Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Cadieux39
Minors (Single A)

Post Season Sorrows

Hi Everyone, looking for comments and opinions on your post season championships and sorrows.

I let the A.i manage my roster, (outside of me drafting, trading, signing players) The A.i. manages my lineups. I just simulate my games and look at the box score after to see what type of result i got.

Now, onto my post season sorrows! haha.

In 17 years of my fictional league. My Montreal club has made the playoffs 14 times. The most of all teams in the league. New York have been in 12 times, Los Angeles, San Fransisco and Houston have been in the playoffs 10 times each. On the opposite end Detroit and Chicago made 3 appearances, and Oklahoma city only 1 playoff showing.

In 17 years, 14 playoffs, I have won the Championship 2 times.

In fact in the 20 team league. No club has won more than 2 championships in 17 years. New York, Minnesota and Houston have 2. 9 other teams have won 1 championship... Including Detroit and Chicago.

The championships have been remarkably balanced, considering the playoff dominance of a few teams. As a side note 8 teams make the playoffs out of 20.

I've had the same manager for 17 years, maybe thats the problem... Either way 14 years in the playoffs, only 3 years i've made it to the finals and 2 championships to show for it... Its a little frustrating.

Just thought i'd share my experience, anyone else have similar disappointments, or outstanding success?
Cadieux39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Yes that's quite common I'm afraid. I had two 100+ win teams in back to back seasons and both times they didn't make it out of the division playoffs. My 3 championships have come from good but not great teams that got hot during their playoff run. Playoffs suck. And wait until you build a team and then finally leave them and you get to watch them take the whole thing the next year using players you got for them. That's fun.

Last edited by andyhdz; 05-05-2017 at 01:59 PM.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
redranger
All Star Reserve

Atlanta Braves in the 90's and 00's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Here is an old thread showing that angst about the playoffs is always around.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...t+win+playoffs

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

You guys realize that the Playoffs are a complete crap shoot and the best team rarely ever wins? Just because you are the best team in the league doesn't mean you win automatically.

Every team has a bad stretch of games. Hell the Cubs had three stretches where they lost 3 or more in a row. What's stopping from that kind of luck from happening in the playoffs. If the Cubs had their July 5-9th scheudle in the NLCS they would have been out of the playoffs by game three and still have two loses in the bank.

Of course it is a stretch comparison, but having the best team doesn't auto-make you the WS champs, it helps sure, but it isn't an auto thing. Many great teams have bad stretches.

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
thriller13
Minors (Single A)

8 teams make the playoffs. So assuming no wildcards or byes, a random team has a one in eight chance of winning it all. Your team is 2 for 14 or one out of 7 so you are doing better than the average playoff team.
thriller13 is offline   Reply With Quote