Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Trying to understand the overall rating

Hey guys, looking at these two RPs I'm trying to understand the 18 points gap in overall between them. At first glance, it doesn't seem like the minor differences justify 18 pts but I might not be looking at it the right way.

Thanks!
Attached Images
Sipimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Not sure how the overall rating system works. You're right that this comparison looks off. Usually it's the historical card with an overall rating undervalued compared to the LIVE card, but in this case it's the other way around.

What is their Hold Runner and Pitcher Defense rating? The game might overrate those attributes if they factor at all, because I don't think they matter much to a pitcher's real value.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

overall rating is only meaningful for quicksell price

its a good thing that it doesnt really matter. it would be very boring if the relationship was exactly linear, forces people to look at the underlying ratings to evaluate how cards compare
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
eldur00
All Star Reserve

My uneducated guess, is the difference is due to the formula used all season to adjust live cards on a weekly basis. The Trevor Gott card is probably closer to what a true 71 card should be due to the constant fluctuation during the season and is reflective of its real life stats. The Gossage card was a one time creation, and the formula to create the card would have been static and completely arbitrary at the moment - and there is also the likely chance the formula was adapted and improved on during the season.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Gossage has three good pitches--four in all.

I have noticed that pitchers with more good pitches provide better results.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post

A week ago I would have though this untrue, but after doing some testing with pitch types I'm inclined to think there may be something to it. Would be interesting to run a comparison of the performance between Gossage and Gott over many many innings.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
dbqs
Major Leagues

Well, apparently Gott can't throw a gottdamn fastball.

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
A week ago I would have though this untrue, but after doing some testing with pitch types I'm inclined to think there may be something to it. Would be interesting to run a comparison of the performance between Gossage and Gott over many many innings.
Pitchers can't be effective starters with only two pitches. Gossage has 3 good ones, so IMO that makes his effectiveness last a bit longer--the starter effect. It wears off, but it still there.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

I was under the impression that the specific pitch ratings was integrated into the Stuff rating - I believe a dev said so - but maybe I'm wrong.
Sipimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipimi View Post
I was under the impression that the specific pitch ratings was integrated into the Stuff rating - I believe a dev said so - but maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, that is true. The other effect is stamina related and the multi-pitch effect has also been mentioned. How those all come together to form the overall rating--a rating that has no actual input into results--is the mystery.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipimi View Post
Hey guys, looking at these two RPs I'm trying to understand the 18 points gap in overall between them. At first glance, it doesn't seem like the minor differences justify 18 pts but I might not be looking at it the right way.

Thanks!

This why I say rating dont mattter. Questions which one would you be willing to spend the most money on? All About The Benjamins. That Trevor Gott card has been pretty solid in every level for me so far
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #12
diamond3017
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Pitchers can't be effective starters with only two pitches. Gossage has 3 good ones, so IMO that makes his effectiveness last a bit longer--the starter effect. It wears off, but it still there.
The "stuff" rating given when you sort in the auction house is the rating when the pitcher's position is set to SP. The auction house lists Gott's stuff as 82 while Gossage's is 101.

I'm guessing that "SP stuff" must be part of the OVR calculation. (Although you might think it would be moot because neither of the above pitchers has the stamina to start.)

These two pitchers have nearly identical ratings when their position is set to RP, but Donohue starts to pull away when both their positions are set to SP.
Attached Images
Image Image 

diamond3017 is offline   Reply With Quote