Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

When to promote from the International Complex?

Is there a sound strategy to promoting players from the International Complex aside from when they are "ready"? Is it risky to promote someone too soon? Will they develop faster in rookie ball with great coaching? I have a couple players shown below who I'm not sure whether I should promote them or not. Ratings on the 20-80 scale, other ratings (fielding, stamina, etc.) on the 1-100 scale.

MrWideFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Whenever you think they're ready, they'll progress. They'll be better off playing as much as they can, so make sure there are spots on the team's roster for these kids to be starters. Good coaching helps too.
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
hfield007
All Star Starter

Generally I won't promote until they are 20 unless they obtain one star overall at 17 / 18, have a very high potential i'll promote at 19. other than this i wait, i check when they are 19 and decide whether to release them or let the game manually work them into my farm at 20.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
Whenever you think they're ready, they'll progress. They'll be better off playing as much as they can, so make sure there are spots on the team's roster for these kids to be starters. Good coaching helps too.
If he isn't ready it will hurt his development. My question is when are they ready?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

I don't consider promoting until they're 18. Assuming they're going to Rookie ball, they'll be playing with and against recently drafted guys their own age.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

You might want to do a comparison between your int'l complex player(s) and other players in your minor league system to see how they're progressing.

Let's say both your int'l complex player and another Rookie ball player are the same age (18 for my example), and they both have similar Current ratings. If your International player has a higher ceiling, I'd promote him and take your chances. Of course, this depends on if you have a huge stockpile of talent already at the Rookie or short A level. If you do, keep your high potential player in the int'l complex for another year.

I usually pull 19 year old possible studs out of the int'l complex and get them started in my minor league system. There's usually enough room, since most of the other guys I draft end up being bums.
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
RamMan12
Major Leagues

Since I'm using the new ratings system, I'm checking relative ratings based on my rookie league and promoting when the player is good enough to start in rookie league or better.
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for the comments guys. Most of what you have suggested I've been doing already. I just don't want to screw things up.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #9
NateAndStuff
Minors (Triple A)

Don't you also need to consider service time? I wouldn't suggest promoting them until at least 18, and even then, only guys who look like they're clearly ready for rookie ball. Otherwise, just let them wait a few more years.
NateAndStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan12 View Post
Since I'm using the new ratings system, I'm checking relative ratings based on my rookie league and promoting when the player is good enough to start in rookie league or better.
whats the new rating system... u talking stars or 20-80?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:47 AM   #11
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan12 View Post
The new relativistic ratings are perfect for this.

I don't pay attention to age, myself, just ratings. I use 1-100 scale, and if he's 16, 17, whatever, but he's got 40/30/30/30/30 or whatever, he's off to the GCL, Rule V be damned (for the most part).
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:52 AM   #12
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
The new relativistic ratings are perfect for this.

I don't pay attention to age, myself, just ratings. I use 1-100 scale, and if he's 16, 17, whatever, but he's got 40/30/30/30/30 or whatever, he's off to the GCL, Rule V be damned (for the most part).
See this is what I was looking for. Do you use those ratings as a baseline?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #13
RamMan12
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
whats the new rating system... u talking stars or 20-80?
I'm talking about the new relative rating system tejdog mentioned.

I will say though, I prefer to wait until my players are at least 18 before I do any promoting.
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #14
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWideFrame View Post
See this is what I was looking for. Do you use those ratings as a baseline?
Firstly, I never, ever, ever bother with sending "real prospects" to the DSL/VSL, I find it to be a waste of time. Why? Because you're starting their pro service clock, and the leagues, if they mimic real life, mean absolutely positively nothing. I've made the mistake many times of falling in love with DSL stats IRL and getting burned. So it's GCL and up for me from the complex.

I'd turn relativistic ratings on for the purposes of analyzing who to promote from the complex to GCL. 1-100 and 20-80 scale, 50 is average across the board. Using 1-100 scale, I'd typically want to see 35/30/20/30/30 or better before even considering promoting. Anything under that and the player in question is likely to hit like .125/.175/.240 and you've burned a year of pro service time (thinking down the road for the Rule V draft). You could want to be safer than me and not promote until he's got one GCL-league average skill (contact, or eye). I'm of the mindset that playing games in a real league, especially where I stack coaches of "outstanding" or better is better then being in the complex.

35/30/20/30/30
30/40/40/55/40
50/35/15/35/30

Stuff like that is when I'd promote. As for pitchers, I think 35/35/35 or 40/40/40 would be a good place.

But this is all guesswork on my part. I had the system down pat pre-relativistic ratings, and find myself having to relearn benchmarks. All my filters are basically useless now, lol.

Basically, to sum this rambling up - there's what I'd do, right now, which is subject to change. YMMV.

Live long and prosper. May the Force be with you.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 05-06-2014, 04:42 AM   #15
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you for the thorough response. What is perplexing to me is how the computer teams manage their rookie league teams. From what I understand the DSL/VSL should be the lowest level of minor leagues. However, from my experience the computer will put more talented players in those leagues compared to the GCL. The problem with that is, if I put my most raw players in the DSL which is where they would be in real life, they get destroyed by the competition because the computer is putting more talented players on those teams.

Have you noticed this as well?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWideFrame View Post
Thank you for the thorough response. What is perplexing to me is how the computer teams manage their rookie league teams. From what I understand the DSL/VSL should be the lowest level of minor leagues. However, from my experience the computer will put more talented players in those leagues compared to the GCL. The problem with that is, if I put my most raw players in the DSL which is where they would be in real life, they get destroyed by the competition because the computer is putting more talented players on those teams.

Have you noticed this as well?
I'll be honest, I never look. I micromanage everything in my organization, I set all lineups/pitching staves on Day 1 of the season, then I just sim.

And it's unnerving

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #17
Harmon Killebrew
Minors (Double A)

Being new to the game (doing the playoffs for my first year now), I'm confused here...

If I have the A.I. in charge of promoting/demoting players for my minors, does the A.I. call up players from the International Complex and put them into the minor league teams?
Or is that my job since I control the major league team promotions/demotions?
I'm not sure how the game handles what it calls this "International complex"
Harmon Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #18
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

I have another Question How do you guys use so many Minors, I always have AI do the Minors but when I started In OOTP there was 3 Minors thats it with like no players now there is full minors and full players if you want to or if you have feeders and after OOTP 7 just cut out every thing but AAA, AA, 2 A teams, so i can keep track of my players some just get lost don't you think?

I usually promote at 18 if I payed alot for them or if i have a lot of injury's and my lowest team gets to 25 players because alot of the ones decline if you leave them there to long and there overall ratings dont progress well when they are 23 and stuck in A ball, now this doesn't always happen but overall i think the ones that i promote early have better success at least on my team and the few that I traded away

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH

Last edited by 24Rocks; 05-19-2014 at 02:02 AM.
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #19
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Keep in mind the Rule V service clock too; the moment they hit a minor league roster, you start that particular clock. However, they won't learn as much in the complex as they will in the minors.

18 is a good year to promote them; 20 is too late in my opinion. For an exceptional talent, 17, but unless you desperately need prospects, I wouldn't send anybody from the complex straightaway to the minors.
Avindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #20
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

With this, I have been checking to see how the AI handles them, and a vast majority are thrown into rookie league at age 18/19 with mixed results.

Which is good, these players should be much higher risk than HS and college players

As for minor leagues, I am OCD with my minors...I need 3 catchers at every level, for Rookie to AA I have a 6 man strict rotation and I make sure the rosters are at the limit mostly with 3 players at all other positions if I can

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"

Last edited by Carlton; 05-19-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote