Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Jattebra Henric

There's baseball in Sweden. In 2009 I saw some World Baseball Cup games in Nya Orvela (I think) field in Sundbyberg.

Sweden had a team and hosted Canada, South Korea and Netherlands.

Yeah, I think we actually had a team or two in my town in the 90:s. Nowadays there is one team close to where I live (Karlskoga Bats). Unfortunately, being a hockey fan, Karlskoga is considered our mortal arch-enemies.
Henric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #22
Henric
Minors (Single A)

So, watching the game I've seen players look at some sort of card they have in their pocket? What's that all about?
Old 02-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #23
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

A cheat sheet of sorts, Depending on the player and position his notes will tell him about the batter and where he should position himself (if an outfielder). If a catcher then what types of pitches he is weakest at. those types of things. Some keep notes in pocket, tucked in hats, taped on sleeves and where ever it is allowed by the rules.

Hope that helps
Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #24
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Tar View Post
A cheat sheet of sorts, Depending on the player and position his notes will tell him about the batter and where he should position himself (if an outfielder). If a catcher then what types of pitches he is weakest at. those types of things. Some keep notes in pocket, tucked in hats, taped on sleeves and where ever it is allowed by the rules.

Hope that helps
Pine Tar

Most certainly! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #25
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
As for me, I've only attended one MLB game in person, and that was on Father's Day in 1984, at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. We won 6-3, with Sutter getting the save, even though Darryl Strawberry hit two home runs for the Mets that game, if memory serves. I believe the date was June 17th, in fact. Saw the game several rows up on the third base side, and was able to see into the Cardinals' dugout. Didn't get to meet Bruce Sutter and get his autograph, but I did see him finish out the game. We originally would have likely seen the game from somewhere on the right field side of the park in foul territory, but through some strangely providential circumstances, I'm sure, we were able to change where we could see the game from. It's a long story, of how that came to be the case, but I remember enjoying the game quite a bit at the time, if I remember correctly.

That Busch Stadium is no more, of course, but I still remember the game, at least to some degree, of course. And periodically revisiting the BB-Ref page sometimes reminds me of it. Although I don't know if there's video existing of that game online at the present time, unfortunately.

Just some thoughts here of baseball and all, you see. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.

Last edited by Clovidequano Dovatha; 02-25-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #26
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

Hey, I'm an Irish immigrant to the U.S. who fell in love with baseball (and OOTP). I can answer a lot of questions or just give you pointers re: how to understand the game better.
Shake Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:38 AM   #27
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake Appeal View Post
Hey, I'm an Irish immigrant to the U.S. who fell in love with baseball (and OOTP). I can answer a lot of questions or just give you pointers re: how to understand the game better.
Thank you! I will certainly take you up on that!
Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 AM   #28
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Ok, so here's a question. I watched the Cardinals game yesterday, and at one point they got a base hit (Edman maybe? I remember the hitter having a Swedish sounding name) and once the batter got to first base he went into the dugout and was replaced by someone else at first?! What was going on there? Did I misunderstand something?
Old 02-26-2020, 03:53 AM   #29
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

It's Spring Training, and especially in the first two weeks or so the regulars play between three and five innings or so, or until they get two at-bats, and then get replaced by a bench player, prospect, or some old bum trying to make the roster. The move itself means that the batter is replaced by a pinch-runner that takes over the batter's spot in the lineup unless he's replaced by another player entirely after the inning.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:14 AM   #30
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
It's Spring Training, and especially in the first two weeks or so the regulars play between three and five innings or so, or until they get two at-bats, and then get replaced by a bench player, prospect, or some old bum trying to make the roster. The move itself means that the batter is replaced by a pinch-runner that takes over the batter's spot in the lineup unless he's replaced by another player entirely after the inning.

Aha! Interesting. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #31
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Also worth noting that in the game, during Spring Training, the AI managers will mimic this behavior. It can be confusing for a new OOTP player because Spring Training games are often the first games you play through. Once the regular season starts, managers will start playing for keeps.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #32
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
Also worth noting that in the game, during Spring Training, the AI managers will mimic this behavior. It can be confusing for a new OOTP player because Spring Training games are often the first games you play through. Once the regular season starts, managers will start playing for keeps.
Good to know! There's a few weeks left until the game is out, so I have time to learn! Watching games on mlb.tv tonight as well.

I can tell you one thing; it's not hockey!
Old 02-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #33
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Still laughing at "some old bum" btw.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #34
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henric View Post
So, I’m not quite sure what I’ve done. Or maybe what I’ve contracted. Earlier today I pre-ordered OOTP 21 after giving the first look video a cursory glance before heading off to work. I’m in Sweden, so the live stream was in the middle of the night for me.

I got caught up in a weird baseball fever thanks to Aussie Villain’s youtube series managing the Mets. I’ve watched a few of his FM-videos, but something really resonated with me watching him manage a baseball team.

I love sports, primarily hockey and I also follow some European football (Aston Villa fan), but baseball has eluded me. Which is sort of weird since I love stats and numbers. Which is probably why I was absolutely fascinated with watching him play the game.

The thing is I barely understand the rules. I really have no idea how to even get a starting line-up (is that even what it’s called?) ready for a game! But somehow, I have pre-ordered the game and I can’t wait to start up a MLB.tv subscription to start watching some games once the season has started.

I have baseball fever, and I’m not quite sure why. No matter, the game looks awesome and can’t wait to learn all there is to learn about the sport and the game!
Have you watched any good baseball movies? Really gets you into the spirit.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #35
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henric View Post
I’m in Sweden...

I'm a Boston Red Sox fan and I had the privilege to take two people from Sweden to a game at Fenway Park a few years ago for their very first baseball experience. I got to explain the game to them play by play as we watched.

It was a comeback win for the Red Sox and they whole stadium was in an uproar. I made sure to tell them not every game was as exciting, but it is quite a fun sport!

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #36
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Have you watched any good baseball movies? Really gets you into the spirit.

Well, Moneyball comes to mind? And the comedy one, Major League? I seem to remember an older movie with Kevin Costner as well.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #37
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
I'm a Boston Red Sox fan and I had the privilege to take two people from Sweden to a game at Fenway Park a few years ago for their very first baseball experience. I got to explain the game to them play by play as we watched.

It was a comeback win for the Red Sox and they whole stadium was in an uproar. I made sure to tell them not every game was as exciting, but it is quite a fun sport!

Oh, cool! Apparently we have some distant relatives in Boston (dad's been doing some genealogy after retiring. Turns out we had relatives that moved to Boston way back when.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #38
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
Field of Dreams is the movie you're probably thinking of, if I'm not too mistaken here. It's set in Iowa, and it's a good movie, without a doubt. I highly recommend you watch it.

There was also one about Grover Cleveland Alexander that came out decades ago, and I believe President Reagan played them in such a movie. He also acted in at least one or two other sports-related movies, come to think of it. That's how he got the Gipper nickname, for sure.

Baseball is in many red-blooded American boys' blood, in essence, so to speak, often from a very young age. Especially in Middle America, in places like St. Louis (Baseball Heaven), for example. It may have many similarities with certain European games, at least in terms of origins, if not in other ways as well, but it is still quite different from them in many respects, for sure.

I have spent most of my life living in what many might currently consider Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves, North Stars/Wild territory, in truth. But I've still been a fan of the baseball Cardinals, football Cardinals, basketball 76'ers, and hockey Blues, for decades, for various reasons. And I probably will be for the rest of my mortal life on this world God created several millennia ago, if I'm not too mistaken here.

Hope you find a lot of good and fairly clean baseball movies and enjoy them all quite a bit, for your information. And I hope this bit of information here helps you out as well, for sure. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #39
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Bingo, Field of Dreams is it! Got the itch for a good movie again.

Speaking of St Louis Blues. Carl Gunnarsson and I hail from the same city. His dad was actually my goalie coach when I was a kid. Now I'm a goalie coach myself.

Carl came home this Summer to show off the Stanley Cup. I actually got to touch it!
Old 02-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #40
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Reiterating the "old bum" thing... Tim Tebow is now playing leftfield for the mind-boggling Mets against the Astros.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote