Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
BigCity
All Star Starter

More whining about stories ;)

There have been multiple posts about how many stories are missing for games and performances, etc.

But, if there is ONE fix that has to be made it should be to make sure a story is written when a new TOP PERFORMANCE leader is posted. It just bugs the h___ out of me when someone moves to the top of the Performance list and there's no mention at all of his feat - but a guy with a 3 hitter the same day will get a story.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

FWIW, a "top performance" is not technically the same thing as an achievement such as a no-hitter (I don't think 3-hitters get news stories currently?). That said, I get your point and a daily news story highlighting the best performance would be a nice addition.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
endgame
Hall Of Famer

oli, I may be wrong, but you may be referring to performance of the day achievements, while BigCity is referencing the Top Performance Report, where a season's best accomplishment should matter in a new story.
Attached Images
Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
oli, I may be wrong, but you may be referring to performance of the day achievements, while BigCity is referencing the Top Performance Report, where a season's best accomplishment should matter in a new story.
You got it right endgame. It was the "report" I was talking about. Any performance that makes it to the top 20 list should have a story attached to it as well.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
You got it right endgame. It was the "report" I was talking about. Any performance that makes it to the top 20 list should have a story attached to it as well.
I like the idea. One issue though. How would it deal with the early season when we'd get 40 emails on opening day for the best 20 pitching and hitting performances?
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

How about news stories when new single game/playoff single game records are broken or tied? Plus team/season/career records?

I think the only one I see is HR record and usually that is incorrect.

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anybody who makes the top 20 list usually does get a news story. For instance, if someone gets five hits or six RBI or something like that in a single game, it gets noted. Or are you suggesting that the news story should say "Ken Smith's five-hit game today puts him first on the list of top performances"?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Anybody who makes the top 20 list usually does get a news story. For instance, if someone gets five hits or six RBI or something like that in a single game, it gets noted. Or are you suggesting that the news story should say "Ken Smith's five-hit game today puts him first on the list of top performances"?
Take a look at one of your leagues. Cross check the Game performance stories in the news list with the Game Performance report. About half those who appear on the report do not have a story.

Here's an example...

Players #1 and #4 have a story. #2, #3, and #5 do not.

Another example, same game, pitcher list....

Player #5 has a story. #1, #2, #3, and #4 do not.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by BigCity; 02-10-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Take a look at one of your leagues. Cross check the Game performance stories in the news list with the Game Performance report. About half those who appear on the report do not have a story.
Well, I don't pay much attention to news stories, so I'll take your word for it. But wouldn't that mean somebody would have one of the best performances of the season practically every day in the first few weeks of the season? For instance, on opening day, wouldn't there be twenty reports generated? I never check that top-20 list until the season is over, so I don't know, but I assume it's recalculated throughout the season.

EDIT: I see PJH5165 already addressed that problem

Last edited by joefromchicago; 02-10-2014 at 03:32 PM.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
BigCity
All Star Starter

Remember that we are talking about the "best" performances. During the first few weeks - yes - the report will be filled with 40 (20+20) of the "best" performances but they won't be the "near 100" point variety. I'm making a case that after a season is completed, only 3 of the above 10 performances are story worthy? We certainly can do better than that without starting the season off with 40 stories - 30 of which will slide off the bottom of the tables as the season progresses.

Bottom line, its not right that 7 of 10 best-performance players don't rate a story when every other performance related story in the season is not as good as theirs.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjh5165 View Post
I like the idea. One issue though. How would it deal with the early season when we'd get 40 emails on opening day for the best 20 pitching and hitting performances?
I like this idea too. I would think that some type of minimum score could be put in place that would need to be met to trigger the email. That would seem to prevent the 40 emails on opening day, and only the performances that would last, or have a chance of lasting would be sent.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
ZMan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
I like this idea too. I would think that some type of minimum score could be put in place that would need to be met to trigger the email. That would seem to prevent the 40 emails on opening day, and only the performances that would last, or have a chance of lasting would be sent.
Based on my previous years' leagues, a benchmark of 65 or above among hitters or 85 or above among pitchers seem like they would be worthy of triggering the email (as these scores usually make the list).

You could make these 60/80 instead for the sake of producing a few more stories about quality performances.
ZMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
BigCity
All Star Starter

The more I think about this, I think we're expecting a problem that doesn't exist. The 20 top performances fill up now the first few weeks of the season anyway - they just fill up with performances that are in the 30-50 range instead of higher - and most of those do not get stories.

The issue is that stories that DO get high points (in the case above performances over 90) are not getting stories. The problem is "everything" that is in the 80+ category should get a story because they represent the best performances of the season.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Quote:
Oops.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The more I think about this, I think we're expecting a problem that doesn't exist. The 20 top performances fill up now the first few weeks of the season anyway - they just fill up with performances that are in the 30-50 range instead of higher - and most of those do not get stories.

The issue is that stories that DO get high points (in the case above performances over 90) are not getting stories. The problem is "everything" that is in the 80+ category should get a story because they represent the best performances of the season.
I suppose, lacking direct coding into the news environment, it's always a possibility this might be embraced in storylines. I don't know. I'm not one to be overly concerned about the early season entries. In fact, if this were put into the news environment, I'm sure we could set a parameter that it does not get mentioned unless the game score is >X, whatever is deemed appropriately noteworthy. Suffice to say, they're important achievements and I do think they should get attention when they happen.

Now here's a "refresh-my-memory" question. At one point, the report seemed to ensure a distribution so that most, if not all, teams were fairly represented. Has that changed, so that the score, above all else, is what drives the entry into the report?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Now here's a "refresh-my-memory" question. At one point, the report seemed to ensure a distribution so that most, if not all, teams were fairly represented. Has that changed, so that the score, above all else, is what drives the entry into the report?
I suspect the only "thresholds" used to determine if there is a story or not are stats related to one player in a single game - NOT on the point system used for best game performances. That's the only way (I think) these performances are being missed.

I'm not sure if there is anything to "balance" the report by team. In fact, I'm not sure I see the purpose of that. If a team is bad enough not to warrant a story, thats part of the experience.

Going back to my first point, I actually think the performance point system used in the report is what should be used to initiate a story. That would insure only the best performances got stories in the end.

Last edited by BigCity; 02-11-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #17
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjh5165 View Post
There's already logic in the story creator to only run a given story on a certain range of dates. In this case, you could pretty easily tell it to not run the top-20-performances story until, say, May or June.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
There's already logic in the story creator to only run a given story on a certain range of dates. In this case, you could pretty easily tell it to not run the top-20-performances story until, say, May or June.
Not sure I totally understood what you said, but also not sure that would solve the problem. 7 of 10 best performances in my league above did not get stories... doesn't that have to be because the story code isn't looking at the best performance formulas?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #19
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure I totally understood what you said, but also not sure that would solve the problem. 7 of 10 best performances in my league above did not get stories... doesn't that have to be because the story code isn't looking at the best performance formulas?
I was tagging on to what you just said. I think you're right that the game doesn't automatically look for the top game performances or even have a way at the moment to allow you to create a story that does so. I'm pretty sure it only allows you to look at hard-coded performances like getting 5 hits in a game or 10 Ks or throwing a no-hitter.

I was responding to the particular objection that if you made this story begin on Opening Day, you'd get flooded with emails at the beginning of the season talking about how Player X had "one of the best games of the year" after he went 1 for 3 with a 3 run HR. You can code the stories to not run at all until, say, May 15, at which time there'd presumably be a large enough database of performances that you'd only get notified on really awesome happenings.

So, as another thing to add in here... OOTP has the players of the week, power rankings, and random "here are the best players this year/of all time in this weird category" emails. How about, once we get the ability to look at the top game performances added into the storyline code, adding to this weekly barrage of emails a listing of the top 5 game performances so far this year? That would be neat.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #20
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I was tagging on to what you just said. I think you're right that the game doesn't automatically look for the top game performances or even have a way at the moment to allow you to create a story that does so. I'm pretty sure it only allows you to look at hard-coded performances like getting 5 hits in a game or 10 Ks or throwing a no-hitter.

I was responding to the particular objection that if you made this story begin on Opening Day, you'd get flooded with emails at the beginning of the season talking about how Player X had "one of the best games of the year" after he went 1 for 3 with a 3 run HR. You can code the stories to not run at all until, say, May 15, at which time there'd presumably be a large enough database of performances that you'd only get notified on really awesome happenings.

So, as another thing to add in here... OOTP has the players of the week, power rankings, and random "here are the best players this year/of all time in this weird category" emails. How about, once we get the ability to look at the top game performances added into the storyline code, adding to this weekly barrage of emails a listing of the top 5 game performances so far this year? That would be neat.
You wouldn't want to code it by date. Players do have awesome performances before May 15th. I don't want to wait until May 15th to find out someone had 5 hits and 9 Rbi's on opening day.

I like the suggestion someone made above - a certain "game score" attained should trigger a news story.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote