Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #21
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
What's the point of letting the AI handle base running if they can't handle stealing then? I didn't know they didn't handle stealing since I have never used that before.
It is working as designed and as it should IE, to simulate that the base coach is making the decision to send or not send the runner on a ball in play in real time. That is the manager can't make this decision from the dugout unless he has instructed the team to play station to station due to the game situation. You can, for the most part, simulate station to station now by turning off the baserunning option. Though have some have posted the game does not always ask about advancement. I guess we could attribute that to the baserunner making a decision himself IE ignoring a stop sign etc.

Base stealing is a totally separate decision and made by the manager from the dugout. Again as it should be in OOTP.

I would support the original poster's request to be able to fine tune a runner by individual settings in player strategy. I would oppose adding the cpu deciding who and when to steal being included in the baserunning control option.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
Dutch Alexander
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I would support the original poster's request to be able to fine tune a runner by individual settings in player strategy. I would oppose adding the cpu deciding who and when to steal being included in the baserunning control option.
Not sure if I understand you correctly. You would NOT want baserunners to steal without player input? If so, what exactly would you like to see finetuned in player strategy settings?

What I would like to see is a certain freedom for base runners, as it is in real life. If a good base stealer sees an opportunity to steal, he will steal without waiting for a DIRECT order. This is what makes good base stealers: recognizing the opportune moments and taking advantage of them. The base runner will know under which conditions he has this freedom and when not. If you DIRECTLY order a good base stealer to steal the opportunity may not be ideal and the base runner will not be nearly as succesful.

The user would then have options in the player strategy settings to 'define' this freedom for each player. At the same time in the team strategy option the user has the option to restrict this freedom to certain game situations. In-game the user would still have the option to overide these 'settings'. In some situations you would not want your baserunner to risk being thrown out at any cost. In other situation you might want to have your base runner take a chance and tell him to steal without waiting for the opportune moment.
This would be closer to real life I think.

As it is now, when you play in one-pitch mode, you simulate the entire AB at once. To make the base stealing work in it's current form, you are FORCED to switch to pitch-by-pitch mode every time a POSSIBLE SB situation occors. Not only offensively but also defensively, because of pitch-outs and pick-offs.
To make one-pitch mode work you need the OPTION to let the AI handle SB, pick-offs and pitch-outs. It's then up to the player whether or not he wants to control everything or let the AI handle certain aspects.
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post
Not sure if I understand you correctly. You would NOT want baserunners to steal without player input? If so, what exactly would you like to see finetuned in player strategy settings?
[/B]
I do not want players stealing on their own when the "baserunning" option is set to "computer AI". I want that to stay as it currently is, IE it is only to let the AI\base-coach make the decision on when to try to advance a baserunner.

I support having a toggle in each player strategy setting to give him "freedom" to steal when he thinks he has a good chance. Add as many options as you want to tailor it to game situations (IE ahead, behind, etc.). But this feature needs to be independent of the "baserunning" option. Not something I think I'll use so haven't given how to do it any thought. One way would be to add a "steal" option with "computer AI" or "human" options. With "computer AI" selected the AI would use your "player strategy settings". With "human control" it would not, the game would continue to work as it does now, only the human can decide when to attempt a SB.

Again the implementation doesn't matter to me as long as the current "baserunning" option isn't changed to allow the cpu to take control of whether or not my runners attempt a SB. I want my base-coach to decide on runners advancing. I don't want the AI controlling my SB attempts.

Hope that helps.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #24
Mark313
Bat Boy

I wish they could fix the top 20 free agents list once free agency starts in the off season.

I forget the name of that screen, i am tired.

But when you see the list of so called top 20 players (seems to list by money demand, wish it had a option to sort by war, or average, or HR, your choice kind of thing) but if it is 2051 off season November. It shows the stats for the latest season from 2050, not the just completed season.
Mark313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post

As it is now, when you play in one-pitch mode, you simulate the entire AB at once. To make the base stealing work in it's current form, you are FORCED to switch to pitch-by-pitch mode every time a POSSIBLE SB situation occors. Not only offensively but also defensively, because of pitch-outs and pick-offs.
To make one-pitch mode work you need the OPTION to let the AI handle SB, pick-offs and pitch-outs. It's then up to the player whether or not he wants to control everything or let the AI handle certain aspects.
This is the big point. Many times I get that runner on, and I want to steal. If I just click "steal", it switches pitch by pitch, with the batter always taking a pitch. Often times I try that, batter has no lead, and the count gets to 0-2, and I want my top hitter to actually have an AB.

I would definitely like a few options for stealing a base:
1. Current: batter takes pitches until player gets lead, tries steal.
2. Send forced: runner takes off on next pitch regardless
3. Runner's freedom: AB like normal, but if batter sees he can get a jump, he will try to run. This will lead to more steals in human control, but also the chance of LO-DP, K-CS DP, or if the batter actually gets a line drive single, the runner gets a huge boost to their running on the play (ie. some guys might even score from 1st on a single)

The 3rd option would be very similar to the "run and hit" option that exists now. The difference is that the run and hit is still a "send forced" with the batter taking the choice to swing, whereas this option would have both batter and runner deciding independently.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
RchW
Hall Of Famer

The AI runs when you (ie the human player) is in control. I thought this was the case but had to wait until it happened. See the screenshot. I did not send this player and I am pissed.

There is no way I'd send a player in this situation. The pitcher was bunting.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #27
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

The more important topic, have the Cubs won a WS yet?

Last edited by Doc_Brown; 02-14-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #28
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Brown View Post
The more important topic, have the Cubs won a WS yet?
Once in 2004. That was part of a 5 year sim to set some history. I took over Colorado in 2006.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote