Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 11-26-2018, 04:20 AM   #481
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Oh man, unlucky Germaniac.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:05 AM   #482
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
Oh man, unlucky Germaniac.
You're absolutely right, but I guess I will get over it
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #483
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin View Post
They just got swept in the sub-league series. Bring along 4 or 5 good right-handed hitters and an all-righthanded rotation, and they can be beaten at home. What's difficult is having a roster flexible enough to hang with both extreme lefty teams and extreme righty teams in the same playoffs. You need to have home field advantage for at least one of the series to have a good chance of advancing.
Yes, it's not going to work if you're a wild card. But they did earn that advantage during the season. And they won the last game in my stadium.

TBF, I'd even changed my wind factor to be very strong, blowing in from left field. Like ridiculously strong - 30 mph. And he still beat me. But I don't think wind has nearly the effect that it does IRL and that's probably a good thing.

Like you said, it's tough because you shoot to have good left handed hitters and switch hitters and there are only so many roster spots to go around. What I tried to do at the end was add some extreme on-base guys, like Topsy Hartsel (I like him a lot) who could walk his way on base against any kind of team. If their defense wasn't so awful, I'd try building a team of dead-ball guys and make my park gigantic.

I'm glad it's getting evened out next year. You guys were right about those teams and I was wrong. My math was off somehow.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #484
vyshka
Major Leagues

Quote:
The range for the HR and AVG park factors will be reduced to 0.9 to 1.1
What league did you get promoted to? I think in the previous seasons teams getting promoted from a league get into the same league, but I didn't see your team when I looked.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #485
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyshka View Post
What league did you get promoted to? I think in the previous seasons teams getting promoted from a league get into the same league, but I didn't see your team when I looked.
I'll check when I get home from work, but I think they started randomizing the destination leagues last season.
Josquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #486
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
I'm glad it's getting evened out next year. You guys were right about those teams and I was wrong. My math was off somehow.
Ha, I'm still recovering from the beating I took in the WS. I had obviously used up all my luck getting to that point... absolutely nothing was going right for me. And my opponent knew how to maximize his advantages and negate mine. His all-righty lineup had pretty good splits against righty pitchers, to the point where he had a better record against them than against lefties. And he had enough starting pitchers in the bullpen to pick and choose his matchups for every game. Hats off to him. I'm just glad there will be a wider range of viable strategies going forward. The extreme ballpark combined with a skilled player who knows what he is doing would be too dominant, IMO.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #487
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The extreme ballpark combined with a skilled player who knows what he is doing would be too dominant, IMO.
Looks like we won't have to worry about it now, but I wonder how a left-handed spray hitter would have done in such a park? Would those penalties to lefties still apply if he goes to the opposite field? All of this did get me thinking at least.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #488
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Looks like we won't have to worry about it now, but I wonder how a left-handed spray hitter would have done in such a park? Would those penalties to lefties still apply if he goes to the opposite field? All of this did get me thinking at least.
Yes, of course the penalties would still apply. If he's hitting lefty, and the ballpark factor is 0.8 for lefties, then the batter's outcomes (hits and/or homeruns) are nerfed by 20% regardless of any other considerations.

That's why a 0.8 vs. 1.2 split in ballpark factors overwhelms all other considerations and unbalances the game, IMO.

Last edited by Josquin; 11-26-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #489
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Yes, of course the penalties would still apply. If he's hitting lefty, and the ballpark factor is 0.8 for lefties, then the batter's outcomes (hits and/or homeruns) are nerfed by 20% regardless of any other considerations.
That's what I thought. But it doesn't sound right, does it?

I agree with your assessment that the current system makes such teams way too strong, so no question we needed a nerf. But one thing this beta has done is highlight the fact that OOTP ballpark factors are too simplistic.

I'm getting off topic though. When I get some time I'll make a ballpark thread in the 'suggestions and improvements' section.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #490
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
That's what I thought. But it doesn't sound right, does it?

I agree with your assessment that the current system makes such teams way too strong, so no question we needed a nerf. But one thing this beta has done is highlight the fact that OOTP ballpark factors are too simplistic.

I'm getting off topic though. When I get some time I'll make a ballpark thread in the 'suggestions and improvements' section.
There's also the real life factor where players will alter their swings to take advantage of park features, especially going the other way.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #491
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
But one thing this beta has done is highlight the fact that OOTP ballpark factors are too simplistic.

Yes, I totally agree.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #492
SayHey1
Minors (Triple A)

So do I get any PP for losing Game 6 and 7 at home in the World Series? #MustangsLose #Ouch #NowIKnowHowTheDodgersFeel
Attached Images
SayHey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #493
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyshka View Post
Looks like I ended up in Chi Ypsilon. I recognize some of the teams from last season, but there are many new ones I haven't seen before. This guy looks like a pushover:
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 PM   #494
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

His entire rotation and every single position other than LF are rated 96+. And that's assuming there isn't a 96 rated LF right below the screenshot.

That's probably literally the highest rated team you can assemble in the game. It will be a good test to see if strategy can beat that behemoth.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #495
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

There's a team in my AAA league (Chi NY) which has no players, either active or reserve. How is that even possible?

You can't sell players if it drops your total below 25, so he must have stashed his players away in his inactive list.

Unfortunately this isn't in my division. That's a pp goldmine for his divisional opponents.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:05 AM   #496
Josquin
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
His entire rotation and every single position other than LF are rated 96+. And that's assuming there isn't a 96 rated LF right below the screenshot.

That's probably literally the highest rated team you can assemble in the game. It will be a good test to see if strategy can beat that behemoth.
His LF is "only" a Larry Walker Top WAR Season (94 OVR).

Other than his lineup is all right-handed, there seem to be no major weaknesses to be exploited, so you just throw your best righty pitchers at him and hope for the best. At least he isn't tricking out his ballpark.

Half of my guys are absolutely raking right now, so I managed to split a 4-game series with him. I'll consider that a success.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:07 AM   #497
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Good ol' Gene Conley just pitched a no hitter for me.... one measly walk in the bottom of the 8th was all that stood between him and a perfect game.... at least this time his teammates actually provided some run support (unlike Morton's no hitter from a couple seasons ago that he lost 1-0).
Attached Images
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:58 AM   #498
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

I am 17-6 in Gold League, too bad it ends

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:13 AM   #499
Maddox
All Star Reserve

I thought I would bump this to post this tidbit.

It always feels good to buy a player with Buy Now, toss him into the lineup and submit the team with a minute to spare and see this write up about the player after the sim.

Quote:
The Winterfell Direwolves beat the Ocala Red Ants, 10-4, at Red Ants Grounds. The win was largely due to the efforts of first baseman Mark Grace, who captured player of the game honors. He was 3 for 4 with a double, 2 singles, and a walk, while scoring 2 times and driving in 2
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #500
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

In the last 24 hours I have gotten more PP for ending losing streaks than for my batters doing anything worthwhile…

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote