Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Smile OOTP 14 announcement discussion!

Please discuss the OOTP 14 announcement & feature list here.

Note: The published feature list is NOT final. We continue to add features & tweaks while we develop and test the game.

Cheers!
Markus

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 01-24-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
tomwolf2008
Major Leagues

Is there screenshots avaliable?
tomwolf2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwolf2008 View Post
Is there screenshots avaliable?
Not yet... we'll have screenshots in a couple of weeks. Need to build up the excitement a bit
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

For the expanded real-time (I'm elated this made it BTW) please ensure you can tell who the runners on base are, what a batters avg. OPS, HR total and steals...just stats...same for pitchers. It would really be great to be able to watch an entire game from this screen, and really have a lot of information right there.

EDIT: maybe even a very simple play by play just stating something like :Johnson flies out to right. Jackson with putout F-8

Last edited by PSUColonel; 01-24-2013 at 12:25 PM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Markus - any chance tie-breakers and Championship announcement for non play-off leagues have been added?

I will sometimes play small, one division leagues with 6 or 8 teams and no play-offs. Regular season winner is League Champion. Right now, if there's a tie, tie breakers and news announcements must be done manually.

It would be nice if this could happen automatically.

Also, any chance the news item about 5 hits in a game gets fixed? Quite often the news article about a player with 5 hits will include a mention of entering the "record" book. While, there is no record book for 5 hits in a game, it's only there for 6 hits in a game.

Absolutely there should be an article in the news when a player has 5 hits, it is after all, a great accomplishment. However it should not say the player entered the record books.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

From the looks of it, it appears that there isn't a huge new feature in this years game (i.e. Real Time Simulation last year), and it seems like you instead solidified/added small new features all the things that make this game amazing (trading, player creation, talent searching).

If that's the case, I can't complain one bit, as that's what makes me love OOTP. I've already pre-ordered and as usual I can't wait for the April release!

Last edited by philliesphan26; 01-24-2013 at 12:25 PM.
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
For the expanded real-time (I'm elated this made it BTW) please ensure you can tell who the runners on base are, what a batters avg. OPS, HR total and steals...just stats...same for pitchers. It would really be great to be able to watch an entire game from this screen, and really have a lot of information right there.
That's the plan
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Players from Independent Leagues
Wait... Did he just say Independent Leagues?!!!

Last edited by drksd4848; 01-24-2013 at 12:30 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
struggles_mightily
Minors (Triple A)

Not to be too much of a Debbie Downer, but the new features list is a little underwhelming to me this year. The lead feature (concerning the separation of different paths of player creation) is useful pretty much exclusively to present-day real-world and some fictional league players, whilst, as far as I can see, having very little use to historical players and being pretty marginal to a lot of different types of fictional league also (especially when some aspects of the feature can already be aped in 13). More worryingly to me, the introduction of new streams of Magically Appearing Players (i.e. from foreign leagues through posting, through indie leagues, and as amateur international FAs) seems to be a step away from the idea that OOTP can act to simulate the baseball world. To me, it would be more exciting to get the relationships between different sorts of leagues (majors in different nations, indie minors, college and HS) right so that these kinds of player transfers happen organically. The 'international complex' also seems to be a way of giving us the DSL and XST without really giving them to us.

The recoded player development, better modeling of fielding skill and its change over time, and the potential for young players to learn new pitches (this isn't a new feature is it??) are all very welcome and important, and will be of use to presumably every type of OOTP player except the ones who basically want Strat for cheaper. Some of it ('recoded', 'more realistic') has a slightly 'moveable feast' feel to it -- in the same way that trading and contract AI is 'improved' every year and no one really knows how much better it gets and some of the same problems still persist.

The improved league strategy options sound good to me, so there's that.

I know that some people will say 'hey, not all the features have been released yet!!' but I'll say that -- OK, fair enough, but I'm sure the 'biggest' changes have probably been dropped (why would Markus open by announcing only a bunch of secondary new features 2-3 months of release and then bust out the big guns a month or so later by which point people might've lost interest? And doesn't he want revenue asap?).

Still, I'll be buying. I will never not buy an OOTP game, and this is the only series of games I can say that about.

Edit: Two things just occurred to me about the new player entry system. i) isn't MLB trying to do away with international amateur FAs and to incorporate players who would otherwise sign as such into the draft? Obviously this new system could be replicated by OOTP 14's announced set-up, but the concept of an international amateur FA could soon (2016 maybe? next CBA?) become an anachronism entirely. Ii) I wonder if we can set it up so that in historical leagues the Lahman imports American and Canadian, and Latin/Asian players to different pools, so that amateur international and draft signings of real historical players can be separated too? That would make this cooler.

Last edited by struggles_mightily; 01-24-2013 at 12:43 PM.
struggles_mightily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Based on the announcement, it sounds like this version is a focus on rebuilding and recoding the game from the ground up in some areas, which might add up to one of the bigger changes in the product in quite some time.

While it might not seem that there is a major new feature on the list, the recoding of the player creation system and related algorithms is probably the equivalent. Rebuilding them is probably quite an undertaking, so I would expect that this may end up being one of the big splashes for this year.

Some of the other recoding efforts for fielding ratings and AI roster management and settings could also prove to be really impactful. I wonder if we'll see some highly positive responses from the folks who've been clamoring for smaller improvements and fixes.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggles_mightily View Post
Not to be too much of a Debbie Downer, but the new features list is a little underwhelming to me this year.
No worries, this is a) not the final list and b) we cannot have new features for every part of OOTP every year.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Markus, any chance that the game will save box scores and game logs from League Association playoffs? I love having an international tournament, but really wish I could see more than just seeing that one team won their series 3-1.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
Markus, any chance that the game will save box scores and game logs from League Association playoffs? I love having an international tournament, but really wish I could see more than just seeing that one team won their series 3-1.
You can access them already from the schedule screen, can't you? Or do you mean from previous years?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
OutfieldGrass
Minors (Double A)

I noticed there was no option to pre-order for the Linux version. Will there be a Linux version this year?
OutfieldGrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
hobbitrjw
Minors (Triple A)

Nice feature list. One small suggestion I have for OOTP 14 involves split season format. Having expanded 2nd half standings that show more than just who the leaders are in the 2nd half as well as correctly listing who is really winning the 2nd half when the leader of the 2nd half has already won the 1st half.

Also when can we expect news of improvements for IOOTP 13?
hobbitrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
struggles_mightily
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
While it might not seem that there is a major new feature on the list, the recoding of the player creation system and related algorithms is probably the equivalent. Rebuilding them is probably quite an undertaking, so I would expect that this may end up being one of the big splashes for this year.

Some of the other recoding efforts for fielding ratings and AI roster management and settings could also prove to be really impactful. I wonder if we'll see some highly positive responses from the folks who've been clamoring for smaller improvements and fixes.
Exactly, yeah -- a lot of the features are of the sort where their sum impact is difficult to guess. 'Recoding' stuff can be a game-changer or a tweak in my experience (as an OOTP player that is, not a programmer).

I've never played a new OOTP and thought 'hey, this is just the last version with a roster update!' though, so I'm not too worried.
struggles_mightily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
deanemj
Minors (Double A)

Please, please, please tell me that automatic promotion and relegation is included!

And how about career salary tracking?
deanemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutfieldGrass View Post
I noticed there was no option to pre-order for the Linux version. Will there be a Linux version this year?
Yes, but no preordering for it yet.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
RoyEarl
Minors (Double A)

I don't suppose the draft has been fixed to allow for the adding/subtracting/reordering of supplemental picks? It makes online league problematic with FA compensation... if not this time then HINT HINT
RoyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggles_mightily View Post
Exactly, yeah -- a lot of the features are of the sort where their sum impact is difficult to guess. 'Recoding' stuff can be a game-changer or a tweak in my experience (as an OOTP player that is, not a programmer).

I've never played a new OOTP and thought 'hey, this is just the last version with a roster update!' though, so I'm not too worried.
In the end, apart from the 'big' new features we always spend a lot of time tweaking & improving existing features without listing these changes in a "new features"-list. And all these small things combined create a new experience overall I think. For instance, when you pick up OOTP 12 and compare it after playing OOTP 13 a while, you'll probably say "jeez, that's such a difference!"