Also
Scouting is very ugh I remember I scouted a player (older 9 time all-statr) and the scout said this guy won't accomplish much will never make a team or something in those lines. Really yeah his 35 on his last legs of his career but he won't accomplish much? It should at least say "this 35 year old is a former all-star has hit for power in the last with 512 home runs, won't provide similar numbers now but will be good bench player and influence for the younger players on the team. "

Something like that would be more realistic

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 06-22-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #37
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I completely agree with this. On that note, you could also include stuff like:
  • teams changing the dimensions of their stadiums
  • teams building new stadiums
  • club hires former star as a front office consultant
  • team introduces new mascot
  • owner loses control of his team after offensive comments
  • announcements of which cities were awarded future All Star Games
  • omg, All Star voting updates, that would be crazy
metsguy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #38
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsguy234 View Post
I completely agree with this. On that note, you could also include stuff like:
  • ...owner loses control of his team after offensive comments...
That never happens!
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #39
chemkid
Bat Boy

hi there! i found this thread because i searched the forum for 'personality'.
so, first and foremost, i'm a noob of this game - owner of ootp15 since last sunday - and a baseball-noob, too! but, playing the game as manager of the hanshin tigers, i think giving a 20 year old japanese pitcher 'ryoma matsuda' a personality like "Enjoys a fine cigar after every win." is just plain wrong! - a 76 year old coach... ok... but a 20!! year old sportsman from nippon?! NO WAY!
ok, hope that wasn't to harsh a comment for a first post.

enjoy and cheers!
chem!
chemkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #40
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Here's my problem the game knows when you reach mile stones nice big round numbers but I remember in my fictional league I broke the home run record which was at 732 I hit number 733 and no newspaper even mentioned it. More realistic should be that something like this should be front page news "NEW HOME RUN KING" or something like that. To be honest since nothing was mentioned I was disappointed I wanted to take a screen shop of the article.

Also
Scouting is very ugh I remember I scouted a player (older 9 time all-statr) and the scout said this guy won't accomplish much will never make a team or something in those lines. Really yeah his 35 on his last legs of his career but he won't accomplish much? It should at least say "this 35 year old is a former all-star has hit for power in the last with 512 home runs, won't provide similar numbers now but will be good bench player and influence for the younger players on the team. "

Something like that would be more realistic
I share your complaints to a T! These two things probably bug me the most.
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote