Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Rookie For Life
Bat Boy

It ain't over till it's over...and it's over before the first inning

Probably everyone here is familiar with Strat O Matic and APBA. Roll the dice, and the result could be on the pitcher's card or the hitter's card. According to the talents of the players, there were more hits on some cards and more strike outs on others.

Have you ever wondered how OOTP determines the result when the batter swings? I would have guessed that it was based on a statistically weighted random basis - but after playing a few hundred games, I'm not so sure.

There are dozens of features that I think are great on OOTP; but the one area that concerns me the most is also the most important: the actual ball game.

I wonder how OOTP's preseason predictions were so very close to the result at the end of the season. And I wondered the day my right fielder went one for three but was pronounced to be "cold" on the roster. He then went from .292 to .275, and this was after 400 at bats. How did the software know ahead of time that he was "cold"? Could it be that the software is not just reporting the results, but manufacturing the results? And the streaks - so many players and teams go on hot and cold streaks. If you have ever taken a high school or college statistics class - or played dice games - you would have to question how randomly selected results could have so many streaks. The odds would be astronomical.

I have posed these questions to the OOTP developers - no response. Does the software report randomly selected results, or does the software itself determine the results based on some unknown and arbitrary criteria? The difference is like watching college wrestling....or WWF.
Rookie For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Izz
Hall Of Famer

The preseason predictions in the league i'm currently running are usually nowhere near the final results.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

You should probably post a little more information, such as type of league (fictional or historical or 2014 quickstart), settings used, and number of seasons played. That might allow people to comment on your specific case.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

So basically what this comes down to is your inability to study the players game card? Since you can't, the game has to be fudging the numbers. Have you posed this same question to the makers of Action Pc baseball? Diamond Mind Baseball? If OOTP is predetermining things, what things are being predetermined? I guess it would have to be league totals. I just don't buy it.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote