Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
airmaq79
Bat Boy

How can i make my league file smaller?

Every year I seem to run into the same issue- I get far into my league and the file just gets too big and the game will start to crash on me. Note- if I start a new league, I do not have the crashing issue- so my OOTP game itself is not corrupted. I sent my league to a dev last year, and he told me that there was no issue with my league file- but the file was fairly large- which could be the issue. So now I am experiencing the same issue again. So now the question is- what may I be able to do to make the league file smaller? I know there's an option somewhere where I can delete players that never made it to the majors- but would that only start from this point forward and all of the previous players will stay? As far as leagues, I only have the MLB and the minor league affiliates as well as the US Independent Leagues. I do not want to delete team records or league records. So the question is, what are my options here? Any feedback would be appreciated. I hate having to start new leagues simply because my old ones do not function anymore.
airmaq79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

there is the purge file option.

i don't make cards. i don't keep a lot of things that i won't use regularly. i also have the option to delete players that never made the majors. You might consider this when (if) you need to make a new league, or you get your file size reduced.

if you use the purge feature, read the caveat on that page carefully. i used it recently, and as it says, my retired numbers players ID was altered. Not a big deal to me as i seldom if ever checked that, and i could use search to find the correct player. But it does alter things. So be warned. It also does cut down on the size of your file. i did mine very early (10 or so years into my league), sort as an experiment, so my files weren't very large to begin with..... an idea anyway.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
airmaq79
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaus2 View Post

says i do not have permission to view this file.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
airmaq79
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
there is the purge file option.

i don't make cards. i don't keep a lot of things that i won't use regularly. i also have the option to delete players that never made the majors. You might consider this when (if) you need to make a new league, or you get your file size reduced.

if you use the purge feature, read the caveat on that page carefully. i used it recently, and as it says, my retired numbers players ID was altered. Not a big deal to me as i seldom if ever checked that, and i could use search to find the correct player. But it does alter things. So be warned. It also does cut down on the size of your file. i did mine very early (10 or so years into my league), sort as an experiment, so my files weren't very large to begin with..... an idea anyway.

I dont make player cards either. i will also click the box about deleting players that do not make the majors. hopefully that'll make a difference although i fear that it won't delete the guys that already retired. i will have to look into the purge option, thank you.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Delete whatever images you can. When i create a quickstart, the inital file might be 600 MB. After I delete the player and team images I can cut that in half.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmaq79 View Post
I dont make player cards either. i will also click the box about deleting players that do not make the majors. hopefully that'll make a difference although i fear that it won't delete the guys that already retired. i will have to look into the purge option, thank you.

it's time consuming, but you could go through your retired players, filter those with "0" years ML experience, and manually delete them. i did that recently .... before i was just retiring players off my free agent list that were 30 + and no major league experience. (Now i delete them). Took me about 20 hours total to go through them all. IF you've got time and patience, i'd do that before a purge. Good luck.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen

Old 10-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

I have turned stats down to "low" detail, and I turned off postseason and all-star games for minor leagues. Plus the other things mentioned, no baseball cards, no pictures for lower levels, etc. I also prune terrible free agents once every couple of years.

Right now I'm running an 80-team major league with 4 levels of minors, an independent league of 8 teams, and multiple international leagues all linked up with an association tournament. For some reason it crashes now when I try to look at the league association but I can still play it.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:28 AM   #9
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
it's time consuming, but you could go through your retired players, filter those with "0" years ML experience, and manually delete them. i did that recently .... before i was just retiring players off my free agent list that were 30 + and no major league experience. (Now i delete them). Took me about 20 hours total to go through them all. IF you've got time and patience, i'd do that before a purge. Good luck.
Did you check file size before and after this investment of time? I'm curious how much this helped.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:45 AM   #10
edm
All Star Starter

Quote:
I know there's an option somewhere where I can delete players that never made it to the majors- but would that only start from this point forward and all of the previous players will stay?
When you click this option the prompt says it will delete all retired minor league players, so I believe it will delete previous players as well.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:43 AM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

goto global settings, players and face gen, and the data base purge thing.

if you don't read news articles turn it off... if you don't want game logs forever, turn it off or down, etc.. turn off baseball cards, pictures, whatever.

delete players that don't make mlb -> a checkbox in settings. then you don't have to do it by hand. the space won't be realized until you purge deleted records. if you do it by hand, becareful. i'd sort by hitters / pitchers then use PA and IP or whatever is the most basic thing to show they played in the majors or not or not. shouldn't take hours to do, but i'd strongly suggest letting the game handle it with that little checkbox option (players and face gen? maybe? or global settings).

how much does each thing help? well that depends on previous settings. news messages take up a ton of space within 5-10 years.

since your having issues, use a freshly restored version of your league to test.

i'd try things mostly one-by-one. except teh news logs /injuries / transaction logs / box scores stuff.... that stuff won't "reset" until jan 1, i believe, so you may not see anythign happen at first.... sim out and see if that is enough to fix it. (e.g. if it was keep all or 10 years and you went down to 2 years, the extra 8 years of data stays there until a certain point of the year - likely jan 1)

Last edited by NoOne; 10-05-2016 at 02:45 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:55 AM   #12
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Not a fan of the Purge. It messed up how many historical record are shown. Player A pitched a no hitter in 2012 while playing for %^$# No longer shows the team.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #13
sprague
All Star Starter

If you don't want to purge...my best suggestion is to get rid of the clutter in the saved game folder.

Be sure you are rid of all baseball cards,except the ones you most want...or you can save them all to a file on your computer of course.
Same goes with things like boxscores, recaps, replays and what not.

That is my first step if they are on and it tends to get the game running a little bit better.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #14
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Did you check file size before and after this investment of time? I'm curious how much this helped.
no i didn't really make a note of how much it helped. i just decided to go through and get rid of them and knew it had to help some. Sorry.