Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #181
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
That's another fact!
And don't you try to dispute it, Neither!

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #182
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
And don't you try to dispute it, Neither!

Well I'll dispute it if I want to!

Fact: Several reasons to shower at night:
1. It saves time in the morning.
2. Night showers are relaxing
3. Showering at night makes you 58% more outgoing and popular
4. Showering at night allows you to say, “I shower at night,” without being a straight-up liar
5. Because your body is clean as a whistle when you sleep, your sheets will never need to be washed. Never!
6. In the morning, everyone is trying to get into the bathroom, and you’ll be running late, so you will be rushed
7. Man who showers at night does not go to bed with itchy butt - thus no waking up with stinky finger!

Last edited by Bowtie; 02-28-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #183
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
The best way to play fictional leagues(and have it stay interesting) is never play the exact same league twice. Always add expansion teams or move teams to another conference.

a.)Take 5 players from the best team and put them on the worst team.
b.)Edit the schedule on a daily basis. Schedule double-headers .
c.)Add games to the beginning and ending of the season. Keeping the same 162 game or whatever amount of games are played.
d.)Schedule games on the off days between the all-star game.
e.)Have a team start the regular season or end of the regular season with 5 straight double-headers.
f.)import MLB seasons from the past and add the players into the mix of a modern fictional league
There is nothing there that interests me in the least. Must be why I don't play fictional.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #184
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

If I don't shower in the morning, my hair is a mess the entire day.

"Hair" might not be precise. It's like barbed wire.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #185
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
There is nothing there that interests me in the least. Must be why I don't play fictional.
None of those things interest me, either, but i love fictional

*shrugs* different strokes for different folks, etc, etc

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #186
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Before we close this, I'd like to point out one other issue with the methodology here:

Games created from altered versions of the default Majors quickstart aren't being counted as modern MLB. I play primarily Majors-based setups, but almost never create them from the base quickstart.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #187
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
If I don't shower in the morning, my hair is a mess the entire day.

"Hair" might not be precise. It's like barbed wire.
Westie, if I ever get to Germany, I'm sharing a Warsteiner with you. I bet you'd provide an incredibly interesting night of conversation.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #188
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaddict View Post
So what we have learned from this thread is 65% of the people play OOTP incorrectly?
It will get boring fast if you play with a standard MLB setup managing just one team. We are the Silicon Valley of OOTP.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #189
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
I have not read this whole thread, so maybe this has already been said....

I would bet everything I own that fictional players put in more hours at OOTP than MLB quickstart players, and that it is not even close. I know that I have to make up for at least 50-100 Quickstarters all by my self.

Also, a lot of fictional players are not starting new games but playing the same game for years. Quickstarters are simming through seasons in a hurry to see how long it takes them to get rid of all the real players.

But more importantly, I think the Quickstarters are, by and large the casual player, who will not decide which baseball game is the best, but will try to find out which baseball game is best and go buy that one. The hardcore players are the ones who will decide which game is best and will take the casual gamers with them, eventually, wherever they end up.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #190
Benchmark
Minors (Single A)

I know I create 15 Historical Games just to setup a MLB Game. I create my own rosters so this would skew this data tremendously.

This is why Markus and company should be focusing on the MLB users because after 17 versions, most of the Diehard users have already purchased OOTP and there maybe a handful left out there. Meanwhile, the potential for the Mainstream user to come to OOTP is a lot more profitable than focusing on the Diehards.

The things they need to focus on are rosters, Historical Minor League Importer and the most unfavorable one of them all graphics.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #191
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

There is fallacy in your argument.....the diehard users purchase a new game every year......and if someone else makes a better game for them, they will stop and before too long, the first-time purchasers will be not be seeing that OOTP is the highest rated game and they will buy the game the diehard users have found to be better.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #192
Benchmark
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
There is fallacy in your argument.....the diehard users purchase a new game every year......and if someone else makes a better game for them, they will stop and before too long, the first-time purchasers will be not be seeing that OOTP is the highest rated game and they will buy the game the diehard users have found to be better.

WOW, how conceded is that of a statement.

Just so you know, there are more OOTP Buyers that don't play the same way the Diehards on here play. So how is it that after 17 versions of the Diehards loving this game that the Rest of us will buy this game because of the Diehard users? After 17 versions, all the "Diehard" users have either decided to buy this game or not. The rest of us are probably MLB users that are buying it because Markus is moving that direction more(10 times more Buyers). Not because of the Diehards who would play it for a completely different reason. The only reason that there is not a lot of MLB posters on here is that the Diehards run them off all the time with their postings. If they actually showed up and over ran this board you would be in the minority. Basically for Markus to expand his market and make $$ is for him to move closer to the MLB the Show. Not that OOTP needs to be a fully graphic comparison, but moving closer get him the money. As Jerry McGuire says it's about "SHOW ME THE MONEY".
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #193
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

I concede nothing.....
Old 08-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #194
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
I concede nothing.....
:collecting coins: Aha! I predicted that one!
Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #195
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
:collecting coins: Aha! I predicted that one!
How 'bout this one....also, if 10 billion flamingos join the boards, avian posters will be in the majority......
Old 08-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #196
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Technically, my current save (and the one I plan on keeping for a good long time) is an MLB Quickstart, because I used that as the base. But it's already gone fictional because I'm changing teams around, expanding, etc. In six years of game play in will look very different to the majors and minors setup that currently exists. So while I consider it to be fictional, I fear the usage data has it down as a quickstart.

Not saying that there are a lot of people out there in the same situation (that would be conceded), but I wonder how much of the data is skewed that way - people who use the MLB quickstart or a historical season as the base for their fictional universe.

Probably a small sample, but it is a thing to consider, if we're still considering this stuff...

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #197
Qrusher14242
All Star Starter

I usually do a MLB league but end up going back to Historical. I'm not surprised at the numbers but by just playing a Modern League seems like limiting yourself imo.

But i imagine some people just want to play an MLB league and hey if that gets more people to buy and experience OOTP thats great. The more people that play the better.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #198
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I would say that most who use MLB QuickStart aren't necessarily casual. What they want and expect, is an extremely detailed and deep representation of modern day baseball. They don't care about historical leagues, or any of the options associated with historical play.

What they want, is basically something you'd use for a General Manager in training, in the year 2016.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #199
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Personally, I prefer already operating within the rich history of the real world MLB, but enjoy getting myself immersed into my future fictional players. I have League Evolution on and am fine with changes over time (more teams, teams moving, etc.), but I just care more when I'm working with the Red Sox franchise at Fenway Park than I am in a purely fictional world. I'm just not that imaginative, all my sights and sounds of the game are with real MLB teams in real MLB parks, and that's what amps me up.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #200
Cadieux39
Minors (Single A)

I play a fictional historical game. In ootp 15 i have more than 200 hours, which i assume means I'm a chump compared to others haha.

Im a little surprised by the numbers, but at the same time i had friends who were not interested in getting an OOTP game unless it had real players teams and logos...

My game is a baseball league started in 1946, in north america, all fictional players. Fictional teams.

I'm going to assume those who play fictional and historical games, are people who are highly imaginative, create their own story lines, worlds. They lose themselves in their baseball universe. The majority who play modern are the baseball wiz's looking to build the perfect team with Bautista, Harper, Hosmer, Posey, Donaldson. People with deep seeded love for a specific team.

Maybe I prefer fictional games because I live in a city where independent baseball is the highest level around. I have no pro baseball allegiance.

Keep on baseball'ing friends.
Cadieux39 is offline   Reply With Quote