Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Might not, but I do think that including double-elimination playoffs is worth looking to for Markus (from my non-programmer position), just because it is a fairly well-recognized playoff format. That it's one of the big hurdles to a collegiate playstyle is just a bonus.

Wouldn't it be at least a little interesting to hold a four-team double-elimination tournament in each league (AL/NL) for a World Series spot?
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Not to me. I like things in a sim to be as much like the way they are in real life as is practical.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #23
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
Wouldn't it be at least a little interesting to hold a four-team double-elimination tournament in each league (AL/NL) for a World Series spot?
It would be endlessly handy for promotion/relegation setups too.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Not to me. I like things in a sim to be as much like the way they are in real life as is practical.
College baseball is real life.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
College baseball is real life.
Completely agree. Whether I am doing an MLB sim or a fictional league, I have wanted to run the NCAA as closely to reality as possible. Not being able to at least do the real life eight-team double elimination CWS has been frustrating.
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #26
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

You guys are descending to the trivial.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #27
Kobeck
Major Leagues

Like most I continue too be befuddled as to why these seemingly simple things cannot be implemented.

I would like too see the classic 4 team weekend tourney where the home team invites 2 good teams and a cupcake. Home team whops cupcake in game 1. Game two has both the good teams go at it . Game 3 the loser good team gets to pound the cupcake. Game 4 the home team plays for tourney championship against the winner of game 2

I know these can be manually scheduled but would be nice too just slot the teams into their proper roles - lol
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #28
royalblue
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Isn't the beauty of this game where you get to go and make your own baseball universe?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #29
tomwolf2008
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobeck View Post
Like most I continue too be befuddled as to why these seemingly simple things cannot be implemented.

I would like too see the classic 4 team weekend tourney where the home team invites 2 good teams and a cupcake. Home team whops cupcake in game 1. Game two has both the good teams go at it . Game 3 the loser good team gets to pound the cupcake. Game 4 the home team plays for tourney championship against the winner of game 2

I know these can be manually scheduled but would be nice too just slot the teams into their proper roles - lol
Probably because those things are not as simple as you think
tomwolf2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalblue View Post
Isn't the beauty of this game where you get to go and make your own baseball universe?
No.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
Erik
All Star Reserve

It sounds like what you're really asking for is just Customizable Playoffs. The ability to design your own Playoff, regardless if its done the MLB way or the College way, or any other way you want to create.

Hasn't this been a long standing issue with OOTP, that Playoffs are not customizable enough?
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No.
They do use "It's your game, play it your way" as a slogan though.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #33
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
So it's like Burger King?
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #34
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Which obviously means within the existing options. They don't use "Demand complicated and bizarre new options from us that only a handful of people will ever use but will require vast amounts of programming time," do they?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #35
tomwolf2008
Major Leagues

Quote:
Which obviously means within the existing options. They don't use "Demand complicated and bizarre new options from us that only a handful of people will ever use but will require vast amounts of programming time," do they?
I highly doubt that double elimination format is something "that only a handful of people will ever use" though.
tomwolf2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #36
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
So it's like Burger King?
I'm reminded of this post from a similar discussion a while ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Tell me about it! I went into Burger King last week and ordered a Whopper raw with the meat mixed in with the mayo and the tomatoes in a big glop, on the side and in one of those pie boxes they sell, and they said "no way"! Stupid Burger King. They also wouldn't take back my copy of "Sneak King".

Quote:
I don't think anyone is "demanding" anything. The goal, imho, has got to be to eventually allow anything that any real life league does to be recreated in OOTP. That might take a hell of a lot of versions, but I don't think it's ridiculous. You are right that double elimination is probably not the easiest thing to add, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be mentioned.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #37
royalblue
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Lol ok man, in my opinion what draws a lot of people into OOTP is the ability to create your own baseball universe. That could be setting up fictional leagues or doing your own version of MLB with different rules. If majority of people wanted to just play by the exact same rules and set up as MLB I think most of us would probably just play MLB The Show(which is a great game btw) but the beauty of this game is to be able to do what ever you want and this company is great at listening to customers ideas for this game.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #38
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Whatever. I think it's a lot of pain for little gain.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #39
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The problem word there is "practical". Because it could be used, for example, to justify why tie-breaking isn't as comprehensive and robust as it should be. ("It's not practical to do anything more with tie-breaking because the number of times users will come up against such scenarios doesn't justify the amount of coding time it would take to properly incorporate such scenarios.")

Sometimes, getting a feature implemented properly ought to trump "practical" considerations. Otherwise the feature is really a half-feature.

(And, as I said a little earlier, the three things which mark feeder leagues - i.e. high school and college leagues - from their professional counterparts are: (1) the double-elimination playoff format; (2) playoff qualification which is based on the division record rather than the overall record; and (3) an overall record which includes post-season games. If OOTP can get these three items incorporated, then feeder leagues pretty much have what they need to be almost fully realistic.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #40
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

This is prefaced with the standard "I am not a programmer", but I don't think it would be that difficult to implement double-elimination. Right now, playoff series are set up as "best of X", which can also be interpreted as "lose four and you're done" (in a 7-game series). As an alternative, it could be set up as a standard four-team bracket with "lose two and you're done."

Just spitballing.