Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary

Old 07-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
blackrussian
All Star Reserve

new Expanded english.xml file

hi everyone,
i finished the first working draft of my expanded english.xml file. its fairly modest and likely wont make much of an impact on your game (if you play it out pitch-by-pitch/at-bat) as it has only 1600 or so new entries. the xml is intact and doesnt crash the game. that said, back up your original english.xml file and backup your save if you want to try this out. these updates are only for in-game play by play. none of the original ootp text has been removed or modified in any way.

this was kind of an exercise for me to learn the game play syntax and structure. im also going to continually update the file with new pbp and improve the existing ones as i find errors and busted entries.

the majority of the new events are low frequency (that is, chance of occuring in game) and some of them are really hyperspecific to a game situation. the goal of this update, at least initially, was to start adding some depth and breadth to certain categories/events that are really adaptable to more of a "color commentary" tone. i know its overly ambitious but i want to keep building my own corpus so that it is significant enough for it to have a regular presence in the game play alongside the original text.

download it here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...rd?usp=sharing
Old 07-19-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
fredbeene
All Star Starter

I think this is fabulous!!!! Greatly appreciated. I wish there was guidance and how we could have several people merge there ideas that woudn't break with upgrades! " )

Do you see a way you can incorporate regional news and information?
ie
milwaukee can have lots of references to beer
sweltering houston heat

perhaps incoproate historical news....ie replay 1966 and be able to pull in news for that day.
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
blackrussian
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
I think this is fabulous!!!! Greatly appreciated. I wish there was guidance and how we could have several people merge there ideas that woudn't break with upgrades! " )

Do you see a way you can incorporate regional news and information?
ie
milwaukee can have lots of references to beer
sweltering houston heat

perhaps incoproate historical news....ie replay 1966 and be able to pull in news for that day.
hiya,
theres no way to incorporate that stuff into the play by play, if thats what you mean. if would love to have a stadium/park condition in the game so one could have park specific reference in the game (green monster, mel allen's ballantine blasts in yankee stadium in the 50s etc). that opens a whole other dimension.

right now, ive focused strictly on the pbp. it took a bit of time to get my head wrapped around how to write it well enough and i think i have a flow down to add new things relatively quickly. i spent the weekend testing and troubleshooting the ones i did add, so those are working much better. i have about another 1000-ish new ones to add that are just on paper so i want to get crackin on those.

regional news and info is a neat idea. ive used the year minimum/maximum conditions in the play by play to drop the occasional random cultural reference. i think what youre describing may be very well suited for the storylines aspect, especially incorporating references from a specific time period. thats sort of an open-world playground there. ive only had a superficial look at that aspect but its really interesting to me. once i get a few more of the pbp updates done, ill see how the storylines work.

as far as adding that kind of information into the regular game recaps, there is a team localpaper token but my guess is that it just takes the name of the team's city and appends 'Daily' to it (eg, the Milwaukee Daily). the game doesnt know what the "Midwest" is for example. it seems like it would be hard to write decade/team/park specific items for a category like recaps.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrussian View Post
hi everyone,
i finished the first working draft of my expanded english.xml file. its fairly modest and likely wont make much of an impact on your game (if you play it out pitch-by-pitch/at-bat) as it has only 1600 or so new entries. the xml is intact and doesnt crash the game. that said, back up your original english.xml file and backup your save if you want to try this out. these updates are only for in-game play by play. none of the original ootp text has been removed or modified in any way.

this was kind of an exercise for me to learn the game play syntax and structure. im also going to continually update the file with new pbp and improve the existing ones as i find errors and busted entries.

the majority of the new events are low frequency (that is, chance of occuring in game) and some of them are really hyperspecific to a game situation. the goal of this update, at least initially, was to start adding some depth and breadth to certain categories/events that are really adaptable to more of a "color commentary" tone. i know its overly ambitious but i want to keep building my own corpus so that it is significant enough for it to have a regular presence in the game play alongside the original text.

download it here:
Why not submit your ideas to me for inclusion in the text DB? I can't promise I'd use them all, but I'm sure I could plug in some. Up to you.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
blackrussian
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Why not submit your ideas to me for inclusion in the text DB? I can't promise I'd use them all, but I'm sure I could plug in some. Up to you.
I'd be happy to send you everything I write your way. I appreciate the offer! I'm going to keep writing because it's really fun for me and if something looks good to you, by all means. If you have time at some point, I'd love to have some clarification on a few things I haven't been able to figure out yet.

And because I've been staring at the file so long now, I have some minor errata I can send as well (missing spaces, value, misspellings etc).
Old 07-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Send me a PM with whatever you want to share. If you have questions, I'll try to answer them.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
curt
Major Leagues

Quote:
hi everyone,

download it here:
My game won't load with this file. I get to 80% and it crashes. Why are there 2 files?
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
blackrussian
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt View Post
My game won't load with this file. I get to 80% and it crashes. Why are there 2 files?
sorry about that. i moved a work-in-progress version in there accidentally. i took out the extra one and uploaded the stable one.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
curt
Major Leagues

Quote:
sorry about that. i moved a work-in-progress version in there accidentally. i took out the extra one and uploaded the stable one.
Works. Awesome job, appreciate the work on this
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
beepollen
All Star Reserve

Empty folder - can we get a re-post, pls?
beepollen is offline   Reply With Quote