Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #21
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Honestly, a fantastic way to fix this would be to simply have a cooldown on player signings. In order to get human-like behavior, do what a human would do. They are very unlikely to sign or trade for a guy and immediately offer that same person up in a trade, unless the deal was something that was patently ridiculous in their favor.
Dave Gettleman disagrees
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #22
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake Appeal View Post
Football Manager uses a similar "cooling off" period where teams and players are simply uninterested in moving if they've recently been traded. It doesn't work with players who are traded before the gameworld is created, though, so it wouldn't protect Donaldson in this instance.

FM also lets you disable trades until the first transfer window (January, after the season starts in August) when setting up a new game.
We do this, too. But, in the case of Donaldson, the game does not know he was signed just this offseason.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #23
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

Someone on Reddit posted that they shopped Johan Camargo and got back offers of Benintendi, Kopech, Moncada, Corey Seager, Correa, Realmuto, Francisco Mejia, Alex Reyes and Joey Gallo (to name a few).
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #24
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle80 View Post
Someone on Reddit posted that they shopped Johan Camargo and got back offers of Benintendi, Kopech, Moncada, Corey Seager, Correa, Realmuto, Francisco Mejia, Alex Reyes and Joey Gallo (to name a few).
OOTP does not know names Camargo is a very young & good SS with 5 years of team control left. ZiPS likes him. So he ended up with good ratings. Simple as that.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #25
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Camargo had a 115 WRC+ in his first full year and almost a .350 WOBA. Beating a lot on the list above or coming damn close but for rookie level contract.

Only player who doesn't really make sense is Correa. Mejia is a prospect not sure if he went down from 19 to 20. But all of the official projections have him lower at MLB level then AAA. So it might not be too far.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #26
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

ZiPS is a lot higher on Camargo than the average projection, but a few of those trades would be steals, and only a couple of them really make me raise my eyebrows.

For example, jimmysthebestcop mentioned Carlos Correa, but the 2019 ZiPS projections for Camargo/Correa, combined with their different contract statuses ... if you squint, you can see it.

Any time it seems weird, go to Fangraphs and look at the respective ZiPS projections. ZiPS produces a lot of outliers, and if it's the high system on one guy and the low guy on another, it can produce trades that appear lopsided to the human user, but aren't as much under the hood.

Last edited by Shake Appeal; 03-19-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Shake Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #27
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

In an ideal world, OOTP would use Fangraphs' Depth Charts, which smoothes out some of the quirks of both Steamer and ZiPS. But I imagine they have some relationship with Dan S. to use the latter.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #28
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

Yeah, I suppose that's always going to be the issue. Using one projection system, it's like every GM is a ZiPS fanatic and judges players accordingly.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #29
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Every time projections are released, everyone complains that their favorite players are not favored enough. If I were writing an article about some projection being released, I'd have comments turned off for it. It's not personal, bud. It's a math formula.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #30
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
We do this, too. But, in the case of Donaldson, the game does not know he was signed just this offseason.
is there something like this for players who were just traded for? in my latest game, the twins traded for Jose Martinez of the Cardinals and immediately put him on the trading block
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #31
BesdaCaleb
Bat Boy

OTTP 20 LOVES Ichiro

Started a new test game with the Mariners. Started shopping the veterans. I shopped Ichiro and got way too many good offers. Ended up trading Ichiro straight up to the Astros for Roberto Osuna. The Astros then proceeded to immediately release Ichiro.

Also sort of disappointed that they don't have the Japan games included. In 20 the M's open in Oakland instead of Japan.
BesdaCaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #32
tward13
All Star Starter

Yep, Osuna is easy to get from the Astros
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #33
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Yeah, I suppose that's always going to be the issue. Using one projection system, it's like every GM is a ZiPS fanatic and judges players accordingly.
Most of the projections from different sources are very very similar to each other for a large majority of players.

So even if you used 6 of them an averaged together it wouldn't really be any different except it would cause a huge increase of work.

And this is really only for the 1st year in an MLB campaign. But once mlb season starts OOTP has live updates so once the players start getting at bats it should normalize.

Remember everyone is playing the 2019 season before it actually starts. If every prediction worked out we would just use OOTP and bet in LAs Vegas all be millionaires.

Camargo did have a 3.3 War in only 120 games. I think he beat everyone on that list. Now Camargo could play 3B, 2B, SS and now Braves trying him in outfield.

The anomaly could be Seager as Zips has him as an injury risk so his projections are for like 130 games.

So I actually think the AI was making pretty solid offers. Even Joey Gallo Camargo out WAR-ed him last year. He hits HR and thats it. He can't even play defense.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #34
potsey7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just wish the game had an "approve trade" in Commissioner Mode so I didn't have to go back and put players on their original teams when I feel the trade is unrealistic or doesn't fit what I want in the save.
potsey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #35
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesdaCaleb View Post
Started a new test game with the Mariners. Started shopping the veterans. I shopped Ichiro and got way too many good offers. Ended up trading Ichiro straight up to the Astros for Roberto Osuna. The Astros then proceeded to immediately release Ichiro.

Also sort of disappointed that they don't have the Japan games included. In 20 the M's open in Oakland instead of Japan.
It definitely has the Japan series scheduled on the right dates, because I played a few weeks of an Oakland save. But I didn't notice if the games are actually played in Japan.