Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Independent League

If there is anyone out there that plays as an independent league team, how is the best way to look for players? I do a search for players but it always shows everyone. I click the Free Agents for the league but I am hoping I can find that old time MLB guy that wants to extend his career playing for the Champions. Anyone have an idea of the best way to look?
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Indy leagues in OOTP never seem to work they way you think they should. The teams sign players they can't afford. Players good enough to be ML sign with indy leagues. It never seems to treat them like they operate in RL. I just stopped using them last version.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Indy leagues in OOTP never seem to work they way you think they should. The teams sign players they can't afford. Players good enough to be ML sign with indy leagues. It never seems to treat them like they operate in RL. I just stopped using them last version.
Not necessarily true anymore, they have tweaked these over the last two versions. They may not be perfect, but what you are describing does not happen anymore.

I use them still and have not seen fringe MLB/MiLB players sign in the Indy Leagues unless there are no other options for them to continue playing, in fact most of the Indy Rosters do not get filled out until closer to the start of their regular season and then they make more signings around the time teams purge their minors closer to the draft. I have seen many guys who are mid 20s and floundering in A ball get released by their team and then sign with a team in the Atlantic, American Assoc or Can-Am Leagues and have seen undrafted guys go to the Frontier and PECOS and Pacific Assoc. And I have noticed a lot of teams do end up purchasing guys from the Indy Leagues throughout the season to end up filling out their minors. Guys who could still be in the MLB but cannot find a job will more likely end up in Taiwan or Japan before they settle on an Indy League.

To help answer the OP's question, I have played as an Indy Team in the past and have found that it is best to wait until Spring Training is coming to and end and wait and see who gets released or is still unsigned and you have a better chance to get a better caliber player for the Indy league, and then you can find some guys around the June draft.

Like I said, it is not perfect and may not function like the real life counterparts, but it does work much better than it did in v18 or 19.

Last edited by ohiodevil; 08-11-2019 at 08:49 AM.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the info. Not sure if Im going to continue playing it or not but I do like the Indy leagues. I just find it so hard to get players
Old 08-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Thanks for the info. Not sure if Im going to continue playing it or not but I do like the Indy leagues. I just find it so hard to get players
Don't give up on them too quickly, I had the same problem when I started playing as one of them, you just have to spend more time looking for players than you would as an MLB or even Japanese, Mexican or Taiwanese team. It took me a couple of times starting and stopping before I was able to figure out what players would sign with me and then look for guys in their early 20s who were released by MLB teams to add to the reserve roster and keep a list of those guys as possible replacements for the older guys that leave. One of the hardest parts of playing as an Indy team was when your "star" player(s) were purchased by the MLB, then you had to scramble to find a replacement. I had my top starting pitcher and closer purchased from me during the last 2 weeks of the season in a playoff chase and had to make a trade with another league to get guys to replace them and get me into the playoffs....but that was part of the fun .
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Yeah that is the kind of thing I want to have and also want to see that old guy that hangs on for a bit or maybe a guy who was hurt and cant make it in the show anymore but my biggest problem is trying to actually find these players. The free agent list for the league isnt helpful at all. The mlb one is far far far too many players that would never sign for you for the 5000 to 12000 you offer so it's so tedious to go through them.

Is there a search that would have players that you might have a shot with? In my league, christian bethancourt is playing in the league and tearing it up, I'd like to see a few more name guys appear but not any really great players if that makes any sense.

I really want to like this league

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
andyhdz
All Star Starter

only thing I strongly recommend with Indys is that its' pretty easy to dominate the league after a very short while so have some major house rules on spending limits or fleecing the AI and getting players that really don't belong in an indy league.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote