Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > Grand Championship League

Old 12-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

OTBA Team Preview

Hello everyone, I'm kingcharlesxii and I'm representing the OTBA in this tournament, a league that has been in existence for almost 10 real years and 50 simulated seasons.

Going into the draft, I was planning to mainly respond to the picks others made and see where I could get the best overall value for the picks. What I ended up with is an elite defensive team, a pitch to contact pitching staff and a decent offense with some question marks. I didn't expect to have a roster full of All-Stars in a serpentine draft though.

C - Maurice Leblanc will start and was selected in round 5. He's just a solid all-around player with no real weaknesses. I'm obviously hoping for a season closer to his 1983 season as opposed to his disappointing 1984 season. As his backup, I selected Eduardo Santos in the 17th round. He's a switch hitter who will walk a lot and play excellent defense - pretty much my ideal backup catcher.

1B - If there's one weak spot on this team it might be here. There was a big run on sluggers early and I ended up with 1B Ismael Rodriguez in the 11th round. If he can hit .250, he should be fine and if he repeats his 1982 season I'll be thrilled. Still, he shouldn't be a glaring weakness and he'll be a plus with the glove.

2B - Aaron Roy was drafted in round 2 and should be hitting in the 1 or 2 hole. I'm expecting a huge season out of him as he's young and has had good ratings development since the last season he played, something along a .310/.380/.440 triple slash with plus defense.

3B - I wasn't happy with the 3B talent pool so I drafted SS Ricardo Limon in the 11th round and moved him to third. He should be a league average hitter with a plus-plus glove and worth about 3 wins.

SS - We picked Steve Hanson in round 4. He's a young player who should improve on his past seasons and be a league average hitter with a plus-plus glove (a bit of a trend on this team!)

LF - Jim West was picked in round 10 and is an offensive question mark - he should be better than his past stats. One thing I'm not worried about is his glove, which should be worth 2 wins by itself in left.

CF - My #1 pick, Sacha Groenendijk, is basically a left-handed Andruw Jones in his prime (he's even from the Dutch Antilles!). He has a good power bat, great speed and has put up some of the craziest defensive numbers I've ever seen in my many years of playing OOTP. He's a perennial MVP candidate and I was thrilled to get him near the end of the first round - I had him in my top 5.

RF - Troy Allen is a gamble in the 9th round - he has no major league history so I have to rely on my best guess. I'm pretty confident he can hit and be a plus-plus defensive outfielder.

DH - Aaron Patterson's days of playing the field are over but I'm hoping he has one last good year of offense left in him. We picked him in the 14th round to be our leadoff hitter and hopefully get on base 275-300 times this season. Not only can he walk a ton, he possesses a positively Jason Kendall-esque ability to get hit by pitches.

SP1 - Vicente Rios was picked in the 3rd round. He's an ace level starter that does everything pretty well. I'm pretty confident he'll be one of the better pitchers in the league with this defense behind him.

SP2 - Our round 6 pick John Hinton is a gamble - he has a terrible track record but it's mainly influenced by big BABIP spikes. He's a lefty knuckleballer and should be fine if he keeps the ball in the park. He could be an ace or he could be a #4 starter, we'll see.

SP3 - Michael Jewell went in round 7 and should be the rare innings eater who pitches high quality innings. He won't strike out tons but the bases will be empty for the few homers he gives up.

SP4 - Nick Smith lasted until round 12 and while he has no track record, he's a lefty with theoretically good control and won't give up homers - that's great for a #4 starter.

SP5 - Jesus Betancourt is the old man on the staff and that's why he lasted until round 13. He's not getting the ball past any hitters but they're not going to walk against him and those hits are all going to be weak singles.

CL - I don't put a lot of emphasis on closers so I didn't pick one until round 19. Brad Johnson will pitch the 9th (and sometimes the 8th) and should be good in that limited role.

Stoppers - We have a lefty-righty duo who should see most of the innings out of the 'pen. Guillermo Castro is the righty and Alberto Martinez is the lefty. Both are high endurance relievers and I'm hoping to get a starter's worth of innings out of the two of them.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the team I was able to draft. The preseason predictions have us as one of the favorites and I'm hoping that is true. We'll test DIPS theory to the max with our pitching staff and defense and hopefully that translates into a lot of wins and a championship.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote