Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 05-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Could Not Create Game Folder

When I go to start a new game it reads "Could not create game folder". I've tried using both the default roster and current.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Windows User Account Control isn't letting you write to your save folder. Most of the time, just starting the game via right-click - Run as Administrator will solve that.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Windows User Account Control isn't letting you write to your save folder. Most of the time, just starting the game via right-click - Run as Administrator will solve that.
Tried that, no luck. Tried running the compatibility tests and Windows says it's an invalid file.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

I even tried downloading FHM 3 and I get the same message.

Last edited by Savoie45; 05-26-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

OK, must be something else. When you try to create the game are you re-using a particular save name? I'm wondering if something didn't get deleted properly and the game's refusing to let you re-create the folder that it already thinks exists. Try a name that's definitely something you've never used before - just a random bunch of numbers or something like that - and see if that works.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Quote:
OK, must be something else. When you try to create the game are you re-using a particular save name? I'm wondering if something didn't get deleted properly and the game's refusing to let you re-create the folder that it already thinks exists. Try a name that's definitely something you've never used before - just a random bunch of numbers or something like that - and see if that works.
Ok, but I still don't understand why I get the same message with FHM 3, which I bought for the sole purpose of seeing if the issue persisted, which it did. I had never played a game on FHM 3, so I'm confused why I would got the same message.

Just tried FHM 4 again with oddball league name and got the same result. Everything with Steam checks out, so I'm thinking it has to be a conflict with Windows 10 latest update.

Last edited by Savoie45; 05-28-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:27 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

If it was something inherent to that last Windows update I'd expect to be seeing more reports like yours by now, though. Let's try this: on the Start screen, go to Settings-Troubleshooting and click on Enable Debug Trace. Then try to create a new game, and as soon as you get that message, go to your \debug folder (without closing the game) and open the fhm_trace.txt file and post the contents here. Even if that doesn't give us anything directly related to that error message, we can at least see if the game is trying to put everything in the correct folders and not writing somewhere it shouldn't (and can't.)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Quote:
If it was something inherent to that last Windows update I'd expect to be seeing more reports like yours by now, though. Let's try this: on the Start screen, go to Settings-Troubleshooting and click on Enable Debug Trace. Then try to create a new game, and as soon as you get that message, go to your \debug folder (without closing the game) and open the fhm_trace.txt file and post the contents here. Even if that doesn't give us anything directly related to that error message, we can at least see if the game is trying to put everything in the correct folders and not writing somewhere it shouldn't (and can't.)
It won't allow me to open the trace file. I click on it, nothing happens. I can't even sign in at the top of the home screen.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:25 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

That's very strange, it's just a text file, it should open up with notepad. Come to think of it, since it's text the forum should let you upload it, so let's try that - when you click on Post Reply (or if you're using the quick reply at the bottom, click on Go Advanced) choose "Manage Attachments" at the bottom and upload the file from there.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:18 AM   #10
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Then just email me the trace file to sebastian@ootpdevelopments.com

You don´t have the needed rights wherever the game installed. If you send me the file I can see where the game installed and see if I can help you solve this.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:34 AM   #11
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Then just email me the trace file to sebastian@ootpdevelopments.com

You don´t have the needed rights wherever the game installed. If you send me the file I can see where the game installed and see if I can help you solve this.
That's the problem, I can't even bring up a trace file.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
That's the problem, I can't even bring up a trace file.
You mean the game does not generate a file (which makes sense as it seems you don´t have the needed rights)? In what location did you install the game to? Is it Steam or eSellerate? Can you please check your "Documents" folder, there should be a "Out of the Park Developmens" folder with "Franchise Hockey Manager 4" in it. Do you have such folders?
Old 06-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #13
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

It's in my Steam folder on Drive C, there is no Out of the Park folder though.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:25 AM   #14
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
It's in my Steam folder on Drive C, there is no Out of the Park folder though.
It should be C:\Users\(your Windows username)\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 4 if you went with the default installation path.