Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Post creative fictional league ideas here!

I am looking into getting back into solo OOTP play and I'm looking for an idea to spark my interest and get me back playing a solo league.

I'm looking to hear about all people's interesting league formats, schedules, rules, playoff structures, concepts, team names/locations, anything else you can think of that's of interest in a fictional setting to spark some interest amongst others like me who may be looking for a new league idea.

Share away all those who run creative solo leagues! Or even are a part of creative online leagues whose ideas can be adapted for solo.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
conception
All Star Starter

Not really a league idea, but for a while now I've been playing in my solo league by staying with a team for only one year and picking one of the available jobs the next year. Although the teams that I've built usually win a championship after I'm gone, its actually very difficult to put together a championship caliber team in just one season. I throw out all the stops to put together the best team I can get and so far I haven't failed to make the playoffs, but rarely even advanced to the final round of the playoffs.

It gives me a challenge every time I play the game, each new team is like unraveling a puzzle where I have to work hard to find and obtain the right pieces in a limited amount of time. I do miss the longevity of developing players, but too often in single player I'd ship out my veteran players for prospects once they got past their peak years. Now I find myself acquiring or signing guys who are 35+ that I've had a history with just because even in their advanced age they will probably be better than the guys I could get.
conception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Assos
All Star Starter

I played a game in 9 that was nothing but Southeastern Asia based teams. That was fun.
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
well plaing my fictional ABF is a thrill for me.
Right now its a 14 team league (16 after the 2004 season)
I did the teams based on City population as of 2000
My Chicago Fire have won 2 of the 1st 4 World Series and lost 1 more.

You can even download the city name generator and set it up to creat unique city names for all your teams then just either use that file for the cities.tx or copy and paste them.

If u r a fan of star Wars or Star Trek, Narnia, LOTR or whatever else you can create your own universe.

I also have my Endor Baseball League which goes against an historical (thru 2010) MLB universe, I have all my Cities/Nations (250) and all my 2003 uniforms for my team. I will be offering this up as a quickstart, once i work out any issues i have with it. Probably after i get updated to the 2040 season but the file is gonna be huge by then.

As much as i love my ABF league the EBL vs MLB is the 1 that i am dying to try, its basically a replay of all games that came before OOTP11, I started it on Tony 3, played it on the Hardball Series and High Heat.

This time with full minors, contracts, better trades, and no ghost players it will play out differently.
Glenbard from 2003-2023 won their division and won the pennant 19 times with only 1 world series despite the fact that they have 14 HOF players, My Endor City Capitals won the 1st 6 W.S. having only 3 HOF.

I might even just do a redo on it and instead of drafting my created players to their orig teams let the AI draft them and see if i can still build 10 World Series teams in 37 yrs.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
shawa666
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
One of my favorite scenarios is the PCL going rogue in 58 due to scoring a tv deal with DuMont Television Network a couple of years earlier.

another interesting scenarion is a canadian league starting in after the first world war and slowly expanding west and south.

The sempiternal modern indy league scenario works well too.
shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Nugget699
Major Leagues

What about a completely fictional Nation too?

Check out my Koana Islands.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post

How did you set yours up? I have put my EBL on hold because i was getting tired of putting in population and long/lat in for my 700 cities on Endor plus the additional 300 cities on other planets/nations.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
How did you set yours up? I have put my EBL on hold because i was getting tired of putting in population and long/lat in for my 700 cities on Endor plus the additional 300 cities on other planets/nations.
Population, what I did was use a random number generator and just copy and paste the results, the one I used is below.

Random Number Generator

Long/lat, My league aka Skelphland is split into 10 counties (states) so I just gave the same long/lat to each city within a county so I only needed to come up with 10 different long/lat then it's just a matter of copy and paste.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Chicagofan76
Banned

the way i am doing my EBL is matching planets with countries Endor is USA Tantooine is Australia Coruscant is UK

and then using long/lat and pop from each city is that country it takes forever wiki everything. Endor City is Chicago, Imperial Center is London, eventually i have mini leagues on planets other then endor
Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post

Check out my Koana Islands.
Love that fictional world! You wouldn't be willing to share it as a quickstart, would you?
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
John C
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
We're finally kicking off our Baseball Association this weekend. Sixty-four team promotion/relegation league, set across four divisions in 1950 America.

John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
the way i am doing my EBL is matching planets with countries Endor is USA Tantooine is Australia Coruscant is UK

and then using long/lat and pop from each city is that country it takes forever wiki everything. Endor City is Chicago, Imperial Center is London, eventually i have mini leagues on planets other then endor
I kind of did the same with the counties of Skelphland by using long/lat of real cities in England, the population although I used a generator I did split the cities and towns up into groups of very large cities, large cities, big cities then down to towns and villages so I've ended up with 3,000 locations all told.

The weather I took from the US, with England being small their isn't a really big change of weather so I went with the states. An example being Arundale in the north is based on Minnesota's weather and Stowell in the south is based on Arizona's weather.

Still got alot of work to do on it as I did have a database for it but wasn't happy with what I came up with so scrapped it and started again, as for the league I'll be starting off with 1 league with 6 teams in it based in Arundale with the bare bones aka no free agents, minors and such and based around mining communities bit like the old cotton mill leagues.

Hopefull of having it up and running soon and putting it on the Dynasty forum, then I'm thinking of opening it up as an online league with the next version of OOTP if everything goes to plan but by then the league will have grown to 2 divisions of 6 teams in each.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
theweatherman
Minors (Single A)

I've got a league going where baseball explodes in popularity in England after World War II, surpassing football (soccer) as the world's most popular sport. Eventually, I will have leagues sprout across the world, and there will be some form of a global/world cup tournament. When the leagues expand, promotion and relegation will be involved.
theweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C View Post
We're finally kicking off our Baseball Association this weekend. Sixty-four team promotion/relegation league, set across four divisions in 1950 America.
How is it set up, between financials, player creation modifiers, etc., to make sure that the lower leagues are worse than the higher leagues and that the worst team in the top league doesn't automatically dominate once they get to the second league? Just wondering since I've tried the promotion/relegation thing before and it never really worked out for me.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
stevebydac
All Star Reserve

I'm planning out a fictional nation with two main islands and a few small ones. About 400 x 400 miles in size (think England; or Boston to Philadelphia).

It will have two leagues (14 and 16 teams) with promotion/relegation. A short season, styled on soccer, 13 home and 13 away games vs. the other teams in the SuperLeague (Premier League?). The lesser league will have two divisions of 8. The divisional champs will meet and the winner is promoted into the big league.

I'm going all out with ballparks, logos and uniforms borrowed from here. I'm also planning the financials so that there are a few superteams that tend to dominate the league. I will have one of them be an Army team with the fictional premise that the military is pretty controlling in the nation and recruits the top talent into the team. I'm wondering if I should give the Army the #1 pick in the draft every year, or just give them a huge budget. I also will have 2 or 3 religious-based teams on the thought that the churches have a lot of influence and own teams, with one being really strong like Notre Dame football used to be.

Also, by sheer luck, the map I have has a very narrow straight between the points of two islands. I'm thinking of creating a big rivalry between the two sides, with a major city on each side separated by just a bridge and water. Almost like Istanbul in real life, with a Real Madrid/Barcelona type rivalry going on.

It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm taking my time as this will be a league I'll keep for years. Should be very immersive.

stevebydac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

My fictional league is actually two leagues. The main one is the World Baseball League - I am basically thinking this takes place where baseball is as popular around the world as soccer/football is now. I have teams around the world, with the sub-leagues being Northern and Southern Hemisphere (though I have to cheat a bit since there aren't that many southern cities.) I had to go into the country data and edit them so that most countries have a much larger baseball infrastructure than they do in the real world - and actually took the US, Mexico, Cuba, etc down a notch so they wouldn't dominate the league. As a result I have players from all over the world and it's always entertaining to watch.

After a while running this I wanted to set up a separate ML level league, but one with a much smaller bankroll, so I created the Can-Am league, focused in the US and Canada. They have smaller payrolls and generally have less talented players, though often they sign a young guy for a few years until he becomes a free agent and goes to the WBL to make big money.

Lots of fun so far, though I don't run any team in this setup - I play more as a commissioner and just watch how things play out and see who the best players are.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #17
bleachercreature
Major Leagues

Planning something where after the constant work stoppages of the 80s and 90s, as well as collusion, players, with the help of several investors start their own league.

Several teams will be in cities that don't have ML teams (Portland, Las Vegas, Memphis, among others) Several ML cities will have teams playing in stadiums that IRL were built later on.

I'm just hung up on a plausible explanation of how to get teams in this league into places like Fenway and Wrigley. My going theory right now (certainly not realistic) a court case that declares teams are allowed to play at these venues because they're national landmarks.

A second idea is that in some cities, they just decided to build replica ballparks.
bleachercreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #18
dtaylor7104
Bat Boy

My fictional league USBL

Took a while to perfect it to my needs but I think I put together a great fictional league. Can't wait for OOTP21 so I can customize stadiums for each team.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (257.8 KB, 59 views)
dtaylor7104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:48 AM   #19
tribephan75
Bat Boy

Alternate history idea where America into 3 different countries after Civil War, Northern Federated Union, Confederated States and Texas, also have 4th Major league for Canada. Champions for each compete in tournament after season to crown North American baseball champion
tribephan75 is offline   Reply With Quote