Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #41
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
So I have done some analysis of stats from teams in Gold, Diamond, and Perfect leagues ---- 10 leagues total for last week (season).... these are the average OVR (overalls for pitchers and batters in each)

level pitch bat
Gold: 84.4 83.3
Dia: 87.5 84.8
Perf: 93.1 91.6

In other words, The difference between Perfect and Diamond is over three times greater than the difference between Diamond and Gold.
How do you get data from the other leagues? I can't seem to open other league up, it just gives me a single webpage report and that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
Agreed with the rest of your post, but can't figure out why this is true. Seems to me, even if F2P have a better chance in a capped or specialized tourney, they will still have to deal with whales that can afford all they want and put forth the best of all players. Then by the time you add in the collection rewards they can get, they'll have players either for tourneys or for Perfect league that widen the gap even more. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't understand how a team with limited resources can ever compete against one with unlimited just on the basis of the players they can play. They'll still have to rely on managerial ability or luck which might be a bigger factor in a capped league, but still not the end all because they won't necessarily have the best players at their disposal to begin with.
I think the exclusive player cards will be on the bigger tourneys, which I expect will be a battleground for only the biggest whales and the most skillful managers of the PTverse. While the F2P will get some help, they are certainly not going to close the gap between them and the whales, who will also be snowballing in packs too. I think what tournament will bring to the PT landscape is that the median OVR of a team higher. As more packs will be opened by players of all economy scale, all teams have a higher chance to get richer if they hit the Perfect jackpot. Or just get more useful players from packs than now. The amount of players in the market would increase and might lead to a drop of price -- hard to say, some tournament staples in a restricted ruleset will be more expensive I believe, like the best Silver pitchers' price would rise if Silver only tournament is popular and often available. All of that will raise up the overall quality of teams all across the board and I think that's about it for tournament. I don't really believe it will solve the F2P problem, but it does provide the skillful managers with a chance to catch-up to the whales if they are great tournament manager.

Last edited by Goliathus; 05-20-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #42
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

Oakland Oatboys came within 2 games of winning WS in a tough PL.

they were starting Mark Belanger 68 at 2b

the entire roster if purchased right now on Auction House would cost $110.

If they got a lucky pull or worked AH to make PP they might have been a F2P.

they had a good strategy. and an interesting use of openers. Only 3 SP.

yes they got some RNG luck. beat a huge whale team in the best of 5 when they were down 2-0...won 9 straight after that.

it can be done. don't expect immediate gratification at perfect level.

my very best team has not won 1 title.

the Ahabs who are i am sure considered a "whale" team are actually more of a mini whale. i made PP by working AH.

that team swept Winter Springs in WS 8 days ago. got lucky,

dont' expect Sunday playoffs to go your way every week. try different strategies

adjust yr lineups based on opponent and park factors.

goliathus there is a group of ppl who pool data together. thats where the poster got some of this data. we are focused mainly on PL.

HiDesertAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #43
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post
option A) keep pulling packs. Option B) save up for...awhile. Option C) throw dolla bills like rain

Obviously in your case -- i'd say save up. It'll take awhile but you will get there. That being said, I'd make sure the rest of your team is solid first before you try to wait for a perfect card b/c it will mean no other improvements for quite awhile.

So is the only way anyone has multiple perfects because they spent money? Even at 10k per week, which is a LOT (I'm LUCKY to get half that), that's more than 20 weeks for 1 perfect. The game's been out, what, 2 months? That means the average (if you consider 10k/week average) player would need 20 weeks to get 1. Yet there's people in gold and below with multiple perfects.

I fail to see how it's even possible for an F2P to get a perfect that matters (not a LIVE which can lose all its value) without being not just lucky, but ridiculously so...which I know I have never, and will never be.

It's frustrating to realize I most likely will never have a perfect even if I get 10k/week, which at this point seems impossible with my best week being 5.6k. But hey, only 40 weeks to go for a perfect at this pace, and that's if I somehow manage to keep up the 5.6k/week pace! And by then it won't matter anyways because most everyone else will somehow have 5-10 perfects. My mind is blown.

I've played many P2W games before, so I'm familiar with hitting walls, but this wall feels immovable. Usually one can find SOME way to get 1 or 2 difficult drops. In here I just have to be...lucky. Sorry. End rant.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #44
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Spending all your PP on packs is a good way to never have enough to buy a perfect card. Every pack you buy is a loss of expected PP value. Hitting a jackpot card is extremely rare.

Why are you considering 200K the price of a perfect? The whales at the top will have those but they are certainly not common even at the perfect level. Most are a fraction of that and can be saved up for in a couple weeks. With some good market speculation it is a matter of days.

Last edited by dkgo; 05-20-2019 at 05:49 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #45
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Spending all your PP on packs is a good way to never have enough to buy a perfect card. Every pack you buy is a loss of expected PP value. Hitting a jackpot card is extremely rare.

Why are you considering 200K the price of a perfect? The whales at the top will have those but they are certainly not common even at the perfect level.

It's a very rough, uncalculated guesstimate by myself after browsing the AH, and removing LIVE and "common" perfects from the estimate. Sales and Trouts are cheap, but HoFers and Historical perfects are the ones that set themselves apart as "true" perfects in my eyes.

If I get a "low" perfect will I be happy? Of course! But it'll feel like that guy that matches 5/6 numbers on the lottery and freaks out that he's won a ton of money only to find out he won 100 bucks.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #46
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I have a perfect lou gehrig who is trading for around 50K for example. I agree that the Live cards except for Trout aren't really worth having given the chance they drop, without the 20K quicksell most would be trading in the 4 figures based on merit
Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #47
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick50 View Post
Here is my issue... In real baseball teams stink for a while (Marlins, etc) and sell off there good players... Get prospects... Hopefully prospects work out and you make another run. I would be ok w that. Thats not possible at all in the current set up.

My bigger point was that... the system is broke. It appears this is something most of you knew long ago and im just late to the party. If people who are way smarter then me havent figured out a way to fix it, i guess im not going to either.
Well, Perfect Team is so much different than real baseball, Verlander had issues because in real life he doesn't face lineups where Honus Wagner is hitting 9th. But there are things you can do in Perfect Team to make your team better that you CAN'T do in real life, too. Anything within your means, if you really can't figure anything out, start a team that will lose, get relegated and play at Diamond until you win, start losers again when you get to perfect....OR invest more money or have a lot of patience (the challenge being being NOT one of the worst 2 teams in the league until you can invest more or compete. Leaving the game alone for awhile can help you come up with ideas, while you're fishing, taking a walk or doing the things you normally do, you're likely to be thinking about your team anyway, you don't have to watch your team all the time. You can return when you have a desire to play again, the sims will go on.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #48
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
I've played many P2W games before, so I'm familiar with hitting walls, but this wall feels immovable. Usually one can find SOME way to get 1 or 2 difficult drops. In here I just have to be...lucky. Sorry. End rant.

If you have played P2W games before you should understand it's impossible to close the wall. They feel movable but that's just an illusion, really. Also, lootboxes of all kind are -EV, because that's how those games earn money from whales. You want them open a lot of lootboxes for those ultra-special drops and the only way you can have them open a lot is to have a low drop rate, like the Perfect card.

Also, what dkgo said. Most F2P games have to ways for you to progress: (1)whale up with money (2)spend time. F2P, in this game, can accelerate their progress by playing the market. You can go safe with the standard buy low, sell high or go high risk, high reward with market speculation.

Or do what someone in another thread is doing. Construct an achievement hunter lineup that is geared toward PP generation.

Last edited by Goliathus; 05-20-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #49
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

If you are buying packs you are just rolling the dice and hoping it comes up 12. Of course most of the time you are going to end up with like 2 bronzes and 4 irons and wonder why you wasted those points again.

Meanwhile pretty much any live diamond rated 95-98 you can find for sale at 6K and resell for 8K within a couple hours. cards like bregman, snell, etc.

Trying to project tier bumps is the best way though. I have an entire page of inactive contreras and rizzos that will profit 2K apiece when they finally get the bump to diamond they deserve. Another half page of bryants, sales, and syndergaards plus a few random 97s that will be a 10K to 12K profit each. If those guys ever get back to perfect thats 200K in points instantly. All of that was funded from doing the same with rendons and chapmans early on then a bunch of gallos recently.

There are many players to focus on and ways to do it. Some people prefer historical cards since there is always less supply and with enough patience you can get a very nice return on a single card.

I also only have one team. Easier to pay attention to the market that way instead of essentially dividing all potential profits by 3.

Last edited by dkgo; 05-20-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #50
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
If you have played P2W games before you should understand it's impossible to close the wall. They feel movable but that's just an illusion, really. Also, lootboxes of all kind are -EV, because that's how those games earn money from whales. You want them open a lot of lootboxes for those ultra-special drops and the only way you can have them open a lot is to have a low drop rate, like the Perfect card.

Also, what dkgo said. Most F2P games have to ways for you to progress: (1)whale up with money (2)spend time. F2P, in this game, can accelerate their progress by playing the market. You can go safe with the standard buy low, sell high or go high risk, high reward with market speculation.

Or do what someone in another thread is doing. Construct an achievement hunter lineup that is geared toward PP generation.
Isn't the goal of every lineup PP generation?

Nonetheless, Achievement hunter has me intrigued. How does that work exactly? Could you link the thread or give a synopsis please? I'd be most appreciative.

I'm guessing it's excellent hitters with terrible pitchers so he gets comeback points, 5-hit points, etc...

I still haven't cracked 6k in a week, and I hear some people make 10k+ every week! That's mind-blowing.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #51
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Great hitters with terrible defense is a good strategy for achievements. You can find some very underpriced hitters like hack wilson, jd martinez, and joe torre that aren't going to help you win at higher levels but will get some solid points with the bat at lower levels.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #52
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Isn't the goal of every lineup PP generation?

Nonetheless, Achievement hunter has me intrigued. How does that work exactly? Could you link the thread or give a synopsis please? I'd be most appreciative.

I'm guessing it's excellent hitters with terrible pitchers so he gets comeback points, 5-hit points, etc...

I still haven't cracked 6k in a week, and I hear some people make 10k+ every week! That's mind-blowing.
Not really, I would argue that there's a difference between a regular lineup that is designed to win as much game as possible(default goal; so the lineup of most players) with whatever cards the players have and a designed-for-PP lineup.

Post here.

The idea is to go for great hitters and great stuff pitchers, which makes sense. I am sure this kind of team will earn more PP than say a defensive-minded, low score team due to their ability to score more achievements.

Last edited by Goliathus; 05-20-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #53
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
Not really, I would argue that there's a difference between a regular lineup that is designed to win as much game as possible(default goal; so the lineup of most players) with whatever cards the players have and a designed-for-PP lineup.

Post here.

The idea is to go for great hitters and great stuff pitchers, which makes sense. I am sure this kind of team will earn more PP than say a defensive-minded, low score team due to their ability to score more achievements.

Thank you Goliathus.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #54
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
How does one ever get a perfect card?
Luck. I opened a 100 LIVE Scherzer Sunday night.

Monday morning he was a 99.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #55
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post

I sell any player who is even a marginal risk of going down a tier. The risk is too big.

GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #56
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post

Some might call that BAD luck. Getting pysched that you finally got a perfect to have it drop? Imagine if you waited 1 day to open that pack. Then the card you got wouldn't have been the perfect you got. Maybe you would have gotten a Gehrig or Ruth or something.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #57
Charlatan
All Star Starter

That Scherzer I opened was on my packs-only team. They're unusual in that they open packs on a fixed schedule (2 on Wednesday for "mid season callups" and 5 on Sunday for "offseason influx of new players"). The only other packs I get for this team are the free Challenge mode packs, and "bonus" packs which are purchased after I sell 6 Bronze+ duplicate players. Since I don't have any use for excess PP and since I don't use the AH there was no value to selling the Scherzer... plus as a Nats fan I was completely psyched to get him. So you bet I'm using him.

My team had a great offseason - between the 5 offseason packs, the challenge mode pack, and one bonus pack, I got the Scherzer, a 93 OVR Cliff Lee and an 85 OVR Acuna (plus a duplicate 85 Buehler!). Hopefully this gives us the boost to finally get out of bronze.

Edit to add: Forgot to mention - in either his 1st or 2nd start for my team, Scherzer pitched a perfect game.

Last edited by Charlatan; 05-21-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote