Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
aborelli24
Bat Boy

How Many players is a team allowed to keep in an expansion draft?

Im thinking about starting an expansion team but im not sure how many players each team is allowed to keep and have not be eligible for the expansion draft. Anyone know?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aborelli24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

It's whatever you set the option to be. Default is 35 IIRC.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
injury log
Hall Of Famer

You have complete control over that when you set up the Expansion Draft, lots of options, so you can make as many or as few players available as you like.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
aborelli24
Bat Boy

Thanks but does anyone know what it is in real life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aborelli24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Here is what it was back in 1997:

Similar to the 1992 expansion draft, both expansion teams selected 35 players. The draft was divided into three rounds. Each team would select 14 players in round 1, 14 players in round 2, and 7 players in round 3. Tampa Bay general manager Chuck LaMar and Arizona general manager Joe Garagiola, Jr. oversaw their teams' selections.

The Devil Rays and Diamondbacks could pick any player not on the protected lists of the 28 other teams, although no team could lose more than one player in a given round. The protected list for each team consisted of:

For the first round, 15 players from the rosters of their entire organization—both their 40-man roster, plus all minor league affiliates.

Each team could add three more players to its protected list after each round.

In addition to the above, players chosen in the 1996 and 1997 amateur drafts were automatically protected, plus players who were 18 or younger when signed in 1995.

Players who were free agents after the end of the 1997 season need not be protected.

As with the 1992 expansion draft, the order was determined by a coin toss. The winner of the toss could choose either: (a) The first overall pick in the expansion draft or (b) allow the other team to pick first and receive both the second and third overall expansion draft picks and the right to pick first in the subsequent rounds of the expansion draft. Tampa Bay won the toss and chose to select first.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Note that OOTP doesn't allow progressive protection, so 17 is probably a good number for equivalent team strength.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:37 AM   #7
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I use 18 to simulate that. If you think that in a perfect world, the expansion team would take the 16th, 20th and 24th best players in an organisation for expansion. That "averages" to three 20th-best players.

I know what you're thinking - to get an average of three 20th-best players, you'd need to take the 19th, 20thand 21st best players, which also averages out to 20. And you'd be right, except for two things:

1. Not every team lost three players. This caused the distribution to go upwards.

2. The world isn't perfect.

Call it a little brute-force calculating. I've done a ton of sims with it and I'm happy with the results. I get expansion teams that make the playoffs in three years, win the World Series in six, and go 15+ years without even sniffing the postseason. Just like real life.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb

Last edited by BigRed75; 08-08-2016 at 05:39 AM.
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote