Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #41
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

It helps that wspahn described how he plays the game. I can understand how this issue would bother him more than it would me. Did Markus intend for all second- and third-place finishes to be added to the total in parentheses? I'm more inclined to think he never intended it. Personally, it would never occur to me that the total in parentheses would include anything other than first-place finishes.
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #42
endgame
Hall Of Famer

All very good information. I've added the supportive comments to the existing 'bug' report. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #43
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
It helps that wspahn described how he plays the game. I can understand how this issue would bother him more than it would me. Did Markus intend for all second- and third-place finishes to be added to the total in parentheses? I'm more inclined to think he never intended it. Personally, it would never occur to me that the total in parentheses would include anything other than first-place finishes.
Consistency should, IMO, be paramount. The difficulty here is not uncommon- and no offense intended -in that was is intended isn't always explained or documented. I hope the re-opening of the issue will provoke a solid response and/or reaction. You may well be right. In either case, I know Markus will always, in the end, aim first to achieve action that pleases as many users as possible. We'll see. Thanks to all, again.

Last edited by endgame; 05-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #44
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

You're right, endgame. Even as beta testers, we're not always sure what Markus intended.
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #45
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspahn21 View Post
That isn't possible in OOTP15 as far as I can tell and I just tried in 14 and can't do it there either. Am I missing something?
Looks like it was removed, which sucks. I'd rather have that and keep the number in parenthesis as they are tbh. Not gonna jack your thread though.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #46
HuachucaThunder
Minors (Triple A)

I see that the OPer started having this problem after the awards were handed out in 1872. If he is playing the default setup under historical league and starting in 1871 and not editing the league struture, that means two leagues with 4 teams each. Could it be possible that Spalding was traded from one league to another and won it both years in different leagues? I am just asking as the OP stated he sims the seasons rather than play them out. Just an observation.

Last edited by HuachucaThunder; 05-17-2014 at 07:14 PM.
HuachucaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #47
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuachucaThunder View Post
I see that the OPer started having this problem after the awards were handed out in 1872. If he is playing the default setup under historical league and starting in 1871 and not editing the league struture, that means two leagues with 4 teams each. Could it be possible that Spalding was traded from one league to another and won it both years in different leagues? I am just asking as the OP stated he sims the seasons rather than play them out. Just an observation.

No. It counts each time the player makes the top 3. That's definite and there is no argument on that point. It's really more a question of should it or shouldn't it.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #48
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Unfortuantely as ridiculous as you may think this is.... for me it is a game breaker. I can not start a league with this issue. I do not play my games. I sim years at a time of a fictional historical universe mixing real historical players and those I manually add of my choosing and then I relish in pouring over the history reports.

The game has always used the number in parenthesis to denote times WON and I am not sure why you would change that now. After 200 years of history it is nice to look at the awards page and see the number in parenthesis and go oh that guy won it 3 times or look this guy won it 12 times in 15 years he was a legend. Now the number is really useless because I don't know if they won or if they were just runner-up and honestly I don't care if they were runner-up! If they are a player I choose to shortlist and actually care if they came in as runner-up then I will go look at their career history not the awards page.

If it stays then yes I do want my money back.

As you can see I have been a member of these forums for over 10 years and only have around 400 posts. I am not very vocal and never really had a lot to complain about but this one is eating at me because I can't even play my game.

Again, I apologize that I am so OCD about this and it is a small issue to most of you. I am sorry if I am wasting your time but it really does matter to me and what harm would it do IF what I feel is a bug remains, for one guy to get his cash back and then go back to playing OOTP 14 and hope it is fixed in next years version?)

Edit: In the Navy they always say don't bitch about a problem and not bring a solution so here is my solution to try and make everyone happy, I am not a developer and have no idea the difficulty in doing this but

Is it too difficult to code for it to be (2:3) and have it as (WON:TOP3) or something similar to make everyone happy and avoid ambiguity?

I play similar to you just with fictional players and I'm in the same boat how it is disappointing. Would love to see those runner up totals separated in another column (and off topic slightly, but would love to see total awards options in the "show all players" per league view.

I must admit, there are often times when I hear of a new feature and get excited for it but when the game is released I realize that it feels like it was just tacked on...this is one of those cases.

Last edited by dave1927p; 05-17-2014 at 08:21 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #49
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I play similar to you just with fictional players and I'm in the same boat how it is disappointing. Would love to see those runner up totals separated in another column (and off topic slightly, but would love to see total awards options in the "show all players" per league view.

I must admit, there are often times when I hear of a new feature and get excited for it but when the game is released I realize that it feels like it was just tacked on...this is one of those cases.
I agree with the OP. Markus needs to separate runner up totals from 1st place totals. Here's hoping this issue is resolved in the next patch!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #50
HuachucaThunder
Minors (Triple A)

No. It counts each time the player makes the top 3. That's definite and there is no argument on that point. It's really more a question of should it or shouldn't it.

Okay, I can deal with that. Thanks for the insight. But going back to the OP and a few other posts, this should somehow be fixed.
HuachucaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #51
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
I vote for shouldn't.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #52
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

My league started IN 12 1981-2054 and was a 3 Major league with 4 being added in 14 full minors and 10 feeders across the board things dont always go well but other then losing 3 years because of a tool i used in 14 my league is still going strong. I Always import right away, there are bugs but if you keep back ups and don t changes to many settings till after the first patch your league should be good, we all understand there are problems but dont give up man.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH

Last edited by 24Rocks; 05-17-2014 at 11:06 PM.
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #53
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
I can't even play the game.

The bugs are so frustrating that I can't even start a league because I know the history reports will be incorrect. The main one is the Awards bug where it thinks that coming in 3rd in voting is a win in the league history.

There is no way to fix your league history so you can't even start a league without having to look at this glaring inaccuracy. ugh!
No worries, the next patch will fix this (it's just a display issue, not a data tracking one), even for existing leagues. So, you can start your league now
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #54
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Let's be clear. I don't think your position is ridiculous, and hope I didn't infer that in any of my comments. You're not only entitled to your opinion, but if it interferes with your quality of experience, I think you're obligated to articulate that disruption and I think you've done so well. No problem.

I would ask this, and it may be my memory's lacking, aside from boxscores referencing SB, HR, etc.... where has "the game ... always used the number in parenthesis to denote times WON?" Thanks in advance. Edit: And your suggestion for solution is a pretty good one, IMO.
Endgame - Multiple award winners have always had that number there to indicate multiple wins. It shows on the awards and gold gloves in history.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #55
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
In previous versions of the game you could clicks on the headers (Year, HotYA, PotYA, RotYA) and it would sort them. Year would sort by year, but the others would sort alphabetically by last name.
This page was never sortable in previous versions.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #56
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unfortuantely as ridiculous as you may think this is.... for me it is a game breaker. I can not start a league with this issue. I do not play my games. I sim years at a time of a fictional historical universe mixing real historical players and those I manually add of my choosing and then I relish in pouring over the history reports.

The game has always used the number in parenthesis to denote times WON and I am not sure why you would change that now. After 200 years of history it is nice to look at the awards page and see the number in parenthesis and go oh that guy won it 3 times or look this guy won it 12 times in 15 years he was a legend. Now the number is really useless because I don't know if they won or if they were just runner-up and honestly I don't care if they were runner-up! If they are a player I choose to shortlist and actually care if they came in as runner-up then I will go look at their career history not the awards page.

If it stays then yes I do want my money back.

As you can see I have been a member of these forums for over 10 years and only have around 400 posts. I am not very vocal and never really had a lot to complain about but this one is eating at me because I can't even play my game.

Again, I apologize that I am so OCD about this and it is a small issue to most of you. I am sorry if I am wasting your time but it really does matter to me and what harm would it do IF what I feel is a bug remains, for one guy to get his cash back and then go back to playing OOTP 14 and hope it is fixed in next years version?

Edit: In the Navy they always say don't bitch about a problem and not bring a solution so here is my solution to try and make everyone happy, I am not a developer and have no idea the difficulty in doing this but

Is it too difficult to code for it to be (2:3) and have it as (WON:TOP3) or something similar to make everyone happy and avoid ambiguity?
There's nothing OCD about your concern. I have not touched OOTP since release because of this bug. It's extremely important to me also.

This started happening in 15 when the game started tracking 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes for awards. It messes your history up seriously.

I, like you, understand this isn't important to a lot of people, but everybody plays differently and what's important to one isn't to another.

For me, I will continue to leave 15 sitting all by itself in the corner until this gets fixed.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #57
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No worries, the next patch will fix this (it's just a display issue, not a data tracking one), even for existing leagues. So, you can start your league now
And there was beer and happiness.

Any chance of an on/off option for nicknames?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #58
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
There's nothing OCD about your concern. I have not touched OOTP since release because of this bug. It's extremely important to me also.

This started happening in 15 when the game started tracking 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes for awards. It messes your history up seriously.

I, like you, understand this isn't important to a lot of people, but everybody plays differently and what's important to one isn't to another.

For me, I will continue to leave 15 sitting all by itself in the corner until this gets fixed.
If you read what Markus wrote, you can start now.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #59
wspahn21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Thank you so much for personally responding to this thread. I know you are busy working on improving the game for everyone and not just my little annoyance.

I am glad that it is being fixed not just for myself but for everyone.
wspahn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #60
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
This page was never sortable in previous versions.
Not true, it was definitely sortable. If not last year, the year prior.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote