Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support > Earlier versions of OOTP: Logged Issues

Earlier versions of OOTP: Logged Issues All issues that have been logged and given a TT # are stored here until fixed

Old 07-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

BZ 1810: Low endurance pitchers starting

The problem I am having is that my manager keeps putting in pitchers with low endurance in the starting rotation. I have 6 SP's on the roster all with endurance of at least 60. Every season it keeps getting worse with this problem. It went from guys with 50 endurance starting to 40 to know 33 endurance being put in the starting rotation.

Is there something else that gets figured into a guy being put in the starting rotation? I sim every game and let my manager decide the rotation. When I ask my bench coach to make the lineup he does the same thing to. Thanks for any help.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I'll re-post here what I posted on the beta board (which, not surprisingly, received no response) . . .

1969 Lahman Import - 1 Year Recalc - Real Stats

Should Steve Barber -- a player with an Endurance rating of 19 (out of 250) -- be able to make 42 starts and throw 256 innings?

NOTE: He also has a 5-star rating!!!

Screenshot 1: Editor
Screenshot 2: Real life stats
Screenshot 3: Pitching stats (1969 = sim totals)
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Well, these may be two different issues. In OOTP9, players with 25-50 endurance on the 100 scale are now able to start at a reduced ability. A player with 19 on the 250 scale may be something else entirely.

So endurance ratings are calculated to the old scale wherein 50 was the minimum for starters. Should historical leagues then not allow pitchers with less than 50 endurance start?
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

See I think there is one way to fix this whole problem. If when a guy is listed as a MR he will only be a MR. If a guy is listed as a SP he will only be an SP. CP will only be a CP. If the computer would just look at those before it sets a lineup then we won't have this problem anymore.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

just a bump because I was wondering if this is a bug or if it is intended. Oh and instead of the 33 endurance guy starting in the rotation now I have a 22 endurance guy starting.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Bz 1810
Old 08-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
GamerOfTheWorld
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I know this has been logged, but I'd figure I'd chime in and perhaps offer some helpful info. I am experiencing this problem as well. All across my league the AI is playing pitchers with low endurance ratings as starters (3-4 on a 10 scale). These pitchers are not gassing out after 40 or 50 pitches; in fact they seem to be as capable of throwing 100 or more pitches as high-endurance pitchers before becoming fatigued. This is really jarring because it basically means the endurance rating is meaningless, and there's nothing to distinguish a starter from a reliever. Coaches/scouts off, pitcher endurance setting at low, league modifiers at default.

Here a few examples (none of these guys are on my team):
ImageShack - Hosting :: pitcher1cn3.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: pitcher2jb1.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: pitcher3iz8.jpg.

Last edited by GamerOfTheWorld; 08-03-2008 at 01:21 PM.
GamerOfTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:47 AM   #8
sterjs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
Well, these may be two different issues. In OOTP9, players with 25-50 endurance on the 100 scale are now able to start at a reduced ability. A player with 19 on the 250 scale may be something else entirely.
In practice, a plethora of MR/CL with endurance under 10(20 scale) have stuff, movement, control much better than all but the very best SP and put up big VORP numbers in starting roles.
sterjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterjs View Post
In practice, a plethora of MR/CL with endurance under 10(20 scale) have stuff, movement, control much better than all but the very best SP and put up big VORP numbers in starting roles.
Though presumably their numbers aren't quite as good as if they were relievers. Obviously their VORP will be higher because they are pitching more, however.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
sterjs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
Though presumably their numbers aren't quite as good as if they were relievers. Obviously their VORP will be higher because they are pitching more, however.
Well, VORP is what matters as that is a measure of their overall contribution to the team. You can get 3-4x as much value starting top relievers as you can using them in relief. This is very problematic because top relievers are far more plentiful than top starting pitchers.

Here is a guy I drafted with the 74th overall pick:

League average ERA was 3.90-4.12 in those seasons (He was only 25 in the first season where he put up a 3.45 ERA). There are numerous examples of guys like this who I or the AI have drafted and used in a SP role. The AI lineup selection actually sticks guys like this in for you, so you can't even avoid cheating unless you set your own lineups.

There are a number of problems that combine to create this issue:

1. Endurance doesn't matter as much as it should.
2. Reliever production is normalized for these very high stuff/movement/control ratings.
3. Too many great relievers are generated. In reality, except for a few closers, most pitching prospects are drafted as potential starters and those who can't hang become relievers.
sterjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #11
lighthousekeeper
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerOfTheWorld View Post
This is really jarring because it basically means the endurance rating is meaningless, and there's nothing to distinguish a starter from a reliever.
I totally agree. I think it's great that Markus tweaked things for ootp9 to allow relievers to start games, but I think he overdid it a bit. I think a bit of a correction is needed to lower the effectiveness of relievers after, say, the 50/60 pitch count.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
lighthousekeeper
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterjs View Post
There are a number of problems that combine to create this issue:

1. Endurance doesn't matter as much as it should.
2. Reliever production is normalized for these very high stuff/movement/control ratings.
3. Too many great relievers are generated. In reality, except for a few closers, most pitching prospects are drafted as potential starters and those who can't hang become relievers.
3 very good points
Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #13
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

This game has generated 1) too many middle relievers and 2) too many great ones for ages now. We've been banging the drum for ages that PITCHERS should be PITCHERS. Not SP, MR and CL, but just plain pitchers and let endurance determine their role and be done with it.

Alas, the ears are deaf.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Markus states that this is working just fine for him. If someone would like to upload some examples of problem leagues, that's the only step I can suggest.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
Mr_Cheeze
Bat Boy

Shouldn't relief pitchers also increase their probability for injury in situations where they are used beyond their supposed endurance. That would be more realistic.

Also, has the issue of being able to "stretch" a pitcher's endurance during spring training been brought up?
Mr_Cheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cheeze View Post
Also, has the issue of being able to "stretch" a pitcher's endurance during spring training been brought up?
Yes, but not implemented at this time.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
Gator
Minors (Double A)

Just curious, was this addressed with OOTP X?
Baseball will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set, Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.
Walt Whitman
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

The pitching model has been revised, so I don't believe that this particular issue should exist.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
Gator
Minors (Double A)

Thanks, this fix will be a very nice improvement.
Baseball will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set, Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.
Walt Whitman
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote