Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Growing Baseball Redux

I'm not entirely sure where I should post this thread, but I think this is the right place to go. This universe is partially historical and partially fictional. There's a little bit of narrative to it as well. I ultimately decided that here would be the right place. If you don't think it is and I should go to fictional sims or Dynasty Reports, please let me know. I've posted in Dynasty Reports in the past, and I've never really gotten the human interaction I'm seeking. I love baseball and I love people. I want to talk with others. If you enjoy this thread, please leave your thoughts and opinions. I'd love to have a discussion.

I've always been fascinated with baseball in foreign countries. Baseball is a very international game. Look at all the players in MLB from Latin America. Look at how popular it is in Asia. The game is growing in popularity in Europe, and the Australian Baseball League finally seems stable. In fact, it expanded by two teams this season in real life. However, baseball is not soccer, and it might not even be basketball. Those two sports have a little bit more of a global imprint than baseball does. If baseball could do it over again, I think they would try to do a better job of spreading the game and making it more international.

That's where I come in.

This sim began in 1925. Admittedly, I've already played a couple of seasons. The first few posts will catch us up to where I'm currently at in the sim. Why 1925? That's the year Mexico created it's first professional league.

So this sim began in 1925 with historical MLB. I've added a six team professional Mexican League that loosely resembled real life. As I move forward in the sim, I'll add leagues in foreign countries at the same time they were created in real life. For instance, the first professional league in Australia was formed in 1934, and the Japanese league was formed in 1950. I will add leagues in those two countries in those years in the same fashion I did with Mexico, small leagues that are loosely based on real life.

The difference between my world and real life is these leagues will succeed. That's not to say some of these leagues won't have struggles along the way, but the fictional investors will keep leagues from folding as they did in real life. We may add leagues in other countries along the way as well. Countries that don't even have leagues in real life. However, all that's set in stone for now is the historical US, Mexico, Australia, and Japan.

The end goal is to develop a world that resembles soccer.

That is a long time in the future. Right now we're in 1925. Major League Baseball, the Negro League, the Pacific Coast League, the Texas League, and now the Mexican Baseball League are the only baseball leagues in the world.
gskweres9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
gskweres9
Major Leagues

1925 SEASON RECAP

Major League Baseball

1925 represented a period of change for Major League Baseball, as the Detroit Tigers and St. Louis Cardinals squared off in the World Series. The Tigers were looking to capture their first title in franchise history, and it was the first World Series appearance for the franchise since 1909, where they came up unsuccessful after winning the AL Pennant for the third time in a row. The Cardinals won their first ever NL Pennant to earn the right to square off with the Tigers.

The 96-58 Cardinals would take home the hardware, winning their first ever World Series and leaving Detroit cursed. St. Louis was led by 29-year-old second baseman Rogers Hornsby, who took home the NL Batting Title that year after hitting .390. He also blasted 25 homers and drove in 121 runs, good enough to win him the 1925 NL MVP Award. "Rajah" had plenty of help in the lineup. First baseman Jim Bottomley led the NL in homers and RBIs with 34 and 128 respectively. Catcher Lefty O'Doul batted 363 with 15 homers, and third baseman Les Bell batted .347 with 16 homers.

Name:  rogers_hornsby_1925_most_valuable_player_award copy.png
Views: 4424
Size:  99.2 KB

While the lineup was vaunted, the pitching was good enough. The rotation featured two twenty game winners, Bunny Hearn and and Bill Sherdel, who won 25 and 22 games respectively, but they didn't have too much help after them. Paired with that lineup, it was still enough to win the World Series.

Similar to the Cardinals, offense was the story for Detroit. Led by an aging Ty Cobb, the Tigers finished 90-65, outpacing the defending champion Washington Senators. Cobb was magnificent, batting .354 and collecting 220 hits at the age of 38. 220 hits wasn't enough to even lead his team, however, as fellow outfielder Harry Heilmann collected 222 hits on the year, batting .365. Heinie Manush, Lu Blue, and Johnny Bassler all batted well over .300 as well, giving the Tigers a scary lineup.

Name:  ty_cobb_1929_.png
Views: 516
Size:  104.6 KB

The rotation was led by Dutch Leonard, who won 19 games with a 3.95 ERA. Earl Whitehill was the only hurler on Detroit with an ERA better than Leonard at 3.61.

Despite winning the AL Pennant, no star on Detroit was good enough to bring home the AL MVP Award, which went to none other than New York Yankees outfielder Babe Ruth. Ruth won his second MVP Award in 1925 after bringing home his first in 1923. He earned the honors after winning the Triple Crown. He hit .385 with 42 homers and 133 RBIs. 37-year-old Walter Johnson brought home the AL Cy Young Award. "The Big Train" won the pitching triple crown after winning 25 games, striking out 173 hitters, and limiting his ERA to 2.65. During the year he also eclipsed 400 wins, joining Cy Young as the only pitchers in professional history with 400 or more wins.

Name:  babe_ruth_1925_most_valuable_player_award copy.png
Views: 3481
Size:  118.6 KBName:  walter_johnson_1925_cy_young_award copy.png
Views: 1171
Size:  118.2 KB

The NL Cy Young went to Brooklyn Robins starter Dazzy Vance. Dazzy won 23 games, struck out 234 hitters, and had an ERA of 2.67.

Name:  dazzy_vance_1925_cy_young_award copy.png
Views: 4207
Size:  102.9 KB

Liga Mexicana de Béisbol

The Mexican Baseball League kicked off it's first ever season in 1925, sporting a six-team league. The six teams were the Mexico City Diablos Rojos, Mexico City Conquistadors, Monterrey Industriales, Veracruz Azules, Puebla Pericos, and Aguascalientes Estrellas.

Veracruz set themselves apart in the early going, finishing 75-39, 14 games in front of the second place Monterrey Industriales, who they would defeat in Serie del Rey, "The King's Series."

Despite having the best team, it was Monterrey who owned the best player in Mexico in starting pitcher Omar Alvarado. Alvarado took home the Most Valuable Player and Pitcher of the Year Awards after going 20-11 with a 2.51 ERA and 98 strikeouts in 33 games started. He would pitch well in Serie del Rey as well, but it wasn't enough as Veracruz dispatched of the Industriales in six games.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
gskweres9
Major Leagues

1926 SEASON RECAP

If 1925 represented a short changing of the guard, 1926 represented a quick shift back to the status quo. The New York Giants won the NL Pennant again, adding onto their 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, and 1924 NL Pennants. They were seeking their fourth World Series in franchise history and first since 1922. Facing them would be another powerhouse in the early days of MLB, the Philadelphia Athletics. The Athletics won the AL in 1905, 1910, 1911, 1913, and 1914, defeating the Giants in 1911 and 1913, but losing to them in 1905. The familiar foes quarreled for six games, but Philadelphia's firepower was too much for New York.

You name it, the Athletics had it. The lineup was downright scary, as pitchers had to figure out how to navigate around Al Simmons, Paul Waner, Jimmy Dykes, and Mickey Cochrane. Simmons, Waner, and Dykes all hit .346 or better, while the 23-year-old Cochrane hit .293 behind the dish. Cochrane also had the pleasure of catching two 20 game winners in Lefty Grove, who was named the 1926 AL Cy Young Award winner, and "Sad Sam" Gray, who apparently wasn't happy despite winning 20 games. There was still a formidable opponent between the A's and the World Series, as the Giants stood in their way yet again. New York won 100 games of their own, and the names across the roster were just as storied.

Name:  lefty_grove_1926_cy_young_award copy.png
Views: 449
Size:  89.7 KB

The lineup was led by 27-year-old Frankie Frisch. Supporting him was Freddie Lindstrom, High Pockets Kelly, and Hack Wilson. 'Ol High Pockets had the lowest batting average of the fearsome foursome, batting .295. The true superstar of the 1926 New York Giants was starting pitcher "Fat Freddie" Fitzsimmons. Fitzsimmons brought home the NL Cy Young Award and the NL MVP Award after going 27-9 with a 2.13 ERA.

Name:  freddie_fitzsimmons_1926_most_valuable_player_award copy.png
Views: 3301
Size:  118.5 KB

The only award winner that didn't participate in the World Series was the New York Yankees 25-year-old first baseman Lou Gehrig, who won the AL MVP. Gehrig batted .382, launched a league leading 34 homers, and drove in 126 runs.

Name:  lou_gehrig_1926_most_valuable_player_award copy.png
Views: 3084
Size:  103.6 KB

Liga Mexicana de Béisbol

Year two of the Mexican Baseball League didn't look too different from year one, but there were some important milestones. Mired in a midseason slump, the Veracruz Azules were desperate to find talent to help them back to Serie del Rey. They turned their eye to the Negro League, purchasing 25-year-old outfielder Turkey Stearnes from the Detroit Stars. The purchase made Mexico the first fully integrated professional summer league in the world. Stearnes would play 60 games for Los Azules, hitting .282 with 13 HR and 57 RBIs, enough to catapult them into first place in the standings.

Name:  turkey_stearnes_1929_.png
Views: 472
Size:  111.5 KB

Veracruz wasn't able to bring home their second straight title, however, as they lost to the Monterrey Industriales in Serie del Rey in six games. Similar to the year prior, the champion didn't have the best player in the league, but rather the runner up, as Veracruz pitcher Carlos Galindo won the Most Valuable Player and Pitcher of the Year Awards after winning 19 games with a 1.91 ERA.

Name:  carlos_galindo_1926_pitcher_of_the_year_award copy.png
Views: 3458
Size:  105.4 KB
Old 01-31-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
splat58
Minors (Single A)

This stuff is great. Right now, I'm hooked on your Continental League. I think that is absolutely brilliant. Very creative and entertaining. I've been reading it while at work & getting annoyed when someone interrupts me with work related stuff.

If you're not already, you should be a publishing writer of stories or something.
splat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat58 View Post
This stuff is great. Right now, I'm hooked on your Continental League. I think that is absolutely brilliant. Very creative and entertaining. I've been reading it while at work & getting annoyed when someone interrupts me with work related stuff.

If you're not already, you should be a publishing writer of stories or something.
Wow thank you. That means a lot. I haven't played my Continental League in a long time. I got a little burned out, but I still have it saved. I'm sure I'll jump back in it one day.

I'm actually in college, so I don't have a profession yet. Luckily, my baseball career is still active, so the primary plan is to keep playing as long as possible. Plan B is to work in a baseball front office and see if I can work my way up the ladder and become a GM. Plan C is to actually use my sports journalism major and become a sports radio host and sports writer.

Thank you again for the kind words!
Old 02-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
gskweres9
Major Leagues

1927 Season Recap

Major League Baseball

It was the Athletics and Giants at the finish line again in 1927 as the two franchises began to set themselves apart from the rest of MLB, becoming baseball royalty. The Athletics earned the AL Pennant after going 95-59. It was a similar story to 1926, as they were led by a potent offense. The A's had seven position players play all 154 games, and five of the seven had batting averages above .315. There was also a new star on the block in Philly, as 19-year-old Jimmie Foxx made his major league debut. He appeared in 92 games, batting .350 with seven homers and 35 RBI's.

Lefty Grove wasn't just the Athletics premiere arm, he was the premiere arm of the American League, going 21-9 and taking home his second consecutive Cy Young Award.

The New York Giants had one of the most dominating season in baseball history, winning 113 games. The 113 wins is the second most all-time in baseball history, behind the 116 games the Chicago Cubs won in 1908.

Like Philly, the Giants were led by lots of familiar faces, like Frankie Frisch, High Pockets Kelly, Freddie Lindstrom, Hack Wilson, and Travis Jackson, but they had a superstar rookie hitter as well. 18-year-old outfielder Mel Ott burst onto the scene with a .348 average, 16 homers, and 81 RBIs in 142 games played.

On the mound, the 1927 Giants were led by Jakie May. May went 27-3 with a 1.74 ERA. Despite the gaudy numbers, May wouldn't bring home the Cy Young Award, as the writers elected to give it to Dazzy Vance instead. Vance went 22-10 with a 1.77 ERA, striking out a league leading 217 batters. The A's ultimately bested the Giants, winning the World Series in seven games.

Lou Gehrig and Rogers Hornsby took home the AL and NL MVP Awards.

Name:  lou_gehrig_1927_most_valuable_player_award copy.png
Views: 2635
Size:  114.2 KBName:  rogers_hornsby_1927_most_valuable_player_award copy.png
Views: 4240
Size:  123.8 KB

Liga Mexicana de Béisbol

It would be Veracruz and Monterrey for the third straight season in Serie del Rey. After Veracruz won in 1925 and Monterrey won in 1926, it would serve as a rubber match of sorts. Veracruz was led by former Negro League superstar Turkey Stearnes, who hit .283 with 23 homers and 13 stolen bases. Shortstop Manny Guzman also had an impressive season at the plate, batting .316.

Veracruz's best player, however, was starting pitcher Jose Villasenor. Villasenor took home the Most Valuable Player and Pitcher of the Year Awards after going 21-5 with a 1.79 ERA. Veracruz would win Serie del Rey in six games.

Name:  jose_villasenor_1927_pitcher_of_the_year_award copy.png
Views: 314
Size:  104.5 KB

While it was the same two teams participating in the championship series, there was a new team in LMB in 1927. Following two seasons where they were dead last in attendance, the Mexico City Diabols Rojos folded. They were replaced by the Tampico Alijadores for the 1927 season.

Last edited by gskweres9; 02-03-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
gskweres9
Major Leagues

1928 SEASON RECAP

Major League Baseball:

1928 was a new year, but it was the same story, as the Philadelphia Athletics and New York Giants squared off in the World Series for the third straight year. The Athletics would also top the Giants, becoming the first Major League franchise to ever three-peat as champions.

The A's were dominant in 1928, winning 109 games. Familiar faces powered Philly. Lefty Grove went 25-8 with a 2.36 ERA and 214 K's, good enough to take home his third straight Cy Young and pitching triple crown. Maybe it needs to be renamed the Lefty Grove Award. Sam Gray and George Enshaw each won 20+ games as well. The equally powerful offense was led by 20-year-old Jimmie Foxx. Foxx hit .366 with 32 homers and 108 RBIs. Mickey Cochrane, Bing Miller, Jimmy Dykes, Paul Waner, and Al Simmons all hit .324 or better.

While Foxx's season would've been more than enough to win the MVP most years, 1928 wasn't most years. Lou Gehrig batted .403 with 34 homers, 53 doubles, and 118 RBI's, taking home the AL MVP Award.

Name:  lou_gehrig_1928_most_valuable_player_award copy.png
Views: 2858
Size:  116.9 KB

The NL Award winners were, yet again, Rogers Hornsby and Dazzy Vance. Hornsby batted .386 with 31 homers and 116 RBI's for the St. Louis Cardinals. Vance would go 23-11 with a 2.63 ERA and 188 strikeouts.

1928 would see a trio of stars leave MLB. Ty Cobb, who was traded to the Chicago Cubs prior to the start of the 1928 season, played his final season of professional baseball. Cobb desperately wanted to reach 4,000 hits, and there wasn't an obvious path to playing time with the Tigers, so they granted his wish and found him a team where he could play. Cobb would rack up 106 hits in 112 games, giving him 4,044 career hits, the most in Major League Baseball history.

Tris Speaker also wrapped up his baseball career following the 1928 season. Speaker played in all 154 games, but he hit under .300 for the first time since 1908, when he was a rookie with the Boston Red Sox. Speaker finished his career with 3,758 hits, second most in league history behind Cobb. His 772 doubles are most in league history.

Finally, Eddie Collins Sr. retired in 1928. "Cocky" finishes his career third in history in hits, racking up 3,501 hits as a member of the Philadelphia Athletics and Chicago White Sox.

La Liga Mexicana de Béisbol:

Veracruz and Monterrey squared off in the World Series yet again, with Veracruz winning their third title in four years, besting Monterrey in seven games. Turkey Stearnes slugged a Mexican League record 34 homers. He also drove in 119 runs. The LMB MVP wouldn't go to Stearnes, but Monterrey 2B Cesar Vasquez. Vasquez batted .386 with 13 homers, 92 RBIs, and a league-leading 36 steals. Veracruz starter Jose Villasenor took home his second straight Pitcher of the Year Award, going 19-7 with a 2.57 ERA.