Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #21
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

From a game design perspective, I dislike the fact if I meet the requested demand, the kid does not sign. Why? It wastes my time.

OTOH, getting that potential star--often at a lower round--makes the game too easy. So essentially I have learned to ignore these guys. However, if I hit the 'complete draft' button, the AI picks these arrogant narcissists in the late rounds, so I get no one.

I'd really like to able to have an 'ignore impossible' option for completing a draft.

Which brings up the question, is 'impossible' the same figure for every team? Will players sign for certain teams, but not all the others? There's certainly real life incidents of this.

Would be a nice use of 'hometown' if draftees were more inclined to sign with the 'local' team. Or could go all Eli Manning on not wanting to play in SD for a crap team.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #22
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
From a game design perspective, I dislike the fact if I meet the requested demand, the kid does not sign. Why? It wastes my time.

OTOH, getting that potential star--often at a lower round--makes the game too easy. So essentially I have learned to ignore these guys. However, if I hit the 'complete draft' button, the AI picks these arrogant narcissists in the late rounds, so I get no one.

I'd really like to able to have an 'ignore impossible' option for completing a draft.

Which brings up the question, is 'impossible' the same figure for every team? Will players sign for certain teams, but not all the others? There's certainly real life incidents of this.

Would be a nice use of 'hometown' if draftees were more inclined to sign with the 'local' team. Or could go all Eli Manning on not wanting to play in SD for a crap team.
I think you forget the fact that just because a player is drafted by you, doesn't mean they want to sign for you. Players get drafted all the time and they have no intention to sign. It's not because they have a big ego, it's because they want to further their education. I think it's represented well in ootp

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #23
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I think you forget the fact that just because a player is drafted by you, doesn't mean they want to sign for you. Players get drafted all the time and they have no intention to sign. It's not because they have a big ego, it's because they want to further their education. I think it's represented well in ootp
I think you forgot the most important fact: It wastes my time.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #24
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

From a game point of view, what is currently 'Impossible to sign' should be recoded to an algorithm that:

1) Names a high sum that is a big chunk of one's budget. This number could be as high as, for example, ten times his "I'll sign for that." figure.
2) You get an email from your owner saying "No way. But I'll authorize up to $BigChunk-RandomPercentage"
3) You pick a number, knowing he might be willing to sign for a tenth, or you may not be able to match it at all.
4) The game compares you offer to the "I'll sign for that" figure and if it is that or more, he signs.

This means you will suffer the 'Winners' Paradox' penalty in that you most likely grossly overpaid for the player if he signs.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #25
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Signability is an attribute that REALLY needs to be able to put in a custom view (and by default since every column you can put in a view absolutely needs to also be filterable)
Old 06-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #26
yanks10681
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Lol true. Should make impossible demands something highly unrealistic in future releases.

But the narrative would probably be "why does this 5th round pick want 10mil"
That's my biggest issue with it! These 10th rounders wanting 7-10mil
yanks10681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #27
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

The way to look at the "demand" of the player is that there have been some informal talks and that is the ballpark amount the player is expecting. You are now making a formal offer and the player has every right to reevaluate once they see that number. The harder they are labeled to sign the more likely the "discussed" amount will not be enough, but that number gives you an idea of where to start. I think that is much better than impossible signs just being a blank slate.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:13 AM   #28
mitbong
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Also if you want the person to sign with you and hasn't last day they can just turn on Commissioner Mode and Edit him and put him on one of your Minor League Teams.
lame
mitbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #29
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitbong View Post
lame
“I don’t always revive 5 year old threads, but when I do, it’s to throw an insult”

Lmao

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote