Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 03-31-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Nighthawk42
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Question Pitch-by-Pitch?

I'm sure that this question has already been addressed somewhere in the forums, but a quick search didn't find an answer, so....

Does OOTP6 have pitch-by-pitch gameplay, or is it even scheduled as an 'update' for OOTP6?

I've purchased OOTP religiously since 3 and am still waiting for it... I can't truly continue to support the game with my dollars until this feature is available. Playing out games without it means that in-game strategy is very non-realistic.

Nathaniel Gibson
Nighthawk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

No it does not, sorry.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:07 PM   #3
Nighthawk42
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Then I'll keep my baseball game dollars in my wallet for this year, and hope that it comes next year. I enjoy the game greatly, and like to play out the games as opposed to simming them. OOTP is as close as I've found to a 'manager' sim (team manager, not GM) for baseball.

I'll continue to play OOTP5 while I wait! :-)

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve.

Nathaniel
Old 03-31-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
JPWagner
Minors (Triple A)

I tell you, I still have not read any posts here that has convinced me that pitch by pitch is such a big deal in a sim game such as OOTP....there are enough options available to you to still make decisions each at bat, and perhaps these can be expanded...but to have the game become a "click fest" would become quite tedious when you are playing out multi seasons....as long as it is an option, which I can disable, then there actually would be no problem having it as part of the game, but I hope it never takes over as the primary method of gameplay....and to ignore the new features of OOTP6 which will make the game even closer to simming the actual MLB, and not buy the game because pitch by pitch is not part of it, will definately be your lose......

Last edited by JPWagner; 03-31-2004 at 08:26 PM.
JPWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Pitch by pitch would be my nightmare! If that is ever implemented I hope it's just an option.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:02 PM   #6
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar
Pitch by pitch would be my nightmare! If that is ever implemented I hope it's just an option.
It most certainly would be.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:19 PM   #7
JPWagner
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Kuffrey
It most certainly would be.
That is good news, and so I will no longer debate the issue as it will be an option I will simply ignore........
Old 03-31-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
Nighthawk42
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I didn't mean to say that the in-game play would have to be pitch-by-pitch and nothing else. I am aware that I'm in a fairly small minority when it comes to wanting this feature implemented. Having it as an option that can be disabled would be the only sensible way to do it.

The thing that bothers me most is the implementation of base running and stealing. Having to decide at the beginning of the at-bat whether to hit and run or steal on an 0-0 count is silly (IMHO).
There's alot of strategy (from a managing perspective) that goes on within an at-bat, and having that 'simulated away' takes alot of that strategy away.

I'm aware that OOTP isn't designed to be a managerial sim (team, not GM) per se, and I'm aware that there are other baseball sims out there that do pitch-by-pitch, but none of them play nearly as well as OOTP, so switching programs isn't really an option for me either. In my opinion, this is one of the few weaknesses of OOTP (the other being statistical accuracy, which I see should be improved in 6).

For now, I find that OOTP5 is playable enough for me that I'm willing to wait.

Thanks for letting me vent my 2c.

Nathaniel
Old 03-31-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
mauboy
Hall Of Famer

For those of you who have played ITP would have an idea of what the new hitting system will look like for the most part.

There's 'Swing for the fences', 'hit it the other way', 'make contact', 'hit a flyball', etc. I can look for more if anybody needs me too, but I was just naming them off the top of my head for now. Anyways, g'night.
mauboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:42 AM   #10
JsnMthw
Bat Boy

If pitch-by-pitch is ever made available, it would be nice to be able to turn on/off during the games themselves. As has been mentioned, the click-fest would get annoying if the option stayed on all game, and the only times I've really wanted to have been able to go pitch by pitch have been late in close games.
JsnMthw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:50 AM   #11
mauboy
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think it would be absolutely horrendous to have pitch by pitch. All the action is, in the action! The action isn't STRIKE one, BALL one. The action is, there's a groundball to first. Yeah, it would be nice to have an option to swing away on 3-0 or not. Maybe there could be strategy for every player.....Swing on 3-0 10% of the time when you're down by two runs, etc.
mauboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:28 AM   #12
sonicky
Minors (Rookie Ball)

pitch by pitch mode is hurting my fingers by just thinking about it :/
sonicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:15 AM   #13
edm
All Star Starter

I'd love to have pitch by pitch, but definitely as an option only. Once the novelty of it wore off, I'd probably play most of my games in one pitch mode. But having the option for big games, like the playoffs. world series, or pennant race games, would be great.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote