Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #61
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
They're not going to fix it. I now regret preordering.

Let's remember that he doesn't have to fix anything. It isn't broke. Things just need to be added
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #62
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Because league news are very time-consuming to do.

Anyway, I am still about to spend time in this area for OOTP 15, so probably some of the stuff posted here will be added. However, this does not apply to game recaps of any kind, as this is incredibly complex and something for a future version.
Thank you. Playoff news is important.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #63
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
Let's remember that he doesn't have to fix anything. It isn't broke. Things just need to be added
A news system that leaves the playoffs completely out of league news isn't "broke"? We will simply have to disagree on that one.

But you're right, they don't have to fix anything. On the other hand, that has never and doesn't stop us from asking for things we think that the game needs.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #64
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A news system that leaves the playoffs completely out of league news isn't "broke"? We will simply have to disagree on that one.

But you're right, they don't have to fix anything. On the other hand, that has never and doesn't stop us from asking for things we think that the game needs.

I agree and I am a supporter of this particular cause
Old 03-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #65
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
I agree and I am a supporter of this particular cause
+1. And as a beta team member I can assure you that we have and will continue to ask for better playoff coverage. It also helps immensely for others to ask as well. The more that ask, the better the chance of getting it implemented. Thanks for your support.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #66
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
+1. And as a beta team member I can assure you that we have and will continue to ask for better playoff coverage. It also helps immensely for others to ask as well. The more that ask, the better the chance of getting it implemented. Thanks for your support.
Thank you for yours.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #67
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because league news are very time-consuming to do.

Anyway, I am still about to spend time in this area for OOTP 15, so probably some of the stuff posted here will be added. However, this does not apply to game recaps of any kind, as this is incredibly complex and something for a future version.

Let me just add this point. With the possibility of having so many leagues in a given world (even more so with he extra foreign leagues in 15?) it makes having these extra news stories even that much more important.

I run a very small world precisely because I don't want to spend the time having to dig through each league for playoff info or other notable story lines in other leagues.

Now, if more post season news stories could be generated and sent to my inbox, that would change my playing style in a heartbeat.

I take you at your word when you say it is very time consuming, but I feel this game has somehow skated by all these years without this needed component being more vociferously advocated for. I suppose the addition of the create you own news story feature helped, but I have no interest in creating news stories for leagues I have no direct involvement in.

I don't know. I think I am rambling now. Sorry
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #68
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

That was great.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #69
BigCity
All Star Starter

In lieu of stories, why can't we have a Playoff Summary which would be a bullet list of all minor leagues? Something like ....

* XYZ League: Williamsport beats Harrisburg 4 games to 1.
* ABC League: Clairmont edges Tompkins 3 games to 2.

This would be the most basic level for now, but over times a few more sentences could be added with more detail.

I assume such a report would take a lot less time to put together than full blown stories?
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #70
BradC
All Star Starter

How about a big newspaper that pops up on the screen after the World Series (or whatever you call your finals) ends? The top half of a hometown newspaper that says something like "XXXX: CHAMPS!" I still have a bunch of newspapers from when the Phillies won the WS in 1980.

Then below that it could have a short summary of the final game, as well as some info about the entire series.

A team pic below the headline would be nice too. Or maybe take a photo of a real WS ticker tape parade and fuzz it up and use that, kind of how we take photos of games in action but erase logos and names and such. You make it look ambiguous enough that it could be any city, any team.

And the name of the newspaper could be "XXXX Gazette," with the city name filled in. Maybe you could even change the name of the newspaper, if you want (within a certain character limit).

I realize such a thing could be annoying if you're just simming through seasons in commish mode, so you could disable it too, if you want.

I'm also in the group that wants more crowd noise during big games. When a team wins a playoff series, and especially when they win the championship, I want to hear the crowd roar louder and fireworks go off, if it's their home stadium.

If the winner is the away team, how about the sound of crickets chirping and a few scattered boos? (I'm joking, but actually that could be funny, one of those "Check out what happens in this game" kind of things that gets people talking.)
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #71
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Then below that it could have a short summary of the final game,
That part is exactly the problem. Even short summaries would take a HUGE amount of programming, since so many things may happen in a baseball game and every game is different. Heck, a game can end in X different ways, and the article would have to be able to highlight what's important. It can be done, and I will do it eventually, but this is one of the most complex things one can imagine.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #72
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

How about just who won each playoff game, the final score and the series status? That would still be a huge improvement.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #73
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
How about just who won each playoff game, the final score and the series status? That would still be a huge improvement.
You already got this plus plenty of stats in the playoff coverage screen...
Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #74
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wouldn't this just be a duplication of what's already available on the playoff coverage screen? Guess I should have said ditto. Markus posted same time I did.

Last edited by endgame; 03-11-2014 at 02:56 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #75
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You already got this plus plenty of stats in the playoff coverage screen...
Newspaper. Newspaper. We want it in the league newspaper, because it's important league news.

No more leaving the playoffs out of the newspaper!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #76
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Newspaper. Newspaper. We want it in the league newspaper, because it's important league news.

No more leaving the playoffs out of the newspaper!
Newspaper -> article -> complicated. I wouldn't want to see some pseudo-articles about playoff games there...
Old 03-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #77
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

pisss eww do-do?

Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #78
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Newspaper -> article -> complicated. I wouldn't want to see some pseudo-articles about playoff games there...
Read the thread: a lot of us do. For some of us it's the number one priority for the game.

Not having the playoffs in the newspaper takes away a LOT of the immersion.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #79
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

This is the thank you list for the playoffs in the newspaper idea.

AlexPoland (02-26-2014), BigCity (01-24-2014), Bigrod (01-25-2014), Bluenoser (01-24-2014), bp_ (01-25-2014), BradC (Today), Caporegime (01-27-2014), CHOWDERHEAD (01-25-2014), Cryomaniac (01-25-2014), Dark Horse (01-25-2014), Doc_Brown (01-24-2014), DreamTeams (01-27-2014), dward1 (02-25-2014), ecd1973 (02-25-2014), Eugene Church (01-25-2014), Habsfan18 (02-26-2014), Halara (01-30-2014), haveband (01-25-2014), Honorable_Pawn (01-25-2014), Jabez54 (01-25-2014), JMDurron (02-25-2014), kryakyu12 (02-25-2014), le receveur (01-25-2014), legofarley (01-27-2014), LeiterFanatic (02-25-2014), lukasberger (01-24-2014), mgom27 (01-25-2014), NYY #23 (01-24-2014), old timer (01-25-2014), PSUColonel (02-27-2014), r0nster (03-05-2014), Rich Tiger Fan (02-27-2014), rogmax11 (02-25-2014), Roy Tucker (02-25-2014), sandman2575 (01-24-2014), SF_49er (02-25-2014), silvam14 (01-25-2014), thehef (01-25-2014)

Recognize much of the core of your OOTP users in there?

Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #80
BigCity
All Star Starter

I think one of the reasons this discussion keeps going around in circle is because we have different definitions of the "newspaper".

As it stands now, the newspaper consists of stories and exists as another "report" within OOTP.

A true newspaper is much more than "just" the stories. It is the standings, the leaders lists, draft info, free agent signings, boxscores, scores, schedules AND playoff results... all on various pages of the newspaper.

Yes, all that information is in OOTP now in various reports... but if you want to "experience" the weeks progress in a league, it would be so much cooler to open the newspaper, starting with the standings, and progress page by page through the various things mentioned above.

To address Markus' comments, yes - I realize NEW stories/summaries are tough to write, but I think (at least what I am shooting for in the interum) is to simply provide all the "stuff" thats available now into a newspaper format - nothing more than that.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote