Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjh5165 View Post
Most people definitely don't play OOTP on more than two computers. Still though, I agree that for the rare player who does use 3+ computers, buying the game on steam or getting a steam key is a big plus and the only way to go about purchasing.

but you will be able to go into any internet café travelling the world and play the game. can you image, you are walking the streets of Prague, and you can go and just play, without having to carry your computer with you... 3 days later, Budapest and same thing.. Rome=OOTP...
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #22
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I am actually not calling that ability down.

I just thought it was odd to read 'there is no reason to not use Steam' followed with 'well, maybe if you only use two or less computers' which would be the vast majority of users, best that I can tell.

I don't use Steam not because I am 'anti-Steam' but because it adds nothing for me.

I download the game, install it, and play it. That's it.

The only reason to switch to Steam is if I am forced to do so.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
but you will be able to go into any internet café travelling the world and play the game. can you image, you are walking the streets of Prague, and you can go and just play, without having to carry your computer with you... 3 days later, Budapest and same thing.. Rome=OOTP...
I see the advantages, I'm just saying that most people have no need to play on more than 2 computers. I'm not knocking Steam at all, I just personally have no need for it as of now.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
Yeah, I am actually not calling that ability down.

I just thought it was odd to read 'there is no reason to not use Steam' followed with 'well, maybe if you only use two or less computers' which would be the vast majority of users, best that I can tell.

I don't use Steam not because I am 'anti-Steam' but because it adds nothing for me.

I download the game, install it, and play it. That's it.

The only reason to switch to Steam is if I am forced to do so.
I agree with you on that, I will not be switching to Steam unless they add a workshop that becomes the place to get OOTP mods. Steam adds nothing for most veteran players right now. I'm not anti-Steam either at all and I think it'll be very helpful increasing the game's visibility and drawing in new customers, but there just isn't currently any appeal to a vast majority of people who are already yearly OOTP buyers.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #25
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Another advantage is that you can never lose your install, and yet another one is that you never have to worry about updating. Or worry about where you put your CD, or your license number.

If Steam goes to cloud storage for OOTP saves then I can see more people suddenly finding a reason to use it.

A Workshop would be another huge reason to use Steam. Workshops do absolute wonders for modding.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 01-29-2014 at 06:47 PM.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #26
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

If Steam goes to cloud storage for OOTP saves then I can see more people suddenly finding a reason to use it.
Steam going to cloud storage for OOTP saves would be just plain awesome. I would 100% use Steam if that ever happens.

That and a Workshop would get most of us on Steam, I believe.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Steam going to cloud storage for OOTP saves would be just plain awesome. I would 100% use Steam if that ever happens.

This would be an absolute game-changer in so many ways.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Those two things and head to head play would get almost everybody, I would bet.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #29
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
If I was wandering around Rome, Budapest and Prague I'd probably have better things to do than play OOTP.

Not that I disagree with your point as such, just saying
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #30
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
If I was wandering around Rome, Budapest and Prague I'd probably have better things to do than play OOTP.

Not that I disagree with your point as such, just saying
that actually was the point.... sarcasm does not work well on the internet :-)
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #31
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I know nothing about steam, but reading this thread leads me to ask this -- does using steam mean that you do not need to install any software on your computer?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #32
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Yeah, I thought the whole multiple computer thing sounded so cool. That was when I was under the impression it was some type of cloud service in which I could play the same league on whatever computer I may be using at the time. Since it's not, I'm not all that thrilled one way or the other. If the whole mod thing (I guess it's called a workshop)gets up and running, I could get interested, as I'm not the swiftest tool in the garage when it comes to installing mods.
Well Wolf is under the impression that all those millions are the demographic of a simulation baseball game, and that is not the case.

If anyone thinks baseball is getting new fans by the millions each year, that is not the case, and OOTP, I would venture to guess is like a fiscal conservative viewpoint...the older you get the more appealing it is.

Games like MLB the Show, a PC version with Mods and H2h is absolutely appealing, to 40 yr old guys ? I'm not so sure...we suck at learning new tricks

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #33
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I know nothing about steam, but reading this thread leads me to ask this -- does using steam mean that you do not need to install any software on your computer?
You need the Steam software installed, which holds all the games you've bought. From there, you can pick and choose which games are downloaded and installed.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #34
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
Well Wolf is under the impression that all those millions are the demographic of a simulation baseball game, and that is not the case.
Wrong. Those sixty-five million are POTENTIAL customers. OOTP should see how many it could sell the game to.

Quote:
Games like MLB the Show, a PC version with Mods and H2h is absolutely appealing, to 40 yr old guys ? I'm not so sure...we suck at learning new tricks
You missed it. That was OOTP with head to head, not MLB The Show. During the numerous threads requesting OOTP head to head, 40+ year old guys were the ones talking about how much they wanted it.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #35
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
It does not.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #36
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
You need the Steam software installed, which holds all the games you've bought. From there, you can pick and choose which games are downloaded and installed.
So you probably can't play in a random internet cafe because I assume most places like that would block you from downloading the Steam software, let alone the game software. Or at work, for that matter, not that any of us would want to do that!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #37
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

I think we've just stumbled onto a new business venture... Steam Cafes.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #38
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
So you probably can't play in a random internet cafe because I assume most places like that would block you from downloading the Steam software, let alone the game software. Or at work, for that matter, not that any of us would want to do that!
Yeah, exactly.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #39
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:

If anyone thinks baseball is getting new fans by the millions each year, that is not the case, and OOTP, I would venture to guess is like a fiscal conservative viewpoint...the older you get the more appealing it is.

I don't think age really has a lot to do with it. I personally got into OOTP a few years ago when i was 19 because I love baseball and spent a ton of time reading about and analyzing transactions, and could never enjoy console baseball games because the minor leagues and contract negotiations were so unrealistic.

My interests within the game have definitely evolved, as originally I just played MLB quickstart leagues with the Braves and tried to "be Frank Wren" and now I am playing fully fictional stats-only with dynasty reports.

The demographic of OOTP is not really an age group in my opinion, it's more of a subset of hardcore baseball fans of all ages.

I'm 22 years old and I'm sure there are more posters around here my age or younger. I know one guy mentioned he was 13 on a thread last week.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #40
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You have to install the game locally. It also installs the latest patch which in the case of v14 is not something I want.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote