Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Wish List: College Baseball Related

As some of you may know, bigrod and I are working on creating a full NCAA baseball universe for 2013, including all 295 teams with real rosters and stats. It will be able to be used as feeder league or played as its own universe. It will also include a large HS league with thousands of rl HS prospects/college signees.

However, in the course of working on it I've seen a few ways that OOTP could really improve in making such a league more interesting and rewarding. I'm going to post a list of some things that I think are needed.

Only a couple things for now, more to come.

1. Add a class field for college/hs players, and allow college and hs leagues to set, not age limits, but class limits.

Include redshirt years as well.

That way the 24 years old seniors you see in reality can be included in college leagues in OOTP along with the more traditional 22 year old seniors.

This would also greatly benefit college leagues used as feeders. So now players could actually become draft eligible as juniors, as in reality, not only at a given age. If unsigned they could simply come back as seniors as in reality.

So it would be possible to create a totally accurate draft class for a real college league. Now the class will be inaccurate if the league is used as a feeder because I can only set an age limit, thus some players not eligible for the draft in reality are eligible in game and vice-versa.

2. Create a field for HS players that allows you to select the college team that they'll move to if they don't sign in the draft/aren't drafted.

Essentially any team in the current universe would have to be selectable.

As is I believe some HS players will randomly join teams in a college league if undrafted (though I could be wrong, perhaps they only become free agents or go into the invisible holding tank for unsigned draft prospects).

There should be a way to set the future team that they'll join, which would allow real hs prospects to be set to join the college team they've actually signed for.

If a date for the move could also be set then this could be used to set up future transactions in an MLB league as well.

3. The ability to set PCM's for each division in a league, or even each specific team, rather than only being able to set PCM's for an entire league. As things are now, when players are randomly created all teams in a league have the same chance to get good players. So in an ACC league, over time, Duke or Boston College will likely have just as many good players as Georgia Tech or North Carolina, which is kind of silly.

4. Setting an option to allow divisional records to be the determining factor in league standings, not only overall record.

5. More custom playoff options, including double elimination.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 02-26-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
1. Add a class field for college/hs players, and allow college and hs leagues to set, not age limits, but class limits.

Include redshirt years as well.

That way the 24 years old seniors you see in reality can be included in college leagues in OOTP along with the more traditional 22 year old seniors.

This would also greatly benefit college leagues used as feeders. So now players could actually become draft eligible as juniors, as in reality, not only at a given age. If unsigned they could simply come back as seniors as in reality.

So it would be possible to create a totally accurate draft class for a real college league. Now the class will be inaccurate if the league is used as a feeder because I can only set an age limit, thus some players not eligible for the draft in reality are eligible in game and vice-versa.
IIRC Markus has said that service limits are too much work to code for minor leagues. He didn't answer when I asked about college leagues.

Quote:
2. Create a field for HS players that allows you to select the college team that they'll move to if they don't sign in the draft/aren't drafted.

Essentially any team in the current universe would have to be selectable.

As is I believe some HS players will randomly join teams in a college league if undrafted (though I could be wrong, perhaps they only become free agents or go into the invisible holding tank for unsigned draft prospects).

There should be a way to set the future team that they'll join, which would allow real hs prospects to be set to join the college team they've actually signed for.

If a date for the move could also be set then this could be used to set up future transactions in an MLB league as well.
That would be quite cool.

Quote:
3. The ability to set PCM's for each division in a league, or even each specific team, rather than only being able to set PCM's for an entire league. As things are now, when players are randomly created all teams in a league have the same chance to get good players. So in an ACC league, over time, Duke or Boston College will likely have just as many good players as Georgia Tech or North Carolina, which is kind of silly.
Agreed, but I wonder whether it might be a lot of work for something that perhaps not many people will use. It would also be useful for people who want to do worldwide leagues with different divisions for different countries.

Quote:
4. Setting an option to allow divisional records to be the determining factor in league standings, not only overall record.
LGO has been on about this for a while too. It would be useful.

Quote:
5. More custom playoff options, including double elimination.
Agreed. Not sure how likely double elimination is though.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
hfield007
All Star Starter

I don't know if the game does this already but i'd like to see it give the colleges that do better (win a champiosnhip, multi college playoff appearances and great records) get better freshman than the low tier schools.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
IIRC Markus has said that service limits are too much work to code for minor leagues. He didn't answer when I asked about college leagues.
Would a class field function in the same way service limits would? I don't think it should.

Obviously only Markus or Andreas know for sure but it seems to me that a class field would simply function as an alternate age field.

So the game would simply ignore the current age field (typically 18-19-20-21, perhaps 19-22) for college players (or hs) in favor of the alternate field (Fresman-Sophomore-Junior-Senior). Then once the player enters a league not designated as college or hs, the field would simply disappear or the game would reset to using the traditional age field.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 02-26-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfield007 View Post
I don't know if the game does this already but i'd like to see it give the colleges that do better (win a champiosnhip, multi college playoff appearances and great records) get better freshman than the low tier schools.
Agree, that what I was trying to get at with the pcm suggestion.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would a class field function in the same way service limits would? I don't think it should.

Obviously only Markus or Andreas know for sure but it seems to me that a class field would simply function as an alternate age field.

So the game would simply ignore the current age field (typically 18-19-20-21, perhaps 19-22) for college players (or hs) in favor of the alternate field (Fresman-Sophomore-Junior-Senior). Then once the player enters a league not designated as college or hs, the field would simply disappear or the game would reset to using the traditional age field.
From a programming perspective, that would probably be nearly as much work.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
From a programming perspective, that would probably be nearly as much work.
Ah, well that's something I wouldn't know about. Obviously some of my suggestions may not be feasible to program. I can only make them and then let the "adults" figure out if they're doable or not.