Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
Henric
Minors (Single A)

"My god, it's full of numbers" - What have I done?

So, I’m not quite sure what I’ve done. Or maybe what I’ve contracted. Earlier today I pre-ordered OOTP 21 after giving the first look video a cursory glance before heading off to work. I’m in Sweden, so the live stream was in the middle of the night for me.

I got caught up in a weird baseball fever thanks to Aussie Villain’s youtube series managing the Mets. I’ve watched a few of his FM-videos, but something really resonated with me watching him manage a baseball team.

I love sports, primarily hockey and I also follow some European football (Aston Villa fan), but baseball has eluded me. Which is sort of weird since I love stats and numbers. Which is probably why I was absolutely fascinated with watching him play the game.

The thing is I barely understand the rules. I really have no idea how to even get a starting line-up (is that even what it’s called?) ready for a game! But somehow, I have pre-ordered the game and I can’t wait to start up a MLB.tv subscription to start watching some games once the season has started.

I have baseball fever, and I’m not quite sure why. No matter, the game looks awesome and can’t wait to learn all there is to learn about the sport and the game!
Henric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
texranger
Minors (Single A)

Welcome to the sport!!

https://www.rulesofsport.com/sports/baseball.html

The above link is a BASIC description of the game, I though it might help you get started.

If you like numbers -- you'll LOVE baseball -- and once you figure out what's going on -- hopefully -- you'll still love it . Such a great game, and a lot of strategy.

In anycase, welcome to the addiction
texranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Us baseball addicts are all a little crazy, so it looks like your going to fit in just fine. I mean, anyone who dreams of a job taking notes during a game and getting paid for it HAS to be a little off, no?

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Thanks! Can’t wait to get stuck in!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
Us baseball addicts are all a little crazy, so it looks like your going to fit in just fine. I mean, anyone who dreams of a job taking notes during a game and getting paid for it HAS to be a little off, no?

Very true! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
texranger
Minors (Single A)

Talking

Oh lord....

Well, I have been "simming" baseball games since...well....the mid-80's. Back then you had to keep track of your OWN cumaltive records. I had NOTEBOOKS of my own records that I kep track of...

I remember a game -- Microleague Baseball I think -- where I simmed whole season(s) and I remember being super excited when Babe Ruth broke his own record with 63 homers in that sim (you could not sim out a career with that game just season's). A "homerun" is when you make a hit and are able to get to home plate on that one hit (usually you hit it out of the playing field for the "homer", but it is possible to score an "inside the park homerun" -- just a little bit rare to hit an inside the park homerun).

Oh and for henric, Babe Ruth is one of the greatest baseball players (if not the greatest) of all time who held the record for most homers for 34 years before it was broken...

Babe Ruth, when he retired (in 1935), held -- well let's just say he held a bunch records. He STILL holds some records even today BTW.

In any case, yeah I'd say as a baseball fan -- we're a little off and perhaps a little obsessive with our numbers

Last edited by texranger; 02-25-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Thank you @texranger! I really can't wait for March 17 when I can finally try the game out. Will have to use the time until release to learn as much as I can about baseball.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
texranger
Minors (Single A)

Here try these links, they have all kinds of info/stories/numbers etc etc

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/

https://www.baseball-reference.com/ -- This site is a Baseball stats DREAM BTW

We'll have you screaming at the umps (the on field Officials) and Managers in no-time!!

Oh and please do NOT become a YANKEE fan (they have won 27 World titles BTW) ....

Last edited by texranger; 02-25-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Welcome Henric,

Baseball is a great game, and the OOTP community is one of the best on the web.

I have seen Aussie V; fun stuff. He puts a lot of work into those videos.

If you are new to baseball, I would recommend that you pick-up a book called:
"Baseball Field Guide: An In-Depth Illustrated Guide to the Complete Rules of Baseball" It's like $10.00 USD on Amazon, and has some good illustrations and explanations.

https://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Fiel...2643793&sr=8-1

Also on YouTube, check out Foolish Baseball's channel. He has a really good video instructional series for OOTP 19 which still is applicable, where he covers a lot of the real world stats and concepts, along with the game of course. He also has something called "baseball bits", which are cool short videos on a range of certain baseball subjects.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbW...U33A/playlists

Finally, as to other OOTP YouTube play-throughs, I liked Archer Gamer's Arizona series he did for OOTP 20 last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOu1V9ZPc-Y

Anyway, welcome again and as you get into the game, feel free to ask questions.

-Cal

Last edited by Calvert98; 02-25-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added links
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #10
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Excellent @Cal! Will check out the book as soon as I can!
Old 02-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henric View Post
The thing is I barely understand the rules. I really have no idea how to even get a starting line-up (is that even what it’s called?) ready for a game! But somehow, I have pre-ordered the game and I can’t wait to start up a MLB.tv subscription to start watching some games once the season has started.

I have baseball fever, and I’m not quite sure why. No matter, the game looks awesome and can’t wait to learn all there is to learn about the sport and the game!
Watching some spring training games should get you an early start (they are included in the MLB.tv subscription); alternatively there's always some games on Youtube, just takes some searching.

Watching games and playing OOTP will do much more for you than reading the rulebook; back in the day I even found the article(s) on baseball rules in Wikipedia hard to understand.

It takes some effort, but if you're merrily watching other people play the game, you should be in good hands with the game.

Cheers.

- Some German guy who randomly stumbled into baseball and then OOTP almost 10 years ago.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #12
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texranger View Post
Here try these links, they have all kinds of info/stories/numbers etc etc

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/

https://www.baseball-reference.com/ -- This site is a Baseball stats DREAM BTW

We'll have you screaming at the umps (the on field Officials) and Managers in no-time!!

Oh and please do NOT become a YANKEE fan (they have won 27 World titles BTW) ....

Well, I have to confess that the only allegiance I have now is to the Padres. Mainly due to the fact that PetCo Park is the only stadium I've seen in real life! Visited San Diego in 2017 and walked by the stadium.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #13
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Watching some spring training games should get you an early start (they are included in the MLB.tv subscription); alternatively there's always some games on Youtube, just takes some searching.

Watching games and playing OOTP will do much more for you than reading the rulebook; back in the day I even found the article(s) on baseball rules in Wikipedia hard to understand.

It takes some effort, but if you're merrily watching other people play the game, you should be in good hands with the game.

Cheers.

- Some German guy who randomly stumbled into baseball and then OOTP almost 10 years ago.

Ohhh, cool! I might even get the MLB.tv sub now then!
Old 02-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #14
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
We Cardinals fans often know a lot about baseball, and we have a reputation in some circles, I believe, for being the best fans in baseball. How deserved that reputation may be, that is up to people to decide for themselves. We may not have the most overall World Series championship titles, but I'd still say that many of our players may be just as good, if not better, than players who played primarily for other teams in their careers, even the Yankees.

I could be wrong about this sort of thing, of course. But I'd still put any of the Hall of Famers that primarily were affiliated with the Cardinals against the same number of players from any team with substantial enough Hall of Fame representation, and say that they could at least hold their own somewhat well, if not significantly well, if they could play against each of those teams themselves, in fair competitions with them. Even if all the involved players on those teams weren't necessarily all from the same time periods of baseball history, I'd still say that, I'm sure.

Of course, the Cardinals aren't the ONLY historically good team in MLB history. The Yankees, the Giants, the Dodgers, the Cubs (even though personally I don't like them much), and the Tigers, to name just a few of the good teams throughout that history. The classic 16 teams from pre-expansion era baseball have many excellent players in their histories, for sure. Although there have been several major franchise relocations and renaming events in the decades since each of them were created, of course.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you become a serious baseball fan in the future, Lord willing and all, of course, then. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #15
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Baseball as a game isn't that hard to pick up. Now I'm talking about the actual game on field.

The hard part of ootp is running the entire organization. From you mlb team down to your 6-10 minor leagues plus international complexes. Then all of finance, constant transactions, waivers, trades etc.

No matter how much actual baseball game experience one player has it doesn't really translate over to this strategic layer of the game. Yes Americans are familiar with terms waivers, minors etc but the game mechanics themselves still have to be learned.

When you first start playing I would pick one of the new game options that is just the mlb. No minors. No international leagues, no Indy leagues, no world tournaments etc.

Then after you get a season under your belt you will probably be comfortable with the game of baseball at least. Then if you need more experience you can continue that universe.

And you always have the option of a new universe that adds the minor leagues. Then tournaments, international, independent leagues and all of that stuff if you want.

The great thing is everyone falls in love with a different part of ootp. You might love the game day management in 3d. Or you might crave this grand strategy element. Or both.

I would also try to play out as many games in 3d to familiarize yourself with the baseball game.

That grand strategy level you just have to jump into it.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #16
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovidequano Dovatha View Post
We Cardinals fans often know a lot about baseball, and we have a reputation in some circles, I believe, for being the best fans in baseball. How deserved that reputation may be, that is up to people to decide for themselves. We may not have the most overall World Series championship titles, but I'd still say that many of our players may be just as good, if not better, than players who played primarily for other teams in their careers, even the Yankees.

I could be wrong about this sort of thing, of course. But I'd still put any of the Hall of Famers that primarily were affiliated with the Cardinals against the same number of players from any team with substantial enough Hall of Fame representation, and say that they could at least hold their own somewhat well, if not significantly well, if they could play against each of those teams themselves, in fair competitions with them. Even if all the involved players on those teams weren't necessarily all from the same time periods of baseball history, I'd still say that, I'm sure.

Of course, the Cardinals aren't the ONLY historically good team in MLB history. The Yankees, the Giants, the Dodgers, the Cubs (even though personally I don't like them much), and the Tigers, to name just a few of the good teams throughout that history. The classic 16 teams from pre-expansion era baseball have many excellent players in their histories, for sure. Although there have been several major franchise relocations and renaming events in the decades since each of them were created, of course.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you become a serious baseball fan in the future, Lord willing and all, of course, then. CD out.

No, thank YOU for that very nice write up! We'll see which team I'll end up supporting. One thing is for sure though; I need a favourite team!

I am a long time Detroit Red Wings fan, so maybe that will count for something.

Plan is to watch a lot of teams through MLB.tv and see where I end up. Cardinals might just be the ticket.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #17
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Baseball as a game isn't that hard to pick up. Now I'm talking about the actual game on field.

The hard part of ootp is running the entire organization. From you mlb team down to your 6-10 minor leagues plus international complexes. Then all of finance, constant transactions, waivers, trades etc.

No matter how much actual baseball game experience one player has it doesn't really translate over to this strategic layer of the game. Yes Americans are familiar with terms waivers, minors etc but the game mechanics themselves still have to be learned.

When you first start playing I would pick one of the new game options that is just the mlb. No minors. No international leagues, no Indy leagues, no world tournaments etc.

Then after you get a season under your belt you will probably be comfortable with the game of baseball at least. Then if you need more experience you can continue that universe.

And you always have the option of a new universe that adds the minor leagues. Then tournaments, international, independent leagues and all of that stuff if you want.

The great thing is everyone falls in love with a different part of ootp. You might love the game day management in 3d. Or you might crave this grand strategy element. Or both.

I would also try to play out as many games in 3d to familiarize yourself with the baseball game.

That grand strategy level you just have to jump into it.

Thanks! I love Football Manager, love fiddling with tactics and wheeling and dealing for players, so will probably play as many 3D games as I can stomach once the game is out. I don't quite know how to find good payers though, but that will come with time I suppose.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #18
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
Once you see how much we love our Cardinals, and how we respect the history of the game, and even cheer other teams' accomplishments, and listen to people like Jack Buck, among others, and get familiar with people like Musial, Pujols, and so many others, I don't think you'll find a better team to support, on average, than the Cardinals. Of course, I could be wrong and all, you know, but once you get so familiar with them, you might wonder how you didn't know about them sooner, et cetera.

Maybe it's the fact that they're so well-entrenched now in Middle America, and have had such a wide area of the country that used to listen quite often to them on the radio before MLB expanded quite a bit as it did, in terms of where their teams were, at least in part. But for a long time, they and the Browns were the two teams furthest west and perhaps south with MLB teams, before teams began moving a great deal or getting created, after all.

Just some more thoughts to consider here, if you will. Not saying the Cardinals may be the best fit for you, mind you, in truth. But you probably can't go all that wrong, if at all, if they become your favorite team to follow. I've been following them since at least 1982, during the Whiteyball era, when Bruce Sutter, my favorite all-time baseball player, was still playing for them, as a matter of fact. And I haven't regretted it, I believe, ever since. I wasn't very old then, but I've been a Cards fan now for almost 40 years, if memory serves, for various reasons.

Just some commentary from a longtime diehard Cards fan, for your information. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #19
CBeisbol
Banned

Jattebra Henric

There's baseball in Sweden. In 2009 I saw some World Baseball Cup games in Nya Orvela (I think) field in Sundbyberg.

Sweden had a team and hosted Canada, South Korea and Netherlands.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #20
Henric
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovidequano Dovatha View Post
Once you see how much we love our Cardinals, and how we respect the history of the game, and even cheer other teams' accomplishments, and listen to people like Jack Buck, among others, and get familiar with people like Musial, Pujols, and so many others, I don't think you'll find a better team to support, on average, than the Cardinals. Of course, I could be wrong and all, you know, but once you get so familiar with them, you might wonder how you didn't know about them sooner, et cetera.

Maybe it's the fact that they're so well-entrenched now in Middle America, and have had such a wide area of the country that used to listen quite often to them on the radio before MLB expanded quite a bit as it did, in terms of where their teams were, at least in part. But for a long time, they and the Browns were the two teams furthest west and perhaps south with MLB teams, before teams began moving a great deal or getting created, after all.

Just some more thoughts to consider here, if you will. Not saying the Cardinals may be the best fit for you, mind you, in truth. But you probably can't go all that wrong, if at all, if they become your favorite team to follow. I've been following them since at least 1982, during the Whiteyball era, when Bruce Sutter, my favorite all-time baseball player, was still playing for them, as a matter of fact. And I haven't regretted it, I believe, ever since. I wasn't very old then, but I've been a Cards fan now for almost 40 years, if memory serves, for various reasons.

Just some commentary from a longtime diehard Cards fan, for your information. CD out.

Watching the Cardinals-Marlins game from yesterday now.