Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:04 PM   #121
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
This is a bat **** crazy off season.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #122
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
This is a bat **** crazy off season.
The NFL is sooooooooo jealous
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:25 AM   #123
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
The NFL is sooooooooo jealous
I doubt it. But the NFL consists of players getting cut or retiring.

But when it’s game time they still own the ratings and media landscape.
The NBA though has figured out how to turn itself into a 365 day a year sport.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:36 AM   #124
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

The NFL's franchise tag system and the longer rookie contracts combined with frozen salary you get from trading players hampers the NFL's offseason from becoming a thing

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #125
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I doubt it. But the NFL consists of players getting cut or retiring.

But when it’s game time they still own the ratings and media landscape.
The NBA though has figured out how to turn itself into a 365 day a year sport.
I disagree. The NFL offseason dominates ESPN radio during the NBA season. Which ticks me off & why I only listen to LeBetard. But this NBA offseason has overwhelmed the airwaves. And dj's are saying they can't wait for the season to start. They aren't currently saying that about football. That's a win for the NBA.

In other news, poor, misunderstood, picked on Grayson Allen got ejected last night. Disgrayson is a u-no-what.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #126
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Russ and Harden reunited… I hope morey knows what he's doing

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #127
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I disagree. The NFL offseason dominates ESPN radio during the NBA season. Which ticks me off & why I only listen to LeBetard. But this NBA offseason has overwhelmed the airwaves. And dj's are saying they can't wait for the season to start. They aren't currently saying that about football. That's a win for the NBA.

In other news, poor, misunderstood, picked on Grayson Allen got ejected last night. Disgrayson is a u-no-what.
Had to laugh. Right during the meat of the NBA free agency rush, I tuned into Golic and Wingo. They talked about the upcoming MLB All Star game in Cleveland and instantly turned that into a discussion of the Cleveland Browns. I couldn't change the station fast enough.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #128
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I had no idea he was in Memphis. He was a non factor for Utah last season even though their offense was constipated.
I don’t see a place for him in the league unless he takes the career path of JJ Reddick.

Getting ejected from Summer League is just a bad look. The games are not exactly known for being fiercely competitive.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #129
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Had to laugh. Right during the meat of the NBA free agency rush, I tuned into Golic and Wingo. They talked about the upcoming MLB All Star game in Cleveland and instantly turned that into a discussion of the Cleveland Browns. I couldn't change the station fast enough.
I guess I don’t listen to ESPN radio. I have however heard Mike Golic on numerous occasions and he seems like a nice enough guy but I have yet to hear him say anything intelligent enough to warrant him being someone in sports media I should listen to.

I always got the impression that he never much cared for basketball which is fine. It’s not for everyone. And ESPN has lots of other shows and podcasts dedicated to basketball.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #130
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I don’t listen to ESPN radio. I have however heard Mike Golic on numerous occasions and he seems like a nice enough guy but I have yet to hear him say anything intelligent enough to warrant him being someone in sports media I should listen to.

I always got the impression that he never much cared for basketball which is fine. It’s not for everyone. And ESPN has lots of other shows and podcasts dedicated to basketball.
That's true. I tend to only listen when I'm in the car on the way to or home from work. My drive isn't a long one. In the mornings it Golic ESPN, Chris Carter and whomever he's paired with, Mad Dog radio and Barstool Radio. I can't quite figure out the morning guys on Mad Dog. Half the time I can't even follow what the discussion is about. The Barstool station seems like it's there just for the sake of dropping f bombs and I can't imagine the hosts not wearing backwards baseball caps, so I don't listen to it very often.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #131
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... & why I only listen to LeBetard.
Interesting. I do a fair amount of driving and therefore listen to plenty of sports talk radio. I have three stations to choose from and am somewhat picky. If they start talking sports or teams I don't care about, have a guest that I don't care to hear, wander too far from sports for too long, or simply go to commercial, I change the station. Whenever I change to another station, if I can't figure out what they're talking about within 4 or 5 seconds, I go elsewhere... Nearly without fail, this is the case with LeBatard. The only thing I get in those 4 or 5 seconds is that they are usually talking about something other than sports, or something barely related to sports. It is rarely pithy sports talk. Granted, my driving window only overlaps with LeBatard for about 1, maybe 2, hours.

Am I missing something due to small/short sample size, or is that the gist of their show?
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #132
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Interesting. I do a fair amount of driving and therefore listen to plenty of sports talk radio. I have three stations to choose from and am somewhat picky. If they start talking sports or teams I don't care about, have a guest that I don't care to hear, wander too far from sports for too long, or simply go to commercial, I change the station. Whenever I change to another station, if I can't figure out what they're talking about within 4 or 5 seconds, I go elsewhere... Nearly without fail, this is the case with LeBatard. The only thing I get in those 4 or 5 seconds is that they are usually talking about something other than sports, or something barely related to sports. It is rarely pithy sports talk. Granted, my driving window only overlaps with LeBatard for about 1, maybe 2, hours.

Am I missing something due to small/short sample size, or is that the gist of their show?
I like LeBetard because he doesn't take himself or his topic seriously 90% of the time. He did irritate me w/an interview he did w/the MLB commish after Jeter's yard sale. But most of the times its just guys being guys. He doesn't behave as if his opinion is a message from heaven. His thoughts are rarely cookie cutter material. He isn't seeking to establish himself as the ultimate authority on anything. And he doesn't act like his subject is a deep philosophical critique on life & the human condition. Sometimes his topic is sports. But as with most convos, it can go off tangent which I'm fine with. It's what I think a sports talk show should be. A little informative, varied points of view, but still trying to be fun.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #133
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Those 2 are the exception. All they know is football. Wingo was a terrible choice to replace Greeny. Now they have 2 football centric hosts who can generate little conversation that isn't focused on the gridiron. And worse, don't want to.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #134
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like LeBetard because he doesn't take himself or his topic seriously 90% of the time. He did irritate me w/an interview he did w/the MLB commish after Jeter's yard sale. But most of the times its just guys being guys. He doesn't behave as if his opinion is a message from heaven. His thoughts are rarely cookie cutter material. He isn't seeking to establish himself as the ultimate authority on anything. And he doesn't act like his subject is a deep philosophical critique on life & the human condition. Sometimes his topic is sports. But as with most convos, it can go off tangent which I'm fine with. It's what I think a sports talk show should be. A little informative, varied points of view, but still trying to be fun.
What you describe sounds exactly like Colin Cowherd! I say that from the perspective that while I find all of those characteristics very irritating in him, I still enjoy the pithiness of his show... Sometimes...

Will have to give LeBatard another chance...
Old 07-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #135
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What you describe sounds exactly like Colin Cowherd! I say that from the perspective that while I find all of those characteristics very irritating in him, I still enjoy the pithiness of his show... Sometimes...

Will have to give LeBatard another chance...
Sorry to disagree. but it's nothing like Cowturd. Cowturd does have an ego problem, dominates the microphone and himself says he doesn't care about being accurate, just interesting. I can't begin to compare the two. Cowturd is more like Skip Bayless.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #136
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry to disagree. but it's nothing like Cowturd. Cowturd does have an ego problem, dominates the microphone and himself says he doesn't care about being accurate, just interesting. I can't begin to compare the two. Cowturd is more like Skip Bayless.
No, what I meant is that what you describe that LeBatard is NOT, nearly perfectly describes Cowherd.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #137
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, what I meant is that what you describe that LeBatard is NOT, nearly perfectly describes Cowherd.
Ahhhhh......I get it now.......

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #138
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Who was the more respected and beloved and well-known Oklahoma figure for native Oklahomans, Russell Westbrook or Oklahoma! musical writers Rodgers and Hammerstein?
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #139
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
Who was the more respected and beloved and well-known Oklahoma figure for native Oklahomans, Russell Westbrook or Oklahoma! musical writers Rodgers and Hammerstein?
More likely Barry Switzer or Barry Sanders.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #140
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

I like what OKC is doing. Tearing it down, the team they had was a first or second round exit every season and was capped out and deep into the luxery tax.
Adams will be the next to go. If Roberson is back and healthy and shows something in season they will look to move him by the trade deadline.
Paul is a terrible contract and is borderline washed at this point. I don't think he will be with the team at this point next offseason. I don't think they will get much for him, but I think teams will keep moving him around until his albatross contract is off their books.
OKC will have to trade him for a bunch of bad salary but bad salary that expires sooner than his does.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 07-14-2019 at 05:06 AM.