Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Pedro Martinez

Anyone else think TBS made a mistake adding him to their broadcasts? He looks and sounds uncomfortable and so far I haven't heard offer up much of value.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

I didn't catch much of him but the little bit I did see I liked, which surprised me.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
English is obviously not his native language. I think that is the cause of his being uncomfortable.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

I have found the TBS coverage in game and in studio to be excellent, this year.

Ron Darling as improved greatly as a color guy. That was a pleasant surprise. I thought all of the broadcast teams worked well together. I got the sense that they all were enjoying their jobs and each other. I never felt I was being talked down to, nor did I feel they were talking "inside baseball-speak" to a degree that would leave the new baseball watcher wondering what the heck they were talking about.

I found Pedro to be a real asset in the studio. Yes, he is not in command of English to the degree of a Keith Olberman (and I did think Olberman was a bit off balance because of that...btw, I think Olberman is GREAT in a SPORTS environment), but I found Pedro's input to be insightful and his answers to specific questions to be unscripted and yet considered.

I thought Pedro displayed neither bravado nor false modesty. He is who he is, and he knows what he knows, and he is who he is because of what he knows. He shared this knowledge directly with the viewing audience.

When asked if he thought Cueto was injured, he could have taken the easy route and said "you how, he might be." Instead, he said he saw nothing to indicate that he was injured and explained why (his motion looked fine to him, as did his velocity...great stuff).

Olberman gave Pedro a softball to knock out of the park if he wanted to tout his own ability to focus in pressure situations. Instead, he shifted the question and gave the viewers insight to his mindset on the mound without being his own horn tooter or putting down Cueto.

I think Pedro served TBS, MLB, and baseball fans very well.

I really like Olberman running a studio table. However, I got the sense that Olberman was fighting a bit of hero worship re Pedro. In the Olberman-Martinez interactions, I though Pedro was the more professional, of the two.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Andy
Hall Of Famer

I do like Dirk Hayhurst, but I've also read his books so I kind of already liked him. Pedro, wasn't bad, though, and I like DeRosa.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla View Post
I really like Olberman running a studio table. However, I got the sense that Olberman was fighting a bit of hero worship re Pedro. In the Olberman-Martinez interactions, I though Pedro was the more professional, of the two.
Keith Olberman can be rightly called a lot of things, some of them good, some of them bad, but professional is not one of them......
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote