Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: Baseball or mangement mostly?
The sport of baseball first 74 77.08%
The management of business first 22 22.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
209vaguhn
Bat Boy

Anybody not a huge baseball fan? But a OOTP fan?

I'm just curious if i'm the only person like this. I came to OOTP as a pretty casual baseball fan who was looking for a management sim that OOTP satisfies. It has in turn, made me much more of a baseball fan in real life. I've learned a lot beyond basic stats and rules through OOTP, but my love has come from the management aspect.

I play Football Manager and OOTP both a lot, but the satisfaction comes more from the managing than purely the sport. I'm a huge tycoon nerd, but they haven't made a really in-depth tycoon style game since "Capitalism 2" over 15 years ago.

Is anyone else like me who has come to like the sport more as a result of the business or management aspects of the game? Or are most people fans of the sport primarily, but also like to manage?

Last edited by 209vaguhn; 03-07-2016 at 06:44 PM.
209vaguhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Baseball first. But of you asked this over on the FHM board I'd give you a different answer.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
Kent814
All Star Reserve

Ive always been a fan ofnwatching baseball but to me the management side of baseball is the most interesting and what puts its over all other sports. Most other sports have a salary cap; not baseball. I just will always enjoy the randomness of baseball
Kent814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
209vaguhn
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent814 View Post
Ive always been a fan ofnwatching baseball but to me the management side of baseball is the most interesting and what puts its over all other sports. Most other sports have a salary cap; not baseball. I just will always enjoy the randomness of baseball
The organizational structure of and MLB franchise is much more complex than NFL or NBA. NFL or NBA teams, the "senior" team is the only team that people care about. The NCAA serves as the minor leagues to the NBA and NFL. While in the MLB, they have their own minor leagues.

MLB and FIFA are very similular in their structure. In-house player development, youth teams (minors), no salary cap. Main difference is that FIFA teams don't have drafts (other than MLS)

NBA and NFL are very similar too. No player development, all talent comes through draft, NCAA is the minor leages, salary cap,
Old 03-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Jeremy Weimer
Hall Of Famer

Not a big baseball fan. Never have been. Like the game a lot more than I like the sport.
Jeremy Weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Have to admit, when i did my MIA Marlins real-time season last year, i actually watched more Marlins regular season games last season than i ever did.
Since i live in SoFla, and this year, i am going to do a Mets real-time season, i wont be able to watch as many Mets games than Marlins games.
But playing OOTP has made me want to watch more baseball than ever.

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
jasonzimmie
Minors (Double A)

I am a die hard baseball fan and I think that this game makes baseball a lot more enjoyable
jasonzimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
curt
Major Leagues

I'm a Blue Jays fan, so OOTP occupy's the majority of my baseball time. Although, the Jays did better last year so I had their games on while I played OOTP
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #9
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt View Post
I'm a Blue Jays fan, so OOTP occupy's the majority of my baseball time. Although, the Jays did better last year so I had their games on while I played OOTP
Im with you.
Having a baseball game on TV, while playing OOTP, makes great background noise!
It fully immerses me into the game.

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #10
Tashtego
Minors (Double A)

I enjoy OOTP on a day to day basis, but as far as actual MLB goes - Wake me up when the playoffs begin.

Last edited by Tashtego; 03-08-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Tashtego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

I'm a fan of baseball and OOTP. Been a baseball fan as long as I can remember.
I love at 7:05 being at the TV watching the O's and playing OOTP at the same time. It's the little things in life.
Birdland24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'm a huge fan of both equally.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #13
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
In fact, I will often play OOTP while I have a game going on the background on MLB TV.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
Blue
Minors (Single A)

Baseball has never been my #1 sport. I stumbled on OOTP a few years ago after playing sports video games in a management way since I was 5. Figured this type of style out on an old NBA Live when I was five years old and the controls for in game were too complex for me at that age to actually play individual games, instead I ran through franchise mode constantly just building teams and I never stopped. In a way I was always meant to find this game and it become my most played game, at least until the fine developers of this game make a Basketball version . Now I'm in college, studying management, and work for a college basketball team to basically try and become a general manager down the road. We'll see if it happens, but I guess for some OOTP becomes more than just a game.

Las Vegas Knights GM, 3 Time TBC Champion

Last edited by Blue; 03-08-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #15
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Baseball has always been my #1 sport and has a significant meaning in my life as it was used to save my life as a child. I will always be a fan of baseball for also another reason is that I do not have to watch smut or junk TV. Baseball remains to be clean sport for the most part. Same can be said for College football for me.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #16
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

This really piques my interest because I've been peering over at FHM even though I have no real interest in hockey, and wondering if I'd enjoy the game
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #17
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammercraft View Post
This really piques my interest because I've been peering over at FHM even though I have no real interest in hockey, and wondering if I'd enjoy the game
I hear ya in same boat. When it comes to hockey
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #18
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I really got into baseball the last 3 seasons. I've been into ootp for much longer.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #19
209vaguhn
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Baseball has never been my #1 sport. I stumbled on OOTP a few years ago after playing sports video games in a management way since I was 5. Figured this type of style out on an old NBA Live when I was five years old and the controls for in game were too complex for me at that age to actually play individual games, instead I ran through franchise mode constantly just building teams and I never stopped. In a way I was always meant to find this game and it become my most played game, at least until the fine developers of this game make a Basketball version . Now I'm in college, studying management, and work for a college basketball team to basically try and become a general manager down the road. We'll see if it happens, but I guess for some OOTP becomes more than just a game.
Good look to you! Ever given Football Manager a try? It's on par with OOTP as far as sports sims go. Different sport obviously.

I do love both OOTP and FM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammercraft View Post
LOL same here. I enjoy a little bit of playoff hockey and see highlights every once in a while. But the idea of controlling an NHL team sounds like a blast.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #20
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent814 View Post
Ive always been a fan of watching baseball but to me the management side of baseball is the most interesting and what puts its over all other sports. Most other sports have a salary cap; not baseball. I just will always enjoy the randomness of baseball
The sport itself is fun to watch, but the management side of baseball is indeed more interesting. Professional baseball is a business, and knowing how to handle resources is the key to running a successful business.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote