Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

5 Standard packs or 1 Gold pack?!?!

This could have been asked before so if it has, please share the link but what does the community do?

1 Gold Pack or test your luck with 5 standard packs?
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Well you might as well just buy a given gold off the AH rather than spend 5k on a gold pack. Most golds are worth less than 5k so it doesnt make economic sense to payu 5k for a gold pack in my opinion.

So generally people buy 1k packs from what I can tell. The odds of a diamond/perfect are the same in a 1k or 5k pack apparently.

If you want the best of both words, go buy a gold you like from the AH for 1-3k, and then buy 2-3 1k packs.
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Maddox
All Star Reserve

1. Spend the money in the auction house for a player that would be a needed upgrade.
  2. If you just want to gamble on packs then normal packs will give you more chances to hit the jackpot with a diamond or perfect pull. Gold packs are a guaranteed gold but there are a lot of bad gold players you could end up getting.

Just realize that packs are based on luck. And the overall odds are against you getting lucky
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh24 View Post
This could have been asked before so if it has, please share the link but what does the community do?

If what I did yesterday is any proof, go with the gold pack.

Opened 5 standard packs. Highest card was a 66. ALL other packs had the lowest possible bronze in them (60) with 5 irons, although 2 of those packs actually had 2 (60) Bronze in them.

Packs are a crappy lottery, but it's fun. Buying players on the AH is smarter, but is as fun as having a gaping head wound.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Joshrapley
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
  1. Spend the money in the auction house for a player that would be a needed upgrade.
  2. If you just want to gamble on packs then normal packs will give you more chances to hit the jackpot with a diamond or perfect pull. Gold packs are a guaranteed gold but there are a lot of bad gold players you could end up getting.

Just realize that packs are based on luck. And the overall odds are against you getting lucky
Most definitely buy from the AH. I have just sold one of my entire team's to start again as wanted to do a game where I only bought packs (satisfies the excitement of buying packs) with the generated PP.

I raised 10K in PP and bought 10 packs to build my team. I pulled 1 Gold, 0 Silver, 16 Bronze and the rest are rubbish. I was hoping this would generate enough PP each season but the quality of cards has likely ruined that for me.

AH every single time.
Joshrapley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
ripitback
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

I can see both sides of the argument. I bought 5 standard packs and got nothing.. The one gold pack gave me a Dierker. Although buying the 5 packs gives you more chances for a perfect or diamond.
ripitback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
whobob
Minors (Single A)

And the Dierker is worth about 2,000 on the AH, and is often available.
whobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Ok ok, i've built my team with just packs so i haven't really gone into the AH to get players.

I just did however buy to guys in the AH for the first time so there we go.

Thanks for the insight and feedback.
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Bottom Of The Sixth
All Star Starter

Quote:

Based on my experience and my personal preference, I either bid/buy players directly from the auction house and I buy standard packs.

The only PP I get is the PP my one team earns during a season.

As a whole, I have had alot better "luck" when I buy standard packs.

That doesn't mean that every pack I get, I get something useful or interesting.

I have opened more cards than I can remember that were worth nothing to me however, it is alot easier to swallow defeat when spending 1000pp and getting nothing I can use, instead of spending 5000pp and getting nothing I can use.

I auto resell any card valued 59 or lower and I don't play with any players from the 2018 Live or the Future Legend cards so I am more picky as to which cards I hope to get from opening packs or pursuing in the auctions.
Bottom Of The Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:20 AM   #10
ripitback
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whobob View Post
No argument from me that the AH is typically the better way to go. The original question was not about the AH. He asked about a Standard and Gold pack.
ripitback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #11
uschi_baerchen
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whobob View Post
Yes, but he is very underpriced, 5000 PP would be fair
uschi_baerchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Between 5 normal packs and a gold pack, always take the 5 normal packs. But new teams can build a heck of a roster with 5,000 PP on the auction house, so it depends on the situation, really. 5k PP might get you four decent golds on the auction house, or a mix of golds and silvers; many good silvers barely go for 200 PP.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I have opened 121 regular packs including the starter packs, and I have tracked the value received for each of the 726 cards. I still have two of the cards, so I included those at the last 5 auction price.

I am counting each pack at a cost of 1,000 points (even the starter packs that were free) so my total investment was 121,000 points. I have received 138,228 points, or 1,142 points per pack. I haven't lost anything buying packs, and I continue to do it with all of the points that I earn. Someday, I will hit the jackpot.

By the way, 679 of the 726 cards that I got were bronze or iron (93.5%) and 650 of those were auto-sold. Nearly all of the return came from 1 perfect (deGrom sold early for 30K) and 11 diamonds (sold for an average of 6,783 points).
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
Bottom Of The Sixth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I have opened 121 regular packs including the starter packs, and I have tracked the value received for each of the 726 cards. I still have two of the cards, so I included those at the last 5 auction price.

I am counting each pack at a cost of 1,000 points (even the starter packs that were free) so my total investment was 121,000 points. I have received 138,228 points, or 1,142 points per pack. I haven't lost anything buying packs, and I continue to do it with all of the points that I earn. Someday, I will hit the jackpot.

By the way, 679 of the 726 cards that I got were bronze or iron (93.5%) and 650 of those were auto-sold. Nearly all of the return came from 1 perfect (deGrom sold early for 30K) and 11 diamonds (sold for an average of 6,783 points).

Very interesting results.

Including Beta, I've only received two Perfects, Trout (Beta) and Sale, and I have only have been able to get one Diamond.

I've been lucky in that I have some Bronze and Silver players put up consistently good numbers, every year better than some Perfects, Diamonds, or Gold players.
Bottom Of The Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #15
CaptainZappBrannigan
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post

This is super interesting and to be honest not what I expected. If you had to guess, how much of the ~12% profit came from selling earlier when prices for players were higher? I expect packing someone like a Marcus Stroman early could have netted ~1.5k whereas now he's worth barely more than the 1k autosell.
CaptainZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #16
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I probably got an extra 10-15K from the early sales like deGrom and Cravath over what I would have gotten today. So perhaps half of it. But I opened the first fifty packs in the first couple of days, so that was a strategy.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #17
mess
Minors (Triple A)

I started out with 5 Gold Packs to build out a "framework" for my roster. Only bought standard packs and AH hunting since then.