Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Kobie
Minors (Triple A)

Do Minor League titles provide a development boost?

An issue has come up in an online league I'm in where some players appeared to get a significant boost in potential rating after winning multiple minor-league championships in one season. It's a small sample size and I haven't really dug into it more, but is it known if winning a championship in the minors increases a player's development?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
majesty95
All Star Starter

Its not potential as much as it is overall. .The first instance was Adam Hyzdu who went form a 1.5 star to a 4-star after winning two MiL champs in same season. He also went up +1 on CON and POW and +2 on EYE that offseason.

John Nicholson went up from a 0.5 star to a 3.5 star after wining a chip and then the next season was on three teams who won chips and went up +1 in STU, MOV and control over the next two season.

There nine guys on this team that won at least two (a couple 3) championships in one season and they all had considerable improvement over the next 1-2 seasons. (This is all on a 1-5 scale)

I compared this to a team that won one chip and they had five guys all go up after winning but the increases were more marginal. It seems there is a dev multiplier for winning championships and it becomes quite powerful if you win multiple in a season or in multiple seasons. The biggest issue is that guys who just appeared on the teams get credit for winning even if they had moved onto a higher level allowing for a tremendous organizational boost it seems.

Last edited by majesty95; 09-11-2019 at 12:57 AM.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Kobie
Minors (Triple A)

Using infinitesimally small datasets to accuse others of cheating is fun and all, but I'd love other people's input.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

maybe, but some small sample like the above won't prove anything, either. if it does exist, it's irrational and would be a real example of what is phrased as "gamey" in these forums, imo.

does winning a game or a championship make you better? no. the result of something has no causal impact on anything but the record sheet.

If you take the same approach to the batter's box and change nothing else but also win a game in that same time frame, how does that alone make you better? no, you get better by improving mechanics of the swing and your approach to a PA. you learn the shape of pitches as you watch them. you get more comfortable playing in front of upto 50,000 people... etc etc.. development has nothign to do with the actual result of winning.. that is an outcome affected by all that other stuff, of course. if you say anything along the lines of experience, that's not winning a game... the experience of winnig a game is simply feeling good at the end. it doesn't improve your swing. it doesn't add muscle. it doesn't make you throw harder. motivation? i mean that's now getting into neurotic stuff and the maybe part in some abstract way.

i don't think you could cheat this way... you see bumps to talent as they get promoted, because it's a new 'ceiling' for lack of a better word that isn't so rigid relative to development. you see those increase any give week, even in the offseason. Also, i don't know how you can connect winning the championship with development that occurs weeks, if not months later on?

even with potential -- is it tcr? aging? some other factor? the only time i think it's obvious is a gigantic jump up or down at a non-old age. that's tcr, but tcr can be small too, so it becomes indistinguishable from any other factor causing small incremental changes. how many thousands or tens of thousands of data points needed to distinguish? there's an equation to determin that if interested.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
majesty95
All Star Starter

So Ive gone back through and done some digging. There are a couple of examples of guys who had large increases aftter winning titles. Hyzdu went from 1.5 to 4 stars after winning two in 96 and Nicholson went form a 0.5 to 3 star after winning one in 96. There are also some guys like Craig Wilson who went up in OVR (not POT) after 96 and 97 after winning championships.

I do think there may be something to winning or making the playoffs. However, I think most of the +1 jumps we saw and that I attributed to the playoff surge was actually our conversion from OOTP 19 to 20. I think minor league awards may play into the dev improvement too as many of the ones who saw large jumps won awards as well...
Old 09-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
majesty95
All Star Starter

One thing I did notice is that the Knoxville team (who had won back-to-back) championships had 34 players improve by 1 POT or more (26 of them has won at least three championships in three years).

My Hardware City champs had 19 players improve by 1 POT and the Huntsville team from 98 who also won had 25. So, again, maybe there is a correlation, but its certainly not as big as I thought at first
Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

If a team is winning the locker room is likely a pleasant place to be.

If the locker room is pleasant there are likely many happy players.

Happy players develop better. That is what is occurring here in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrtoothtiger View Post
If a team is winning the locker room is likely a pleasant place to be.

If the locker room is pleasant there are likely many happy players.

Happy players develop better. That is what is occurring here in my opinion.
+1

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote