Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 06-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
iginzburg
Bat Boy

Game crashes during start up and other times

My game crashes when I start it up sometimes. Also, it would crash while I am playing the game. Like looking at my roster or trading or anything at all. It's very annoying. Please help
iginzburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iginzburg View Post
My game crashes when I start it up sometimes. Also, it would crash while I am playing the game. Like looking at my roster or trading or anything at all. It's very annoying. Please help
can't help without more info

what's your device?
What version of the game are you running?
Is your device jailbroken?
what firmware are you using?
what is your sexual orientation?
do you have enough disk space?
have you tried restarting your idevice?
omgimasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Almost the right questions.

To help you out, please answer my questions:

1. What device type? (e.g. iPhone 4G with 16GB)
2. What iOS? (e.g. 4.2.1)
3. Is your device jailbroken?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Redsox1980
Bat Boy

I have same problem

I have the iPhone 3G with operating software updated to the most recent, 4.2. I have the updated version of the game, 1.0.3

It crashes constantly. I reboot my phone all the time and still won't help. You mentioned jailbroken, what is that?

Please help
Redsox1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1980 View Post
I have the iPhone 3G with operating software updated to the most recent, 4.2. I have the updated version of the game, 1.0.3

It crashes constantly. I reboot my phone all the time and still won't help. You mentioned jailbroken, what is that?

Please help
jailbreaking is a way to remove some restrictions on your ipod, allowing for more customization, it also may cause some problems if the corrup files are downloaded
Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

The iPhone 3G has just 128 MB memory, so it is not optimal to play iOOTP 2011. That said, I have one myself and test a lot. Normally it works quit ok, but you have to follow a few rules:

1. Please reboot your device before you start the game.

To reboot your device, please follow this guide:

- Hold down the hold button at the top and the home button at the center front of the device.
- Continue holding them even after the slider to turn off the device appears.
- A few seconds after this, the screen will flash and go black.
- Hold down the hold button at the top until the screen lights up again and the Apple logo appears.
- Release the button and let the device finish booting up.

2. Before you quit the game, save manually.

3. Don't play to many seasons in one sitting (I just played 2 seasons without a crash).

4. After you get a crash (which is most likely due to low memory), before you start up the game again, reboot the device.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
iginzburg
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by palli View Post
Almost the right questions.

To help you out, please answer my questions:

1. What device type? (e.g. iPhone 4G with 16GB)
2. What iOS? (e.g. 4.2.1)
3. Is your device jailbroken?

1. I have Ipod iTouch Second Generation with 8 GB
2. The most up to day version of iOS software on my itouch.
3. The device is not jailbroken.

I have 6.8 GB free on my iTouch. I also have the most update version of the game.

Last edited by iginzburg; 06-05-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

palli's answer applies to you too, same amount of ram on 2nd gen
Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #9
iginzburg
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgimasian View Post
palli's answer applies to you too, same amount of ram on 2nd gen
None of the other games I had did that. This must be a bug then. I shouldn't have to reboot the game. It's not right. None of the games I have or had did that.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #10
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iginzburg View Post
None of the other games I had did that. This must be a bug then. I shouldn't have to reboot the game. It's not right. None of the games I have or had did that.
every game has different requirements, and iootp uses ALOT of memory.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

iOOTP is pretty heavy with memory usage. We used every possible trick to get it running on old devices (devices, Apple does not support anymore) and we will continue to improve the situation. I test on my own iPhone 3G (which should be similar to your iPod 2G) and as long as I follow the guidelines I posted earlier in this thread, the game works ok for me.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Spharv2
Minors (Double A)

Does the amount of info (stats and such) significantly increase the memory usage late in the season? I have no problems simming, watching games, making roster adjustments in the beginning of the year, but when I hit about August/September (Which is kind of an important time of the year) I basically have to turn my team over to the AI and sim everything because if I so much as look at the roster or try and watch a game, it's an instant crash. And it still crashes at least once a week (Gametime). It's become a save-fest, otherwise I would end up playing the same week over and over again.

Running the 8GB IPod Touch version 4.2.1, so I know it's borderline, but honestly, if the most important time of the year is this bad, it shouldn't even be considered to "run" on this thing.
Spharv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spharv2 View Post
Running the 8GB IPod Touch version 4.2.1, so I know it's borderline, but honestly, if the most important time of the year is this bad, it shouldn't even be considered to "run" on this thing.
With 4.x please bear in mind you might have other applications running in the background taking up memory - this can be a VERY big factor in this regard.

(I've found with my own iOS application that it will frequently find that far less than 10Mb is available for its use, sometimes as low as 6Mb ... however a clean reboot will normally ensure that 40Mb+ is available which is quite a large difference and obviously makes applications far smoother when running and in some cases more stable)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Supernovae
Minors (Double A)

The only thing that I can think of around that time is Sept call-ups, which happen Sept 1st. For standard leagues that could mean an additional 450 players worth of data, etc.

Have you tested a fictional league with <16 teams to see if you still experience the same slowness/crashing in August/September? If not, I would give that a shot.
Supernovae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
Spharv2
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
With 4.x please bear in mind you might have other applications running in the background taking up memory - this can be a VERY big factor in this regard.

(I've found with my own iOS application that it will frequently find that far less than 10Mb is available for its use, sometimes as low as 6Mb ... however a clean reboot will normally ensure that 40Mb+ is available which is quite a large difference and obviously makes applications far smoother when running and in some cases more stable)

Here's my current situation. It's time to send the Sep call-ups down, and I forgot to leave the roster moves on CPU, and now I have no choice but to try and do them myself.

1) Clean reboot
2) Immediately open game
3) Load file

I might be able to open the roster and one guy's card and send him to the minors, but normally, I crash as soon as I open the roster. I've been able to send one player down, and save before the game crashes. Tried to do some more, but now I can't even get one guy down before the crash. So now I'm stuck and can't continue the league because I can't send people down, and since I can't do roster moves, I can't continue into the playoffs. This is the third time I've gotten to this stage of a league, about 2-3 seasons in and gotten stuck at this point.

I will try a smaller league and sim through a few seasons to see if that has the same issue crop up. If not, it's probably something about the accumulation of stats and such that's tapping out the memory. If so, is there something we could add to clean some of that out after the seasons are over with? I don't know how much of the in-depth stats are saved form season to season, but I could get by with just the basics in the player's history if that would help. Maybe something optional? As it is, I simply can't play more than a couple of seasons with this before I run into a situation like this where I am completely unable to continue.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Supernovae
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spharv2 View Post
Here's my current situation. It's time to send the Sep call-ups down, and I forgot to leave the roster moves on CPU, and now I have no choice but to try and do them myself.

1) Clean reboot
2) Immediately open game
3) Load file

I might be able to open the roster and one guy's card and send him to the minors, but normally, I crash as soon as I open the roster. I've been able to send one player down, and save before the game crashes. Tried to do some more, but now I can't even get one guy down before the crash. So now I'm stuck and can't continue the league because I can't send people down, and since I can't do roster moves, I can't continue into the playoffs. This is the third time I've gotten to this stage of a league, about 2-3 seasons in and gotten stuck at this point.

I will try a smaller league and sim through a few seasons to see if that has the same issue crop up. If not, it's probably something about the accumulation of stats and such that's tapping out the memory. If so, is there something we could add to clean some of that out after the seasons are over with? I don't know how much of the in-depth stats are saved form season to season, but I could get by with just the basics in the player's history if that would help. Maybe something optional? As it is, I simply can't play more than a couple of seasons with this before I run into a situation like this where I am completely unable to continue.
Well, I could see using the player search feature to identify players on your team and using that to open their player card and moving them down to the minors. Otherwise, opening their player card through League News or League Leaders (if you have top players) but that could always be tricky especially if you have players without breakout games or top league stats.

The other thing I could think of is opening your lineup (to look at Lineup versus RHP) without the DH, selecting the pitcher spot, which reduces the players shown in the roster and moving them that way. The same thing with the Rotation. Removing a pitcher and selecting an empty pitching spot to only focus on, say, 13-20 pitchers.

However, if you're crashing when you move one player then what I mentioned above won't work.

Is iOOTP the only app that you have open?

-Supernovae
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
Supernovae
Minors (Double A)

Does having WiFi enabled use a lot of memory or just the battery?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
Spharv2
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernovae View Post
Does having WiFi enabled use a lot of memory or just the battery?
I had the same thought, so enabled airplane mode, same result.

I'm going straight into iOOTP from the reboot, so I know nothing else is open. The main reason I think it might be from the accumulation of stats is that it doesn't happen in the first season or two, only once I hit about season three that I run into this issue. I'm only doing fictional leagues, so I don't know if the MLB or historical replays have the same issue.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Just a comment. I have push email, wi-fi, Bluetooth enabled and never had a crash. I usually even play music while playing game. Mo issues. It is probably a certain program doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #20
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

We will try to improve the situation with old devices but at this point the best advice I can give is: reboot your device before playing and after a crash.

To reboot your device, please follow this guide:

- Hold down the hold button at the top and the home button at the center front of the device.
- Continue holding them even after the slider to turn off the device appears.
- A few seconds after this, the screen will flash and go black.
- Hold down the hold button at the top until the screen lights up again and the Apple logo appears.
- Release the button and let the device finish booting up.

Over the next few days I will play around with my iPhone 3G (which counts as old device). Anything I should do beside sim late into the season (like play out games or stuff)?