Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - Public Beta Test > FHM - Beta Data Issues

Old 03-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
JeffR
FHM Producer

Historic National Hockey League

Researcher: JeffR

So, time for a somewhat lengthy explanation on where I am at the moment with the historical db:

Anyone who debuted between 1947-48 and 1979-80 is in the game right now. The ratings are pretty rudimentary at the moment, but they do produce reasonably good results. They'll get more precise as the detailed player records are filled out in the database, but that isn't going to happen until every player has the basics done. And I'm the bottleneck on getting that done: having done the first 40+ years myself, I want to carry it through so I do the more recent players, too. That's mainly out of a desire to keep the basic framework of the ratings consistent across the entire database - I get inconsistent enough on my own, it would get really messy with multiple pairs of hands at work. (And, to a lesser extent, it's because I have fun working on it - after spending hours writing documentation, testing, dealing with email and PM's, and moving numbers around in the main database, studying the career of Morris Mott is nice stress relief.)

Once I've got every single NHL player from 1947 forward rated in a basic way, we're going to split the database up and start doing the detail work that gives the players more personality - making Bobby Clarke great at faceoffs, Bob Probert a terrific fighter, Harold Snepsts slow enough to time with an hourglass, and so on. That's when we should start to see really impressive results. I've got several volunteers already from the current research team who want to work on those, so I think we're probably covered for research help at the moment, but I'll post if we need more people to help with that.

With things at the stage they are, I can't really use detailed information on the players just yet. If I've got something wrong in general terms - you remember a player was good defensively and I've got him modeled as a goal-scoring floater - by all means let me know and I'll fix it. I just can't do anything (yet) with the knowledge that he wasn't a great fighter and couldn't throw a check to save his life.

One specific thing that I particularly welcome: better data on what NHL teams owned a player during seasons he didn't actually play any NHL games. If you start up a game as the 1974 Bruins and see a guy there that you know was sold to Atlanta that offseason, I want to hear about it. The bulk of the problems will be with Original-6 era guys, where the transaction data isn't available for a lot of the times they moved unless you dig through vintage THN's or local newspapers. Case in point, a guy who had no NHL transaction history I could find prior to 1967 but had a long minor league career up to that point. As it happens, his grandson is one of our researchers, and after talking with him confirmed that he'd actually been Hawk property in the early 50's. So now, with the "historical debut" option turned on, he shows up in the game then, instead of 15 years later. That's the kind of information that's very valuable to me.

Last edited by JeffR; 03-04-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Michael Farkas
Minors (Double A)

Just moving this over here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
A couple of notes, just finished 1975. In the finals during game Rangers vs Leafs, the two teams names appeared at the top near score and shots but down by which line was on the ice it had KC and North Stars (the two teams that lost in the conference final.

Another thing that just caught my eye during the season if a game ended in a tie on the calendar on top of the screen it says "Drawn at Bos 3-3. Seems odd, but maybe it's just me but I would think "at Bos 3-3 T (or W,L).
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
maidenutah
Minors (Single A)

The new historic database seems to be broken. Players are at the wrong positions. Mike Bossy and Clark Gillies are listed as goalies. This was in a newly started game without any changes whatsoever.

I can't even click on Gary Bromley of Vancouver without the game crashing.

I have tried starting in 78,79, and 80. All years had the same problems.
Attached Images
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenutah View Post
The new historic database seems to be broken. Players are at the wrong positions. Mike Bossy and Clark Gillies are listed as goalies. This was in a newly started game without any changes whatsoever.

I can't even click on Gary Bromley of Vancouver without the game crashing.

I have tried starting in 78,79, and 80. All years had the same problems.
It looks like Bossy and Gillies are my fault, I've neglected to set something in their player records and it results in their position getting randomized. Checking the database, I see a handful of other guys with the same problem; I'll get that all fixed for next week's update.

Bromley must be something different, though. I can replicate the crash, but I don't see any problems in his data, and switching the views on the roster screen shows his ratings appear to be calculated correctly. I'll get the guys to check it.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
raptor99
Minors (Rookie Ball)

historical mode

Trying to play Leafs 1960-61 season....game won't let me get past a salary cap issue. What is the trick to disabling this or getting around the problem.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
CalgaryCannons
Minors (Single A)

For one thing you don't seem to have the most recent update which killed the salary cap for historical leagues. Regardless, you should be able to go into commissioner mode (it's an option in the manager options screen) and then select your players one at a time, go to the edit player screen and set the salaries to numbers that will comply with the cap. The other teams don't seem affected by this so you just need to get your own team in compliance.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Just started a game in 1955 without changing anything as the New York Rangers. Noticed that one player, LW Ron Murphy, did not have any team listed next to his statistics.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
AceDevilAztec
Bat Boy

Historical League Rookie Draft

Started a League in 1969 without expansion. Ended season for rookie draft of following season, and only 4 players we in the entry draft and none of them had names.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
RFroese
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hello. Started a historical 84-85 season to see how Pelle Lindbergh's death was handled. Noticed that he was completely absent from the game. Is this catastrophe addressed in any way by starting a sim from 83-84 or prior? Also, Ron Hextall was no where near as NHL ready when Pelle passed on which seems a little inaccurate.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
dejaqwho
Minors (Single A)

I hope you guys aren't spending time working on historic leagues at this state of the game. Lets make a good working game core, and fix the major bugs first. Then we can comeback to historic leagues, easily added later.

Not that I have anything against the feature (I like it myself personaly) but no point playing historic leagues when computer AI isn't up to standards ATM.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
G-Nuke
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFroese View Post
Hello. Started a historical 84-85 season to see how Pelle Lindbergh's death was handled. Noticed that he was completely absent from the game. Is this catastrophe addressed in any way by starting a sim from 83-84 or prior? Also, Ron Hextall was no where near as NHL ready when Pelle passed on which seems a little inaccurate.
I've noticed a lot of that. Started a 47-48 game, and both Jacques Plante and Terry Sawchuk are NHL ready, when in fact they were both several years away from debuting in the NHL.

Ofcourse I didn't check "generate players at 17", so neither should have ben in the game at all yet...
Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
pens66
Major Leagues

Just started a historical game in 1984 and the birthplace of Mario Lemieux was listed as Mistissini, QC.