Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
CalvinHobbes
Major Leagues

Help with name file, please

Hello,

I'm trying to start a small Canadian Baseball League. I decided to edit the file nations.txt for Canada to be such:

ID,Country Long,Country Short,Abbr,Nationality,Region,Baseball Level,Ethnicity1,%,Ethnicity2,%,Ethnicity3,%,Ethni city4,%,african,asian,caucasian,east_indian,hispan ic

36,Canada,Canada,CAN,Canadian,4,5,15,81,3,1,4,5,0, 0,2,23,973,1,1

Mostly because I don't like the names given to Asian Canadians (No foreigners). They are normally something like Che-Szuan or Ling-Tzao, which doesn't happen that frequently in Canada. People of Asian decent in Canada normally Americanize the names of their children to be William or Michael or something. I don't mind the occassional player being named like that, but I don't want to have to edit a whole bunch of players.

I've also edited the ethnicities.txt file to read as such:

//language id (do NOT change), language, african (1/1000),asian,east-indian,caucasian,hispanic,

32,Canadian,50,3,0,946,1,
33,French Canadian,50,0,0,949,1,

I just don't think a lot of Asian people come from rural Quebec, so I changed it to be zero.

So I started the game with a names.txt file that I found on this site, and all of the names (players/coaches) seemed to be Ukrainian or Polish or something so I restarted the game and I used different first_names and names.txt that I downloaded from Padre Fan's site. I reimported the names and ethnicities and got the same problem. I recreated the league again, this time using the default names files and I'm still getting these names. Can anybody help me?

I don't think my picture is going to insert because I don't have a URL to attach it's only on my hard drive but I'll give it a try.

[IMG]D:\My Documents\My Pictures\ootp.bmp[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
kq76
Global Moderator

Well, there is a space in your nations line that is probably throwing it all off. The rest of your lines look fine though.

I'm also not sure the reimporting feature works so your only option may be in recreating a league from scratch.

Last edited by kq76; 02-22-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: took out some stuff as I can't remember exactly how they work
Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think the world database is created when you first click on 'Create Custom League'. Once you do that, I think the nations and cities are locked in. Supposedly you can import the ethnicities after the fact, but I've never done it.

So anyway, I think kq is right. You will have to recreate the league with the new nations file to get it to work. Hopefully you backed up your original txt files also in case you ever want to use them again.

Good luck. Let us know if we misunderstand your question.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
CalvinHobbes
Major Leagues

Thank you. I took an extra careful look at the nations file to try and find that space. It wasn't there. But what I did do was match the numbers with labels at the top and found that instead of the first ethnicity being 32 (Canadian), it was 15 (Polish), which kind of explains a lot.

I don't know how it got like that, but I've fixed that and will see what my results are.

Thanks guys, I'm hopeful this will work!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
CalvinHobbes
Major Leagues

Update

Yes. This worked.

Phew that's a relief.

Thanks again guys for your quick response.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
Tony M
Global Moderator

Since this works, I'm going to close this thread now.