Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Watty89
Bat Boy

Top 10 tips

I am brand new to this game and have only just started to really get into baseball after only really watching the games without much knowledge.

Therefore I was wandering if somebody or anybody could give me like a good top 10 tips to starting a career. Basically things that I should be looking for in players, stats to keep an eye on, good staff ratings etc.

Thanks a lot
Watty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

1) Turn scouting off, not because it doesn't work, because it does. It helps to learn baseball and this game with 100% accurate information. If you find the game easy then turn it back on.

2) Take a look on your manager options and decide of you want ot manage everything or delegate some tasks to the AI. This can be very helpful if it seems overwhelming.

3) Google every stat you see in the game AVG, OBP, PA, BA, OPS, OPS+, FIP, WHIP, etc. Baseball stats are awesome and weird. Knowing what you are looking at is very helpful. In looking for explanations of the stats you will learn lots of other information.

4) To be continued, kids going to bed.
Great game, have fun.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Tip #1 through 10: Read the dynasty forum. Watching others play is a great way to learn.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
madJ
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Tip #1 through 10: Read the dynasty forum. Watching others play is a great way to learn.
That's one of the best tips you can get. It might require a lot of patience to read about others playing the game instead of playing yourself, but you can learn a lot.
And since he's the one who posted it, start with Orcin's dynasty reports. They are very well written and very detailed. Every decision made is explained.
madJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

I'd disable automatic league evolution, or at least limit what it can do. If you're still getting familiar with baseball, it can really get confusing when OOTP makes arbitrary rule changes.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

If you like your league, but are afraid to mess it up by making a stupid mistake (been there, done that) make frequent, liberal use of the backup feature.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I would start small. creat about an 8-10 team league. start off as commish and sim a few seasons to get a feel for the stats, reports, and other functions. then once you get used to the game, create an expansion team or take over your favorite team in the league.

And a wierd tip that works for me, start your game a few years back. It may sound wierd but I am able to relate to a game year of 2008 easier than say 2016.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Start with the MLB default roster set, pick to run your favorite team. Proceed from the assumption that your first dynasty will suck. Just tool around with it, the game, the stats, find out what you like to see, and where on each screen. The game prompts you for the basicest of the basic, drafts and the like.

I'd start with scouting off, I like that suggestion made earlier. I'd turn all the ratings located at Game Settings to 1-100 for maximum knowledge. 50 is average, 75 is good, and etc...
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote