Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #41
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
They are there in their proper proportions. Lefty is a new addition this year. In the past I have kept it out of the lists since there is no guarantee that a left-handed player will be the only recipient of the name. However, since it was such a common moniker, I decided to include it this year. I just plan to change any righties to southpaws that end up with it. If this is not your preferred solution, you can easily delete the name from the lists before starting up a league.

P.S. Rube is in the lists, but it actually was not very common before the turn of the century.
Understood, will you be looking at doing a 1920 set? Johnny, Rube, Sammie, Babe, Jimmy, Sparky, Vic, Duke, Earl, Bobby,Billy Guy, Art, Leo,Mickey would be big then

and thank you again for all your hard work on this...I am so hesitant to use this as I know I'll screw it up, but I will give it a go, my 1995 Dynasty is good except I have Black players with the name Bryce...that irritates me lol

Last edited by Carlton; 04-19-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #42
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
I've tried to make the instructions as clear as possible, but if you have any questions I am happy to help.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #43
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've tried to make the instructions as clear as possible, but if you have any questions I am happy to help.
Okay, you're slowly reeling me in. I read through the instructions quickly. Do I have this right? If I want to use your nameset for 2000 (I assume that's 2000 to present) I replace the database file, but I MUST also replace the ethnicities file and the world_default.xml?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #44
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Okay, you're slowly reeling me in. I read through the instructions quickly. Do I have this right? If I want to use your nameset for 2000 (I assume that's 2000 to present) I replace the database file, but I MUST also replace the ethnicities file and the world_default.xml?
The files you have to replace are first_names.txt, names.txt, ethnicities.txt and world-default.xml. nick_names.txt is optional, use it if you want to get rid of the nick names in OOTP.

If you read the instructions slowly, I explain it step by step about as completely as is possible....

If you really don't like my world_default.xml file (it gets rid of all countries that no real ball player ever came from), you can use another, but it must be edited to work correctly. If you email me a copy of the world_default you want to use, I will make the necessary edits. My file has the plus that it uses less memory than the default one.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #45
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
Understood, will you be looking at doing a 1920 set? Johnny, Rube, Sammie, Babe, Jimmy, Sparky, Vic, Duke, Earl, Bobby,Billy Guy, Art, Leo,Mickey would be big then

and thank you again for all your hard work on this...I am so hesitant to use this as I know I'll screw it up, but I will give it a go, my 1995 Dynasty is good except I have Black players with the name Bryce...that irritates me lol
Someday I plan to have a file for each decade from 1900 to 2010. But no new files will be coming soon.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #46
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The files you have to replace are first_names.txt, names.txt, ethnicities.txt and world-default.xml. nick_names.txt is optional, use it if you want to get rid of the nick names in OOTP.

If you read the instructions slowly, I explain it step by step about as completely as is possible....

If you really don't like my world_default.xml file (it gets rid of all countries that no real ball player ever came from), you can use another, but it must be edited to work correctly. If you email me a copy of the world_default you want to use, I will make the necessary edits. My file has the plus that it uses less memory than the default one.
Well I did say I read it quickly. And as it turns out, yes, I had it right.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #47
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Well I did say I read it quickly. And as it turns out, yes, I had it right.
Well, in my defense, 'database file' was a bit of a vague term so I wanted to spell it out exactly to avoid confusion.....

No offense, intended.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #48
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

You don't happen to have Perfingdinger in your modern set do you? We are very proud of our heritage and I would whole-heartedly expect it to be included.

Really though...thanks for doing this. I am definitely going to use it this year.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #49
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
You don't happen to have Perfingdinger in your modern set do you? We are very proud of our heritage and I would whole-heartedly expect it to be included.

Really though...thanks for doing this. I am definitely going to use it this year.
Even when I tell you there are no Perfingdingers?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #50
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The readme is VERY thorough, thank you

Reading it thrice just to be sure

and I am sure I can add the names I need, if I pull this into excel and then save back as text, correct?

I did injuries so it should be the same...somewhat

Last edited by Carlton; 04-19-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #51
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The readme is VERY thorough, thank you

Reading it thrice just to be sure

and I am sure I can add the names I need, if I pull this into excel and then save back as text, correct?

I did injuries so it should be the same...somewhat
yes, though this file is easier to edit in a text editor if you are just adding a few names (it's pretty long).
Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #52
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Just a heads up for everyone using my names files:

Whenever you install a patch for OOTP, these files will be overwritten with the default files, so you will have to reinstall my files if you want to keep using them.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #53
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Follow Quest's readme, it is so precise, I wish he'd were hired to re-write the game manual

You can't screw this up

One question, is there ANY way I can create a specific nationality FA?
I thought I did so in past versions, but I have have manually changed their names and country
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #54
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One question, is there ANY way I can create a specific nationality FA?
I thought I did so in past versions, but I have have manually changed their names and country
I'll PT it and see if Markus will add a drop down menu to select a country.

As it is now, the game uses the Default Player Origin percentages to select the country, so if you set this to 100% from a certain country you will get only players from there.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #55
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
yes, though this file is easier to edit in a text editor if you are just adding a few names (it's pretty long).
The way I get around this is, I create two additional folders under database: one that holds all the original text files, and one that holds my modified text files. The second one is usually the same as my active database files, but when I am reinstalling the game or a patch, I copy my active database files to the modified files folder. Then, after the reinstall is complete, I copy the modified folder files over the active files for the new install.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #56
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

How would I go about changing the African nation to use Unique Cuban names and use that for an alternative to the hispanic names like how you separated names for caucasian and black players?
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #57
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
How would I go about changing the African nation to use Unique Cuban names and use that for an alternative to the hispanic names like how you separated names for caucasian and black players?
First make a list of your Cuban names formatted like the African names in a text editor like Notepad.

Adams,1,19
Johnson,10,19
Smith,100,19

Where the first number is the relative frequency that the name should be chosen and the last number is the ethnicity set to which it belongs. 19 is the African set. Copy your new names and paste them over the African names in the names.txt file. Or delete all the names in the names.txt file that end in 19 and paste your names between the ones that end in 18 and the ones that end in 20. If you also have first names, then do the same thing for the first_names.txt file. If you do not have first names, let me know and I will make you a copy of the Hispanic names that should be pasted over the African first names.

Then edit the African entry in the ethnicities.txt file.

19,African,1000,0,0,0,0,

Change it to something like

19,Cuban,750,0,0,50,200

The first number (19) is the set, the next 5 numbers (750,0,0,50,200) are for the facegen skin color. The 5 numbers should add up to 1000 exactly. The first of the five is for the African skin, the next is for Asian, then East-Indian, then Caucasian, and the last is for Hispanic. So with my example, 75% of Cubans will have the African skin, 20% will have the Hispanic skin and 5% will have the Caucasian skin.

Then edit the Cuba entry in the world_default.xml.

<NATION id="49" name="Cuba" pop="11239363" lid="1" capid="31031" gender="0" bbqual="5" abbr="CUB" dem="Cuban" time_zone="-5" observes_dst="1">
<ETHNICITIES>
<ETHNICITY lid="1" pct="100" />
</ETHNICITIES>

Change the two lid="1" entries to lid="19"

If your list is a bit on the short side and you want some of the Cubans to still be named from the Hispanic nameset to avoid too much repetition you could add a line in the world_default.xml like this:

<ETHNICITIES>
<ETHNICITY lid="1" pct="50" />
<ETHNICITY lid="19" pct="50" />
</ETHNICITIES>

With this example, half of the Cubans would have regular Hispanic names and half would have your new Cuban names.

And that should do it. If it is for a game already started make sure to re-import everything.

Last edited by Questdog; 04-25-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:02 AM   #58
jtb
All Star Reserve

I just want to pop in and say thanks for your work on this Questdog! Great Job!
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #59
fsclb66
Minors (Single A)

Just started a new league with the 1870 names, first names, and ethnicities loaded and the regular QD world default loaded so that theres no segregation, but the problem im having is that I have international scouting on but the only players my scout finds are from the united states
fsclb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #60
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsclb66 View Post
Just started a new league with the 1870 names, first names, and ethnicities loaded and the regular QD world default loaded so that theres no segregation, but the problem im having is that I have international scouting on but the only players my scout finds are from the united states
You need to set up your player origin percentages properly. And if they are set up to mimic real life from the 1800's, there will not be many players found outside of the USA.

Be advised that I don't ever play with international finds or free agents. All the players in my leagues come through the draft, so I'm not the one to help you get that part set up correctly.

Also, be advised that I did not edit the African-American last name set to be kosher for 1870. It will work, but there are some Muslim last names that should be deleted. Since my plan for my own league is to introduce the Negro Leagues in 1920, I did not see the need to all the work on the 1870 file. When I get to 1920, I will do the work then and back-date the changes to the 1870 set.