Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Database Tools
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods - Database Tools Do you need to take a dump? SQL gurus welcome

Old 05-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
cavebutter
All Star Starter

(MySQL) Tips Are Appreciated

I have a feeling that I'm going to be a pest on this sub-forum for a little while.

I'm using MySQL Workbench on a Mac.

I configured the MySQL dump and now have 67 sql files with DROP/CREATE statements. I have created a database called OOTP. My (first) question is this:

How do I execute all of these sql files without having to open and manually execute each one individually?

Workbench has an import feature but doesn't recognize the game's output as a dump file and so can't import everything at once.

Any hints or tips are kindly appreciated.
Thanks!

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I figured it out and figured I would post the solution for those 40 or so on the boards who looked at this question.

For whatever reason, MySQL Workbench (and all other MySQL front end tools, if I understand correctly) won't let you execute .sql files from within the program. You can, however, execute a sql statement from the shell that will allow you to load and execute as many .sql files as you want. So, open a text file and type out "source" followed by the full path for each .sql file followed by a semicolon. Save this file (for future use), select all, and copy.

Get into MySQL shell, logging in with -u and -p.
Get into the right database with USE databasename
Paste your text file in and hit enter.

Since OOTP overwrites the SQL files every time it dumps, you have to repeat this process for every dump.

Logo Gallery

Last edited by cavebutter; 05-23-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: thought of something else
Old 05-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I suppose the next step is to turn that text file into its own SQL file and use SOURCE to execute that.

OK, I'm through with this thread. Thanks for reading!

Logo Gallery
Old 05-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
I figured it out and figured I would post the solution for those 40 or so on the boards who looked at this question.

For whatever reason, MySQL Workbench (and all other MySQL front end tools, if I understand correctly) won't let you execute .sql files from within the program. You can, however, execute a sql statement from the shell that will allow you to load and execute as many .sql files as you want. So, open a text file and type out "source" followed by the full path for each .sql file followed by a semicolon. Save this file (for future use), select all, and copy.

Get into MySQL shell, logging in with -u and -p.
Get into the right database with USE databasename
Paste your text file in and hit enter.

Since OOTP overwrites the SQL files every time it dumps, you have to repeat this process for every dump.
Which is why MySQL is not suitable for true, real life business application/SQL development, I have used DB/2 , DB2/400, SQL server in many versions, Informix, Oracle and they all have nowhere near the limitations of My SQL. One prime example is the support for temp tables, in MySQL I have always had to put CREATE table into the script where as the others let you do Select into....

just my experience
Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
sbailey85
Minors (Single A)

If you are doing this on Mac or Linux you have access to bash you could use this in the directory of your sql files find ./ -type f -iname '*.sql | while read lines ; do mysql -u user -p'password' dbname < $lines ; done
sbailey85 is offline   Reply With Quote