Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - Online Leagues

OOTP 17 - Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 17 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

Fast Sim League Proposal with Historical Minors

How many people would be interested in a fast sim league that utilizes the historical minor league players feature? In the interest of full disclosure, I will state immediately that I'm not posting this in the normal format for a new league because I won't be able to be the commissioner of this league due to other OOTP commitments.

Because of the super fast sim nature (a season per week), it would be a bit unlike most online leagues. The basic sim schedule I was envisioning would be this:

Day / Sim Start - Sim End / Comments

Sunday / Offseason Starts - Free Agency Filings / Last chance to sign players to extensions, rookie signings begin
Monday / Free Agency Filings - Rule 5 Draft (December 15th) / Roster moves to avoid Rule 5 Draft pool, first free agency sim
Tuesday / Rule 5 Draft - Preseason Begins / Rule 5 Draft, second free agency sim
Wednesday / Preseason Begins - Spring Training Begins / Third free agency sim
Thursday / Spring Training Begins - Opening Day / Final free agency sim
Friday / Opening Day - Offseason Starts / Rosters, lineups, and staffs must be set; entire regular season and playoffs are simulated
Saturday / No sim

In order to accomplish the super fast sim schedule there probably couldn't be a draft, which in turns make the Rule 5 an important step. That would probably have to be accomplished by people posting their Rule 5 lists after the Monday sim. So rookies would be free agents that are imported at the end of the Friday sim when the offseason starts, that gives people the weekend to figure out their rookie offer strategy.

Could be fun, could be a disaster. I figured the league would start the day the 1918-1919 offseason starts with the 1919 minor league rookie batch. So basically the commish would start the league as a 1918 historical replay and then sim the 1918 season. I've been playing a solo game like this without the minor leagues and I'm in 1954 now after starting in 1871. Here are some of the major settings differences from normal play I use to make this fast sim possible and/or enjoyable for me:

No injuries
No suspensions
25-man for both active and secondary roster (prevents player hoarding, exposes overstock of talent to Rule 5 Draft)
1 year until free agency (since rookies are free agents, players get the right to immediate free agency)
Use talent ratings and development engine (no recalc)
Coaching system off
DFA period length: 50 days (this gives time to make roster moves after signings due to long sim periods)
5 years to minor league FA (doesn't really matter, good players would get grabbed in Rule 5 hopefully)

Anyway, just an idea. Obviously if an online league never gets started I'll probably fire up a solo league on this basis. Heck, I'll probably do it anyway. The only problem is that the AI is WAY WAY too easy in a solo league without a draft. It doesn't value anyone properly and I don't mean just the rookies, free agents are way too easy to sign in the old days too.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Big Train
Major Leagues

My suggestion would be to slow it down a bit (maybe two weeks per game year?) and turn injuries on. Injuries are a big part of the strategic depth of the game in my opinion.
Big Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

let us know how it works out

imo, no injuries and the entire season simmed in 1 go seems terrible.
Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

I would love a fast sim league like this. The most fun I've ever had in an OOTP online league over the years was a fast sim league that Joe Cronin (I think it was him) did years ago. We did the entire season in a week. Then the off season was the next week. So it would be fantastic for something similar to pop up on OOTP 17 so I can take part. I considered running one myself but I don't have the time or resources to run one to my liking. I'd want all the bells and whistles with a site and everything. So hopefully someone will do one.
Jeremy Weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

I love this, but I would recommend no Rule V because too many people miss that sim in slow leagues. In a fast league like this it would be a massive problem.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
I love this, but I would recommend no Rule V because too many people miss that sim in slow leagues. In a fast league like this it would be a massive problem.
I understand what you're saying but I don't see that as an issue. Those that are paying attention would be able to post their lists in the forum. Those that miss it only have to wait one week until the next Rule 5 Draft. Ha.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #7
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm.

I only know a little bit about fast-sim. But in general, the trick is keep things moving to keep people engaged. Probably needs a less compressed schedule, mostly because people burnout over that timeframe. Otherwise, the premise is a cool one.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 03-22-2016 at 12:31 AM.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Hmmm.

I only know a little bit about fast-sim. But in general, the trick is keep things moving to keep people engaged. Probably needs a less compressed schedule, mostly because people burnout over that timeframe. Otherwise, the premise is a cool one.
What a FOOLish thing to say.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
What a FOOLish thing to say.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
LSUTigerJosh
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I would be interested also, but think 2 weeks is better pace with injuries available.
LSUTigerJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

Yeah, this one has kind of died on the vine. As I mentioned, I would not be able to commish this league and I doubt an online league with historical minors would work for OOTP 17. The reason, of course, is that you are required to enable automatic expansion so the league would be locked in to adding teams when they're added in real life. Markus has indicated that hopefully we'll be able to import the historical minor league players only without having to import the complete MLB and MiLB structure in OOTP 18.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:07 PM   #12
Matty86
Major Leagues

I think it would be fun to do a fast pace league where the regular season is split between 4 sims.. About 6 weeks each, but maybe adjust so that one sim ends for the trade deadline.

Historical and just have guys join the teams that they were drafted by in real life.
Matty86 is offline   Reply With Quote