Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #41
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Why should Ichiro have a good eye rating? His walk rate, which is what that rating represents, was always below average.

I think you are just getting too hung up on the "overall rating". It really doesn't matter that much...just makes those players cheaper. Go ahead and play Ichiro...he is actually a very popular choice.
exactly... best to just cover up the overall rating and look at the rest... if they fit your team's style of play, give 'em a try....

had Matty Alou (64 rating) as my starting CF for 10 seasons (until I pulled a perfect Trout from a pack a couple days ago).... he had a career avg over .300 for me... don't let the rating fool you.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #42
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

I am just trying to figure out how to field a team. Yes, there more to it than just the triple crown stats. I was fortunate to watch Brock play and he was always a good defensive player. I still think he was way better in the field than Judge...

I came from the world of APBA and Strat-O-Matic to the computer stuff.

I have basically taken out all my guys rated 80 and over and replaced them with players from the past. So if your playing me in the diamond league D358, you should win our series. But, the game hasn't actually became a tanking situation.
BidPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #43
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BidPro View Post
I am just trying to figure out how to field a team. Yes, there more to it than just the triple crown stats. I was fortunate to watch Brock play and he was always a good defensive player. I still think he was way better in the field than Judge...

I came from the world of APBA and Strat-O-Matic to the computer stuff.

I have basically taken out all my guys rated 80 and over and replaced them with players from the past. So if your playing me in the diamond league D358, you should win our series. But, the game hasn't actually became a tanking situation.
I bet a lot of the people here came from the same world. I started playing Longball and switched to APBA in the 80s.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #44
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Not sure why I'm reminded of this, but the memory brought on a chuckle. I can remember anxiously watching what I think was the first ever televised baseball skills contests. One of the skills used outfield range and the player would be given points for getting to and catching a ball, but would receive more points if it was determined to be a difficult catch. They had several players with good speed and range who easily would get to all balls and catch them. Then came a player I expected to finish at the bottom. I can remember him running as fast as he could to get near the ball, then slow up so he was forced to make a diving catch. Because they were diving catches, he would get bonus points even though to me it appeared he was deliberately timing the catch so he had to dive rather than continue running at the same speed and make an easy catch. Unfortunately, he got the bonus points and won that skill IIRC.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #45
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I bet a lot of the people here came from the same world. I started playing Longball and switched to APBA in the 80s.

Started with the 1971 Sports Illustrated baseball game mostly playing with the All Time All Stars.

Played in a face to face Strat-o-Matic league and also bought Longball back in 1978.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #46
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
Not sure why I'm reminded of this, but the memory brought on a chuckle. I can remember anxiously watching what I think was the first ever televised baseball skills contests. One of the skills used outfield range and the player would be given points for getting to and catching a ball, but would receive more points if it was determined to be a difficult catch. They had several players with good speed and range who easily would get to all balls and catch them. Then came a player I expected to finish at the bottom. I can remember him running as fast as he could to get near the ball, then slow up so he was forced to make a diving catch. Because they were diving catches, he would get bonus points even though to me it appeared he was deliberately timing the catch so he had to dive rather than continue running at the same speed and make an easy catch. Unfortunately, he got the bonus points and won that skill IIRC.

heh.... nothing like adding a little showmanship and making the routine plays look spectacular and the spectacular plays look miraculous
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #47
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Started with the 1971 Sports Illustrated baseball game mostly playing with the All Time All Stars.

Played in a face to face Strat-o-Matic league and also bought Longball back in 1978.
I started with 1971 Sports Illustrated Baseball and switched to APBA in 1976.

If you played Sports Illustrated Baseball, check out Dombrov Baseball at www.dombrov.com. Will bring back some memories.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #48
zrog2000
All Star Starter

What's really funny is that I started keeping track of my APBA stats on the spreadsheet portion of Appleworks. Yup, I was using spreadsheets when I was 12 years old in 1983. I'm probably one of the few people in the world with 36 years of spreadsheet experience. lol

Well I'm sure there are more than a few, but not a very high percentage of the population.

Last edited by zrog2000; 02-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #49
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw3000 View Post
I started with 1971 Sports Illustrated Baseball and switched to APBA in 1976.

If you played Sports Illustrated Baseball, check out Dombrov Baseball at www.dombrov.com. Will bring back some memories.

Very cool - those SI charts were so cool. I loved that game. Hated it when they went to player cards....will check that out.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #50
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

Sports Illustrated baseball, I got that when I was like 8. I think me and my friends made up rules to make it understandable for us.

We soon after took up APBA in the 70s (75 or 76) and I played in the same league until I got married in 89.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #51
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

We kept our stats in a notebook. Only one of us was allowed to make changes and unauthorized stat changes where met with death,lol.

We had a 10 and then 12 team league. Stat nerds rule the universe!
Old 02-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #52
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

Oh! And we had a 6 team wiffle ball league. 2 on a team... with a Fat Albert bat inning (1 per team).
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #53
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sports Illustrated baseball, I got that when I was like 8. I think me and my friends made up rules to make it understandable for us.

We soon after took up APBA in the 70s (75 or 76) and I played in the same league until I got married in 89.

I never played APBA although I drooled over the advertisements in magazines and once sent for a sample card. I have an APBA horse racing board game but never played the baseball version.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #54
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

Dombrov isn't for Macs... sigh
Old 02-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #55
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dombrov isn't for Macs... sigh

Yea, as a Unix guy Macs are ok in my book but if I'm a gamer that's the last thing I'd buy...

Sorry all that we are no longer discussing the great Lou Brock. Game changing player even if he wasn't a defensive wizard.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #56
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

It happens. Brock went on an 0-70 slump but is leading the conference in stolen bases in 90 games. Lol
Old 02-16-2019, 11:27 PM   #57
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

0 for 70? seriously?
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #58
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

It was really close to that. BA dropped from .317 to .268, and he ended the season 12 for 14.