Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #21
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I had to read the dates on this thread. When I first clicked into it I thought I had accidently went back to 2009

Hey, I resisted...but yeah...the change on how games are distributed is a long-forgone conclusion.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #22
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

I use to be skeptical of steam but now use it whenever it is available.

However I don't use it for ootp because in past years only the 32bit version was available in steam and I want the 64bit version so I can take advantage of my 16G of RAM. Not sure why steam was limited to the 32ver since I have plenty of other games that are 64 on steam.

I also really enjoy using steam to send games to my kids, including OOTP

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #23
Crimguy
Minors (Triple A)

While eSellerate is better than most of the copy protection schemes out there, I still had issues back in the day when uninstalling/reinstalling Etc, requiring me to put a ticket in. Steam just plain works and I've only had issues with a few titles over the years, all of which were due more to bugs in the app than licensing.

Steam has worked great for me. OOTP also works in offline mode IIRC, so you can keep it running even if you want to run another steam title on another computer.
Crimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #24
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post

Hey, I resisted...but yeah...the change on how games are distributed is a long-forgone conclusion.
I remember the days when I had to put a deposit on a game and later drive one hour to the store to pick it up on release day. No longer with Steam, buy any games right from my computer, many times pre-downloading it then instantly play it the minute that it is released.

I like the OOTP offer on this site where they also include a Steam key. I like buying here since Markus did mention in the past that he gets more revenue from it then if people buy it from Steam. But Steam is a must for Markus to bring in a lot more money.

Someone mentioned that it takes days to patch on Steam, not by my experience, it was always the following day if not sooner.

Last edited by BusterKing; 03-15-2016 at 11:28 AM.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #25
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Last year was my first time using Steam. Purchased the game from OOTP and used the Steam Key. With my crappy DSL internet, I'm not sure I would have even made it past the first patch if it wasn't for Steam. Took me 4+ hours to initially download the game from OOTP. Then when the first Patch came out it was going to repeat that 4 hours, but it would crap out and stop downloading after 2 hours. Tried that twice and gave up. That's when I tried Steam. No problems from that point on.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #26
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

I've used Steam for a few years now, and I haven't had any problems with it. It was because of Steam I even found this game, and acquired OOTP 14 and OOTP 15 through Steam.

I bought OOTP 16 and OOTP 17 directly from here, and like others have said, I want the developers to get paid directly for their work on this project, not that I know what (if any) amount they have to give to Steam for selling this game for them.
DJP53916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #27
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post

I read an article on Polygon that stated this last holiday season that for the first time in history on consoles that digital sales exceeded physical sales.

I can foresee the end of games through physical media.

And esellrate?
The idea of actually unlicenscing and licensing my games is so archaic to me at this point.

And the best part of Steam and other digital providers is that I get to play a lot more games. Both from their frequent sales and also simply because games get more exposure.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #28
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent814 View Post
Not to sound pretentious but i think you meant to say Leery of Steam not Leary
I read the title and thought of an old Irish lord saying "I'm Leary of Steam!"
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #29
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

In my experience, the only things I've had problems with is:
1) playing games offline (I think sometimes this is just a problem with the Steam application, not the game itself)
2) I find too many games on sale that I want to buy but don't have time to play.

I think it is a neat way to get exposure to some indy games you wouldn't normally buy. Especially for Macs.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #30
fcabanski
Minors (Double A)

Steam is not good. During game play, sometimes Steam disconnects. Sometimes that makes the game crash.

Steam sometimes requires updates which interrupt game play.

Overall Steam provides benefits to the game makers/producers but not to the consumers/players.
fcabanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #31
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
I always buy OOTP direct from here but activate the game through Steam when the key becomes available. Best of both worlds (devs get more money from direct purchase, and I get the convenience of using Steam)
Same here.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #32
82BrewCrew
Minors (Rookie Ball)

My apprehension with Steam is a few years back I bought a copy of a game... A CD mind you, and when I put it into my drive, it told me I had to download the game from steam. Once the game was loaded, server issues popped up and I couldn't play the game. The logging in every time I wanted to play, advertisements for games I'm not interested in while waiting to load.... all of this made me wonder why I bought the CD in the first place.

I agree that games are headed in this direction, but do not like the idea of paying for a game that somehow gives me the feeling that I'm just renting it.

By the way, I'm not only leery of Steam, but Dennis Leary too.

I second fcabanski... had disconnection issues and a few times interruptions for updates as well as offers for other games. I buy to play... Please don't bother me when the 53 Dodgers are in a close one with the 57 Braves....

Last edited by 82BrewCrew; 03-15-2016 at 02:51 PM.
82BrewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #33
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcabanski View Post
Steam is not good. During game play, sometimes Steam disconnects. Sometimes that makes the game crash.

Steam sometimes requires updates which interrupt game play.

Overall Steam provides benefits to the game makers/producers but not to the consumers/players.
I never have either problem. That may be your Internet connection doing that.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 03-15-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #34
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
I find too many games on sale that I want to buy but don't have time to play.
How is this a problem? That's like having too many pretty girls chasing you!

Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #35
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
I use to be skeptical of steam but now use it whenever it is available.

However I don't use it for ootp because in past years only the 32bit version was available in steam and I want the 64bit version so I can take advantage of my 16G of RAM. Not sure why steam was limited to the 32ver since I have plenty of other games that are 64 on steam.

I also really enjoy using steam to send games to my kids, including OOTP
I'm pretty sure that OOTPD has never released a 64-bit version of OOTP.

Last edited by byzeil; 03-15-2016 at 06:44 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #36
82BrewCrew
Minors (Rookie Ball)

"Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it"......

I'll disagree with that statement wholeheartedly..... This game is going to blow the rest of the Baseball games out of the water for the simple fact that you'll be able to play any team in any era....

I hardly think OOTP will be just for management purposes anymore.....
82BrewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #37
oldcatcher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Location: Virginia, USA under a bridge in a van down by the river
Maybe it's from all the baseballs to my head from over 30 yrs of umpiring, but as an old hoot gamer I am leery of folks that correct the spelling or usage of words on this internet thing. Just makes me real leary...
oldcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #38
vegaspomeranians
Minors (Double A)

I've never had major problems with steam. The only problem I had was with the steam overlay with one of my games, but it was a conflict with the anti-virus program that I was using. Other than that, steam is really fast for updating games except for this one as the patches hit the steam server a day or two later.
vegaspomeranians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #39
spacer15415
Major Leagues

Steam is wonderful. I haven't bought a game cd in years. I love the deals on games and the fact I never have to look for a cd or cd key again. I play all the time and have had only one disconnection issue ever on steam.
spacer15415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #40
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
I'm pretty sure that OOTPD has never released a 64-bit version of OOTP.
According to this post from Markus it's in the works for later this year.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote