Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
LandiHero
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hit and Run Game Strategy

When setting game strategy for a player, does raising hit and run frequency increase the amount that when the player is at bat that they perform a hit and run, or does it affect hit and run frequency when the player is on base? Just curious, sorry if the question is poorly worded.
LandiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
cavacom
Minors (Single A)

I asked this weeks ago. people believe it's for the batter but I never got a CLEAR answer from anybody.
cavacom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavacom View Post
I asked this weeks ago. people believe it's for the batter but I never got a CLEAR answer from anybody.
That's because it isn't even clear in the manual. We need OOTPD to clarify...

https://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com...layer_strategy
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:42 AM   #4
the_mad_monk
Major Leagues

Well, it is a hit... and run strategy. Not a run and hit strategy. So the strategy is relevant to the batter. For example, Chris Davis and Victor Martinez are both slow human beings. But a baseball coach would hit and run with Martinez (at the plate) much more frequently than Chris Davis (if at all).

Last edited by the_mad_monk; 02-22-2019 at 01:43 AM.
the_mad_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mad_monk View Post
Well, it is a hit... and run strategy. Not a run and hit strategy. So the strategy is relevant to the batter.
This makes sense, but it would still be nice to get some confirmation. It's right next to a slider for stealing bases, so it's only natural for people to be a little apprehensive about making assumptions as to which player it's referring to.

I have asked the same question in the past and didn't get a satisfactory response either. Maybe this time we'll have better luck.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
That's because it isn't even clear in the manual. We need OOTPD to clarify...

https://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com...layer_strategy
Not only that, there is NO way to track things like, how many hit and run AB were attempted.....
how many sacrifice bunts were attempted, squeeze plays attemted, successfull.
POTG, Grandslams, cycles, HR distance...etc etc...not tracked
I am apparently the only one that just want more stats, analysis, reporting features....That will make me buy new games....not facegen upgrades
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I was trying to figure this out again last night, with the help of the simulation module.

What I did was clone two players:
Type A: Very high contact and "Avoid K" rating, but slow.
Type B: Low Avoid K rating, but excellent base stealer

And filled my lineup with these clones, alternated with each other so A-B-A-B etc.

On my first attempt I moved the hit-n-run slider all the way to the max for the Type A players and all the way to "none" for the Type B players. If the slider is referring to the batter at the plate, this should produce the best results.

On my second attempt I reversed all the sliders. I set the type A players to never attempt hit & runs, and the type B players to max attempts. If the slider is referring to the runner on first, this should produce the best results.

With 20k simulations each, the results came back almost identical. There was no meaningful difference in runs scored between the two setups.

I tried a third time with everyone's slider set in the very middle. This produced slightly, tiny bit better results than the previous two attempts.

So it was a pretty disappointing and inconclusive experiment.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

It sounds like the sliders don’t really do much.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
It sounds like the sliders don’t really do much.
Well the hit & run slider at least, yeah. Pretty disappointing TBH.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Well the hit & run slider at least, yeah. Pretty disappointing TBH.
Indeed, but I crank that slider all the way up regardless and wish for the best, except for players that have super low Contact/Avoid K's ratings.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #11
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
I've messed with it a little bit as I have some very high contact hitters but it didn't seem to do much in my unscientific observations.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #12
DrTobiasFunke
Minors (Single A)

I'm not sure, but wouldn't hit and run use the baserunning rating instead of the steal rating, since you're going to run no matter what? Steal rating seems to be more about not running on bad pitches than anything else.
DrTobiasFunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #13
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTobiasFunke View Post
I'm not sure, but wouldn't hit and run use the baserunning rating instead of the steal rating, since you're going to run no matter what? Steal rating seems to be more about not running on bad pitches than anything else.
to clarify...my "type B" players had max ratings in all 3 of the baserunning ratings.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
Will_L
All Star Reserve

[QUOTE=chazzycat;4447749]I was trying to figure this out again last night, with the help of the simulation module.

What I did was clone two players:
Type A: Very high contact and "Avoid K" rating, but slow.
Type B: Low Avoid K rating, but excellent base stealer

And filled my lineup with these clones, alternated with each other so A-B-A-B etc.

On my first attempt I moved the hit-n-run slider all the way to the max for the Type A players and all the way to "none" for the Type B players. If the slider is referring to the batter at the plate, this should produce the best results.

On my second attempt I reversed all the sliders. I set the type A players to never attempt hit & runs, and the type B players to max attempts. If the slider is referring to the runner on first, this should produce the best results.

With 20k simulations each, the results came back almost identical. There was no meaningful difference in runs scored between the two setups.

I tried a third time with everyone's slider set in the very middle. This produced slightly, tiny bit better results than the previous two attempts.

So it was a pretty disappointing and inconclusive experiment.[/Q

Last edited by Will_L; 03-08-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Looks like you did what I was going to suggest
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #15
SR000
Minors (Single A)

There are the master strategy faders to consider as well for the managerial style and also adjust to or override team strategy so lots of variables here.
SR000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #16
SR000
Minors (Single A)

Wouldn't make sense for hit and run to affect the runner. You hit and run with slow runners to avoid the double play or to give them a jump and with fast players if you are an aggressive team so that doesn't matter at all nor would creating a hit and run slider make sense for a runner to begin with.

Question might be more if the batter misses the pitch, is the runner's basestealing or his speed the factor and I would guess base stealing cause that's what it is at the point.

In real life the hit and run can create holes in the infield but more often you are asking the hitter to swing at a bad pitch. So his ability to hit that pitch, i.e., avoid Ks or contact, should be your determination as to where to put the slider. According to the manual, contact is his ability to get the bat on the ball but I always assumed avoiding Ks would be avoiding a swing and a miss so it's unclear.

Last edited by SR000; 09-19-2020 at 04:12 PM.
SR000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:29 AM   #17
Timofmars
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Maybe it would be better to set steal sliders to the minimum, then run the same experiment, or even make all the guys have low avoid K rating and the same baserunning related attributes. Then maybe you would see a lot of "steal attempts" which would be cases where the hit and run failed because the batter didn't make contact. So depending on who seemed to be attempting a lot of steals, it would tell you which hit and run slider was affecting those attempts.

Also, maybe instead of alternating A/B, it may be more conclusive just to go A A A B A A A B. Otherwise, you may be having a significant number of B's at bat with a B on 1st, which would create some data that is the opposite of what you are trying to test, muddying the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR000 View Post
According to the manual, contact is his ability to get the bat on the ball but I always assumed avoiding Ks would be avoiding a swing and a miss so it's unclear.
Contact rating is made up of two ratings: Avoid Ks and BABIP. BABIP is hidden, but you can see it in the editor in commissioner mode. So 2 players with equal contact rating should have similar batting averages, but one that has high Avoid Ks will put the ball into play a lot more but with less chance of it being a hit, while the other player with low avoid Ks will strike out a lot more, but balls in play will be much more likely to be hits.

Last edited by Timofmars; 09-21-2020 at 12:35 AM.
Timofmars is offline   Reply With Quote