Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Please fix contract negotiations

This has been an ongoing problem for many years, and I keep hoping it will get fixed.

Example of what is happening:

Player "A" is arbitration eligible (estimation is $8 million according to game)

Player "A" asks for $9.6 million for 1 year
GM (me) offers $8 million for 1 year
Player "A" asks for $10.9 million for 1 year
GM (me) "LOL What?"

In no way will a player ask for more than his original price after being tendered an offer. That's NOT how contract negotiations work.

Player "B"

Player "B" is arbitration eligible (estimation is $17 million according to game)

Player "B" asks for $39 million per year for 7 years
GM (me) "What? Nobody else even makes close to that in this league. I offer $25 million per year for 7 years with an opt-out."

Player "B" asks for $35 million per year for 7 years
GM (me) "...."

Please, I am begging you, fix contracts in the next patch. This makes the game nearly unplayable and takes all the fun out of being a GM as I begin to dread the offseason. The above examples are in an online league, but I have seen this in solo games as well.
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
MJOzz
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romagoth View Post
This has been an ongoing problem for many years, and I keep hoping it will get fixed.

Example of what is happening:

Player "A" is arbitration eligible (estimation is $8 million according to game)

Player "A" asks for $9.6 million for 1 year
GM (me) offers $8 million for 1 year
Player "A" asks for $10.9 million for 1 year
GM (me) "LOL What?"

In no way will a player ask for more than his original price after being tendered an offer. That's NOT how contract negotiations work.

Player "B"

Player "B" is arbitration eligible (estimation is $17 million according to game)

Player "B" asks for $39 million per year for 7 years
GM (me) "What? Nobody else even makes close to that in this league. I offer $25 million per year for 7 years with an opt-out."

Player "B" asks for $35 million per year for 7 years
GM (me) "...."

Please, I am begging you, fix contracts in the next patch. This makes the game nearly unplayable and takes all the fun out of being a GM as I begin to dread the offseason. The above examples are in an online league, but I have seen this in solo games as well.

The issues with Player A in the above post are nearly game breaking. A lot of players get stuck in a 1 year loop because getting extensions signed can be so difficult.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
the doctor
Minors (Single A)

it seems that the calculations that determine a player's contract demands are extremely simplistic - i assume it's taking WAR into account and basically nothing else.

contract demands need to be scaled to the player's age, position, what other similar players are making, and what the overall salary situation leaguewide is.

Last edited by the doctor; 05-31-2018 at 12:23 PM.
the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
Boom Boom
Major Leagues

I agree this is part of the game that needs to be fixed immediately!
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
the doctor
Minors (Single A)

this ties into so many other realism issues as well that are all contract-related.

another classic - all the guys that have never played above AA that come into free agency every year demanding major league offers. that simply isn't realistic.
the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I don't understand the "player A' dilemma. For at least the last four versions of this game, I have always been able to sign arbitration eligible players for one year contracts worth less then the arbitration estimate. It might only be 25K less for someone in the 1 million range or a few hundred thousand less for someone in the 6 million range but it is always less. As for scenario "B", what do you expect when the AI will sign guys like Bryce Harper, Mike Trout or even a Nomar Mazara after a great year for over 40M per year?
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I have always assumed that they raise their request because they were insulted by your offer, making it harder for you to sign them.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
I have always assumed that they raise their request because they were insulted by your offer, making it harder for you to sign them.
That makes sense, but I think what the OP originally was referring to was more that there isn't give and take in negotiations.
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_superstar View Post
That makes sense, but I think what the OP originally was referring to was more that there isn't give and take in negotiations.
That sounds more like a “nice to have” as opposed to “fix immediately”.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
That sounds more like a “nice to have” as opposed to “fix immediately”.

Contract negotiations should absolutely have a give and take and it should be treated as more than just a "nice to have". I don't expect complete and total realism, but when a guy comes back at you asking for more than his original offer, that makes zero sense in a realistic contract negotiation setting.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #11
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post

This makes some sense, but if this is the case then it would be nice to see the player mention this during negotiations, instead of the usual drivel they always say (That isn't what i was looking for, how about this instead).
Old 05-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romagoth View Post
Contract negotiations should absolutely have a give and take and it should be treated as more than just a "nice to have". I don't expect complete and total realism, but when a guy comes back at you asking for more than his original offer, that makes zero sense in a realistic contract negotiation setting.
While it isn't realistic, it doesn't really affect the end result. I've had many negotiations where the player came back with a higher number than he originally wanted but ultimately settled for a contract lower than the original asking price. It seems to be more of an ascetic problem than it is a functional problem.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote