Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #61
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I love how people in Wales think that they aren't English. That's like South Carolinians who don't think they are Americans. You lost the War...deal with it.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #62
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
I love how people in Wales think that they aren't English. That's like South Carolinians who don't think they are Americans. You lost the War...deal with it.

You just love waving red flags, don't you?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #63
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think you mean British, most people be they English, Welsh or Scottish don't like to be called British although the Northern Irish seem to the protestant part anyway.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #64
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
You just love waving red flags, don't you?

Never with malice...always with a big smile!

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #65
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Tampa Bay? That's in England right? Oh no..America is where England sent all the criminals..it's a penal colony..my mistake
But hey..you won your war didn't you that ole prisoners revolt thing...what they calling it? War of Independence. You are more English than I am.

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-31-2013 at 04:09 PM.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #66
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMuse View Post
Tampa Bay? That's in England right? Oh no..America is where England sent all the criminals..it's a penal colony..my mistake
But hey..you won your war didn't you that ole prisoners revolt thing...what they calling it War of Independence?
That's Australia.

You sent Hester Prynne and Scarlett Johansson to America. I read that in a book somewhere. You tried to send Leonardo DiCaprio, too, but he had an issue with an ice cube.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #67
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I think you mean British, most people be they English, Welsh or Scottish don't like to be called British although the Northern Irish seem to the protestant part anyway.
I don't mind so much being called British as it's a fact whether I like it or not (it says so on my passport). But Wales is a country not a State or a region...even OOTP recognises this - where it has Welsh and a flag for nationality.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #68
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo View Post
That's Australia.

You sent Hester Prynne and Scarlett Johansson to America. I read that in a book somewhere. You tried to send Leonardo DiCaprio, too, but he had an issue with an ice cube.
Australia too. But 'you' should be 'they' - did you not read previous posts? Incidentally, Hester Prynne is a fictional character so I'm not sure what you've been reading. Apart from The Scarlet Letter that is. But since Nathaniel Hawthorne was probably of English decent you may have a point.

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-31-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #69
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Australia too. But 'you' should be 'they' - did you not read previous posts? Incidentally, Hester Prynne is a fictional character so I'm not sure what you've been reading. Apart from The Scarlet Letter that is. But since Nathaniel Hawthorne was probably of English decent you may have a point.
I deliberately mixed a lot of metaphors up, attempting satire and humor. It sounded better in my head.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #70
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

[update bump]
Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #71
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

I put my 42 yr old closer in as SP and he pitched for a 5-0 shutout with a game score of 78. Eat it Tampa
Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #72
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I put my 42 yr old closer in as SP and he pitched for a 5-0 shutout with a game score of 78. Eat it Tampa
Somehow I don't think this would be a good idea as a steady thing, though. Circumstances as to why you did this?

- Bru

Old 11-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #73
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Somehow I don't think this would be a good idea as a steady thing, though. Circumstances as to why you did this?
Injuries, tiredness, and the fact that I traded off too many SPs before I knew what I was doing. I had pretty much left myself with a 3 man rotation. But you were right about one thing - I DO like this game..I was beginning to despair if I would ever work it out properly but I do now...I even call the plays effectively now and then and that little "safe" soundbite is my friend. My overall strategy? Cut anyone not in the pitching rotation who has a low contact rating (even fielders should be able to hit the ball even if they can't whack it ootp), completely ignore the middle relief and use a set-up before closer if needed. Since your set-up has a duel role as a 'sub' the bullpen also seems pointless. Next time I start a new season I will make sure I have plenty of good SPs to make this work. Last night was the first time I lost an entire night's sleep with this game. I was one point off leading the division half way through the season but then I got tired and started rushing through the last half and it all went pear shaped. The draft is fun - and often annoying.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #74
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
I don't mind so much being called British as it's a fact whether I like it or not (it says so on my passport). But Wales is a country not a State or a region...even OOTP recognises this - where it has Welsh and a flag for nationality.
Wales is most definitely NOT a nation. As your own sig states, you are in Wales, United Kingdom. The UK is a nation, while Wales is...what?

I don't know what the status of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland should be for those of us who live outside the UK. What are those places considered internally?

I do think very strongly that it is an insult to the rest of the world that these non-countries are considered nations by FIFA. The Olympics have this right, there is only one nation and that is the United Kingdom. On the other hand, this Brit arrogance has caused y'all to shoot yourselves in the foot soccer-wise by preventing solid players like Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale from strengthening an English side that should really be the UK.

But Wales? You may as well say you live in Gaul or Camelot.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #75
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Wales is most definitely NOT a nation. As your own sig states, you are in Wales, United Kingdom. The UK is a nation, while Wales is...what?

I don't know what the status of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland should be for those of us who live outside the UK. What are those places considered internally?

I do think very strongly that it is an insult to the rest of the world that these non-countries are considered nations by FIFA. The Olympics have this right, there is only one nation and that is the United Kingdom. On the other hand, this Brit arrogance has caused y'all to shoot yourselves in the foot soccer-wise by preventing solid players like Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale from strengthening an English side that should really be the UK.

But Wales? You may as well say you live in Gaul or Camelot.
Wales is a country within a supposedly united kingdom in exactly the same way that England, Scotland and Ireland are (well Ireland is a country divided as half of it is not part of Britain). Britain is a united nation - by definition that is several nations united as one (like the UN). Gaul does not exist any more and Camelot is a dutch owned company that runs the UK national lottery and a court in mythology that, in all likelihood, never existed. The word "national" is subjective - it depends how you see yourself in relation to where you live. It is a testament to ignorance that many outside the British Isles think that 'England' and 'Britain' mean the same thing. People who live in these countries generally prefer to call themselves English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish regardless of their position in relation to whether they feel "British" or not. To say that Wales is not an acceptable nation is directly comparable to saying that France is not a nation because it is "just part of the EU". Therefore, your ridiculous "you are all part of the same thing" attitude is the same as saying a German person and a French person are "just Europeans". And before some idiot decides to point out that Europe is a continent they would do well to look at a map and decide whether or not any of Britain is linked to that continent as a land mass. Try going into certain parts of Ireland and shouting "you are all just UK nationals" and I think you will realise your mistake fairly quickly; A bomb isn't just a kind of throw in American Football in the same way that "nationality" doesn't mean only one thing. Your post is SO stupid that it makes a good case for the establishment of a national identity called "generic redneck" - my mistake, that would be a "race".

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-06-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #76
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Injuries, tiredness, and the fact that I traded off too many SPs before I knew what I was doing. I had pretty much left myself with a 3 man rotation. But you were right about one thing - I DO like this game..I was beginning to despair if I would ever work it out properly but I do now...I even call the plays effectively now and then and that little "safe" soundbite is my friend. My overall strategy? Cut anyone not in the pitching rotation who has a low contact rating (even fielders should be able to hit the ball even if they can't whack it ootp), completely ignore the middle relief and use a set-up before closer if needed. Since your set-up has a duel role as a 'sub' the bullpen also seems pointless. Next time I start a new season I will make sure I have plenty of good SPs to make this work. Last night was the first time I lost an entire night's sleep with this game. I was one point off leading the division half way through the season but then I got tired and started rushing through the last half and it all went pear shaped. The draft is fun - and often annoying.
Always try to keep one more SP around than you actually need (which depends upon the era that you are playing; in modern day, the standard SP rotation is five pitchers). The reason is, surer than you know what, an injury will take one of them out.

You're right about low contact rated players; defense is not enough in this game because you need offense to win. Of course, good batters with good gloves are ideal.

Don't completely ignore middle relievers. Again, depending on what era you are playing in (long ago, SP's pitched complete games as a matter of routine; these days, you are lucky to get five innings out of some starters), you may need a pitcher or two to carry you from the fifth inning to the seventh or eighth, then you bring in your setup guy, then your closer for the ninth. Also, there are times when your SP does not have it that night and you need to yank him out of the game after only a couple of innings . . .

Two chuckles: Your losing an entire night's sleep (been there, done that) and your season going "pear shaped" in the second half. Nice analogy.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 11-06-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #77
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Always try to keep one more SP around than you actually need (which depends upon the era that you are playing; in modern day, the standard SP rotation is five pitchers). The reason is, surer than you know what, an injury will take one of them out.

You're right about low contact rated players; defense is not enough in this game because you need offense to win. Of course, good batters with good gloves are ideal.

Don't completely ignore middle relievers. Again, depending on what era you are playing in (long ago, SP's pitched complete games as a matter of routine; these days, you are lucky to get five innings out of some starters), you may need a pitcher or two to carry you from the fifth inning to the seventh or eighth, then you bring in your setup guy, then your closer for the ninth. Also, there are times when your SP does not have it that night and you need to yank him out of the game after only a couple of innings . . .

Two chuckles: Your losing an entire night's sleep (been there, done that) and your season going "pear shaped" in the second half. Nice analogy.
Yeah, I've revised my opinion on MR - they are not so important as other positions but you do need them. I particularly like to use a strong MR to sub out a weak SP with good potential that I'm trying to improve (if needed). I'm getting more into the during game interactions now but still find it annoying that the a.i. will often swap out a pitcher before I want it to regardless of how I set them up in lineup options. I never personally mess with the pitching phase other than subbing out but a game where it's 0-0 and the 9th and my closer does his job for me to manually score 8 (for instance) was a "shouting to the screen" moment. I think if you just autoplay all the games and spend all your time buying and selling and fiddling with lineups then you are missing out on half the joy that OOTP can provide.

p.s. that missed night of sleep is now 2 for 2.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-06-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #78
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I've revised my opinion on MR - they are not so important as other positions but you do need them. I'm getting more into the during game interactions now but still find it annoying that the a.i. will often swap out a pitcher before I want it to regardless of how I set them up in lineup options. I never personally mess with the pitching phase other than subbing out but a game where it's 0-0 and the 9th and my closer does his job for me to manually score 8 (for instance) was a "shouting to the screen" moment. I think if you just autoplay all the games and spend all your time buying and selling and fiddling with lineups then you are missing out on half the joy that OOTP can provide.

p.s. that missed night of sleep is now 2 for 2.
You certainly are learning the game. Regarding when to "hook" pitchers, playing out the games is always the foolproof way of avoiding disagreements with your AI "manager" in this regard but another way you can influence matters without micromanaging is to use the slider buttons in Team Strategy. You can find that in your Team Menu - take a look and you will see what I mean.

Try to get some rest!

- Bru

Old 11-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #79
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

I traded Robinson Cano in April of my 1st season. I bet a real Yanks fan would hate that. But to me they are just names and what's another Indian cricketer?

I failed to notice he was leading all my batting charts at the time. All I can say is "the New York Yankees have no weaknesses" mid-season. At least they didn't until my game froze up for the first time and I lost my 3-0 series against CLE and my last 2 important trades.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-06-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #80
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Wales is a country within a supposedly united kingdom in exactly the same way that England, Scotland and Ireland are (well Ireland is a country divided as half of it is not part of Britain). Britain is a united nation - by definition that is several nations united as one (like the UN). Gaul does not exist any more and Camelot is a dutch owned company that runs the UK national lottery and a court in mythology that, in all likelihood, never existed. The word "national" is subjective - it depends how you see yourself in relation to where you live. It is a testament to ignorance that many outside the British Isles think that 'England' and 'Britain' mean the same thing. People who live in these countries generally prefer to call themselves English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish regardless of their position in relation to whether they feel "British" or not. To say that Wales is not an acceptable nation is directly comparable to saying that France is not a nation because it is "just part of the EU". Therefore, your ridiculous "you are all part of the same thing" attitude is the same as saying a German person and a French person are "just Europeans". And before some idiot decides to point out that Europe is a continent they would do well to look at a map and decide whether or not any of Britain is linked to that continent as a land mass. Try going into certain parts of Ireland and shouting "you are all just UK nationals" and I think you will realise your mistake fairly quickly; A bomb isn't just a kind of throw in American Football in the same way that "nationality" doesn't mean only one thing. Your post is SO stupid that it makes a good case for the establishment of a national identity called "generic redneck" - my mistake, that would be a "race".
Thank you for proving my point: there is no logical basis whatever for considering Wales a country (or whatever. You did not answer my question as to what the proper legal status--if any--Wales has), simply the arrogance of its residents.