Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
raslavens
Minors (Single A)

What's the most you've ever overspent for a player... to complete a collection or otherwise?

Just curious. I just spent 25K on 91 Andrew Bailey to complete the Athletics collection mission. Kicking myself for not spending 30K on Street or 40K on Giambi because they at least are usable in Diamond/Perfect.
raslavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I spent 225K on 100 Babe Ruth before the "Combining Babe Ruth" mission was released, which tanked its resale value. Markus still owes me roughly 125K points. I would settle for 5 diamond packs added to my account as a compromise.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

People have been paying 100K each for extra Averills I snatched
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raslavens View Post
Just curious. I just spent 25K on 91 Andrew Bailey to complete the Athletics collection mission. Kicking myself for not spending 30K on Street or 40K on Giambi because they at least are usable in Diamond/Perfect.
I was watching that Andrew Bailey but decided I didn't really want to lock that card over the other options, like you said. How much did you bid? I was almost going to put a bid in, but decided to let the person who bid (you I suppose) have it for the minimum 25k bid.

EDIT: As for the topic, the most I overpaid was for Perfect Eric Davis at 55k. He had stats so I tried to re-sell immediately, but it never had takers. It was around this point that I realized it was a junk card and I was unhappy to be stuck with it. Finally I sold it for 44k. I think now it's come down in price even more and you'd be lucky to get 35k for it.

Last edited by Argonaut; 10-09-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Junk Eric Davis
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #5
dbqs
Major Leagues

I spent like 1,800 on Fulmer to finish the live Tigers. Heilmann was worth it. But it's funny how that card has pretty much remained so expensive for so long. Friggin' conspiracy over here.

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I spent 225K on 100 Babe Ruth before the "Combining Babe Ruth" mission was released, which tanked its resale value. Markus still owes me roughly 125K points. I would settle for 5 diamond packs added to my account as a compromise.
I think I paid 160k for that card. I overpaid a bit on 99 Walter Johnson but had earlier missed out on one by low balling so I guess I swung the other direction.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
agreibrok
Bat Boy

200k for 91 Hank Aaron to complete Braves collection in the beginning. Sadly pulled one in a pack within the next day and was only able to recoup 100k.
agreibrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #8
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Dan Gladden. Never got him but saw the bidding go well over double his 7 day.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Dan Gladden. Never got him but saw the bidding go well over double his 7 day.
Greg Gagne is totally worth it!

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I think gladden was the last card I got for SE johan santana

Its funny that it feels bad to spend 1000 on a 500 average iron card but the difference between 25000 and 27000 is basically nothing
Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Its funny that it feels bad to spend 1000 on a 500 average iron card but the difference between 25000 and 27000 is basically nothing
Old 10-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post

People value relative deals more than absolute.

Like I remember reading a thought experiment - if you're out shopping for a t-shirt, see one you like for 15 bucks, but as you go up to pay, you pal messages you and says the same shirt is half off for 7.50 at the mall across town. You're much more likely to pick up and grab it than if you were buying an iPhone for 1000$ and your friend says the one across town is on sale for 990.

But yeah, 25k vs 27k is a little more than a rounding error, but 500 vs 1000 is a principled stand that I won't pay the higher price.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #13
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post

There are other variables to factor in though, such as how likely it is to see the card at the price point you're demanding.

For example, I waited a very long time before finally acquiring bronze Bob Horner yesterday. Its not that I was against paying 150 points (which was about his last 7 iirc) or more. Its more that there are enough Horners already in circulation and also being pulled that I can afford to be patient. Waiting on Diamonds and other cards of similar rarities requires far more patience if you're inflexible on your price demands.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #14
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Biggest overpay is for a collection I STILL haven't completed

I paid 50k for Rollie Fingers (94) for my Energizer Bunnies to try to complete the Charlie O's A's mission, but still have a few gold cards to go before completing the mission. Those cards sometimes come up for auction but with crazily high prices that nobody will pay. For example: who's going to pay 15k for Reggie Jackson (82) which is four times its last seven-day price? Obviously, no one, so the person putting it up puts it up every 48 hours for same price over and over again.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #15
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
I paid 50k for Rollie Fingers (94) for my Energizer Bunnies to try to complete the Charlie O's A's mission, but still have a few gold cards to go before completing the mission. Those cards sometimes come up for auction but with crazily high prices that nobody will pay. For example: who's going to pay 15k for Reggie Jackson (82) which is four times its last seven-day price? Obviously, no one, so the person putting it up puts it up every 48 hours for same price over and over again.
Elemental Knight doesn’t care. He can wait you out.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #16
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
What's the difference if you overpay for the diamond or the gold?

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #17
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I'm also waiting on that Gold Reggie. It has sold for 15k twice in the last couple of weeks, so there's precedent. Assuming it's not all Elemental Knight doing these trades, the latest lister was just unlucky with his timing.

But anyway, I'm willing to be a little crazy but not that crazy for Reggie. If there's a reasonably priced one on the market it'll be a race to get it!
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #18
Mammoth_Mayhem
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
What's the difference if you overpay for the diamond or the gold?
Diamond may be usable at perfect, whereas the gold cards typically aren't (especially in this case regarding Rollie).
Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #19
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth_Mayhem View Post
Diamond may be usable at perfect, whereas the gold cards typically aren't (especially in this case regarding Rollie).
When I was going to complete the CWS missions, that's why I was more willing to overpay for the Shoeless Joe card rather than take one of the "cheaper" diamonds, since his bat can still play at higher levels. Or why I paid a little more for the Diamond Greinke card on the Royals mission rather than take one of the cheaper relievers.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #20
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth_Mayhem View Post
Even the diamonds come down in price after awhile. The Charlie O diamonds were 70K+ at the beginning, but are now down to around 30K or so.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote