Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Random events

I just traded for Ryan Hannigan from Cincy. Ok, no problem. He's 32 making a little over 2 mil and is eligible for arbitration the following year. he's slated to make 2.6 million a year. He wants a four year contract for about 20 mil to sign. OK no problem. I talked him down to 2 years at 4 and 5 mil a year. Ok..no problem you say. The problem is, he is supposedly pissed as hell about the trade, as he is unhappy as hell. Why would he be so agreeable to take this kind of contract as a 32 year old who is pissed he's been traded? Please don't tell me to use my imagination or pretend. This is the kind of little stuff that just really hurts OOTP. Why can't there be more attention to detail than this? I mean I realize anything can happen on any given day, but it almost seems like OOTP is so random, that it's own randomness is the excuse.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

People might not think things like this are a big deal, but I CAN assure you it' these little things that work in sync with FM...In other words, all the little dots connect for the most part.

EDIT: If I didn't care about this game and it's future, I would not keep railing on things like this. I do it because I want OOTP to become the greatest GM sim of all time. I really like baseball better than soccer, but find myself in a quandary because the game (sport) I love isn't as good as the best sports simulation on the market. I want that fact changed. Remember...I am from PSU...we have overcome so much in the last nearly two years you can't understand. It's all about the fight. This game needs to get up and fight for even more than it has now.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 08-23-2013 at 02:28 AM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I just traded for Ryan Hannigan from Cincy. Ok, no problem. He's 32 making a little over 2 mil and is eligible for arbitration the following year. he's slated to make 2.6 million a year. He wants a four year contract for about 20 mil to sign. OK no problem. I talked him down to 2 years at 4 and 5 mil a year. Ok..no problem you say. The problem is, he is supposedly pissed as hell about the trade, as he is unhappy as hell. Why would he be so agreeable to take this kind of contract as a 32 year old who is pissed he's been traded?
Why would a 32 year old, good-but-not-great catcher like Hannigan be unhappy with a 2 year, $9M contract if he'd only be getting $2.6M in arbitration next year? Unless you trade him again, he knows he's going to be playing for you one way or the other since he's still under team control. You hold all the leverage, and you still gave him a big raise. It seems to me like you're the one doing the imagining that he'd be so frustrated that he couldn't face objective reality.

EDIT: Misread the contract terms (corrected above). But the basic fact remains.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 08-23-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just traded for Ryan Hannigan from Cincy. Ok, no problem. He's 32 making a little over 2 mil and is eligible for arbitration the following year. he's slated to make 2.6 million a year. He wants a four year contract for about 20 mil to sign. OK no problem. I talked him down to 2 years at 4 and 5 mil a year. Ok..no problem you say. The problem is, he is supposedly pissed as hell about the trade, as he is unhappy as hell. Why would he be so agreeable to take this kind of contract as a 32 year old who is pissed he's been traded? Please don't tell me to use my imagination or pretend. This is the kind of little stuff that just really hurts OOTP. Why can't there be more attention to detail than this? I mean I realize anything can happen on any given day, but it almost seems like OOTP is so random, that it's own randomness is the excuse.
Dwight Howard
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Man... I've read a lot of goofball criticisms on this board... but this one is a doozy...

HOW DARE HE TAKE MY FAIR MARKET OFFER?!? HE'S MAD AND STUFF!! IF EVERYTHING WORKED OUT PERFECTLY FOR HIM, HE MIGHT MAKE MORE IN 16 MONTHS WHEN UNRESTRICED! SO RANDOM! DON'T IMAGINE IT AWAY!!!

Look, the player personality / moral systems aren't perfect... I am always miffed when a guy with 'very high' desire to win gets upset with the transaction when his cellar dweller team moves him to a contender. But you are just grasping at straws here.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
People might not think things like this are a big deal, but I CAN assure you it' these little things that work in sync with FM...In other words, all the little dots connect for the most part.

EDIT: If I didn't care about this game and it's future, I would not keep railing on things like this. I do it because I want OOTP to become the greatest GM sim of all time. I really like baseball better than soccer, but find myself in a quandary because the game (sport) I love isn't as good as the best sports simulation on the market. I want that fact changed. Remember...I am from PSU...we have overcome so much in the last nearly two years you can't understand. It's all about the fight. This game needs to get up and fight for even more than it has now.
I'm not seeing all of your gripes. Maybe you should just take a break, and play FM?
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
nebradska
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Remember...I am from PSU...we have overcome so much in the last nearly two years you can't understand. It's all about the fight.
Oh right, I keep forgetting that the real victims of that tragedy were the students and alumni of PSU and the coaches and administration who enabled a child molester. :vomit:
nebradska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
It's all about the fight.
I bet those are the truest words any troll has ever written.......
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

I'm sorry, but I actually find this one to be pretty realistic and think it's a strength for OOTP.

Yes, he agreed to a 2 year contract, but he really wanted a 4 year one. Hannigan may have gotten a fair market contract, he might even have gotten a generous contract from you. But, the fact is, he didn't get what he really wants.

People do agree to compromises and then change their mind. In this case, it just got too much for Hanigan when he realized how much he really did want a 4 year deal.

Technically, it's not really "buyer's remorse", so maybe we should just call it re-signing remorse.

If everybody who doesn't get exactly what they wanted in their contract demands then we'd have a problem. But, the occassional player getting upset like Hanigan is a realistic thing.
nyy26wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Quote:
I just traded for Ryan Hannigan from Cincy. Ok, no problem. He's 32 making a little over 2 mil and is eligible for arbitration the following year. he's slated to make 2.6 million a year. He wants a four year contract for about 20 mil to sign. OK no problem. I talked him down to 2 years at 4 and 5 mil a year. Ok..no problem you say. The problem is, he is supposedly pissed as hell about the trade, as he is unhappy as hell. Why would he be so agreeable to take this kind of contract as a 32 year old who is pissed he's been traded?
A 32-year old catcher is like a 35-year old anything else if he's a starter. He didn't want to be traded and was upset., but you've just given him ten million reasons to change his mind. Yes, he initially told you he wanted 20M/4, but I'm sure he knew realistically he wouldn't get that - that's part of negotiating - aim high so you've got room to come down and be happy with what you get. And you've just offered him 10M/2 guaranteed when he's been only making 2M a year or less year to year via arbitration. Not bad.

I don't see it as being that unrealistic. And I'm not using my imagination - just basic reasoning.

All that said, I'm sure there are sometimes disconnects between player morale, contract demands, etc. It's not going to be perfect, and I think pointing out possible disconnects is important so that Markus can improve. But I think it can be done without being presented as the world is ending and it's a game-killing issue. I don't think it's some grand conspiracy where Markus purposely puts something in the game half-baked and cackles wildly while the users think they're getting something that is only smoke and mirrors. I'm sure he tries to take all these variables into account in the decision making AI, but I'm sure it's a very complicated process and Markus is human. I'm sure anything you might see as a "lack of attention to detail" isn't from lack of trying on his part.

Just my opinion.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

EDIT: nevermind... don't listen to me

Last edited by Tyler87898; 08-23-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Brandon Phillips calls his $72.5 million contract a ‘slap in the face’

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Brandon Phillips calls his $72.5 million contract a ‘slap in the face’
Can someone please slap me in the face like Mr. Phillips is claiming? He plays 2B which is not a position that usually warrants $10 million plus contracts and his numbers have been decreasing and without taking PED's will continue to trend downward.

Of course, I am a St. Louis fan and can't stand this guy, but I hope he continues to be a drain on his team.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #14
Cras
Hall Of Famer

This thread just confuses me
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
Can someone please slap me in the face like Mr. Phillips is claiming? He plays 2B which is not a position that usually warrants $10 million plus contracts and his numbers have been decreasing and without taking PED's will continue to trend downward.

Of course, I am a St. Louis fan and can't stand this guy, but I hope he continues to be a drain on his team.
He's also 2nd in the NL in RBIs this season and is probably the best defensive 2B in the league.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He's also 2nd in the NL in RBIs this season and is probably the best defensive 2B in the league.
He's second in RBIs because he hits behind Joey Votto...

Also, Darwin Barney?
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
He's second in RBIs because he hits behind Joey Votto...

Also, Darwin Barney?
I still think Phillips is the best, but I also do see him the most since they are my local team. I am a Reds fan so I am biased, though.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #18
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I still think Phillips is the best, but I also do see him the most since they are my local team. I am a Reds fan so I am biased, though.
Phillips is easily one of the best, I just don't know if he is THE best.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
Phillips is easily one of the best, I just don't know if he is THE best.
I'll agree with that. I just know that I enjoy watching him play on a nightly basis.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
His counting numbers are good and most of that has to do with where he bats in the order in one of the best offenses in baseball.

The reality is he is a low OBP guy w/o a tremendous amount of power. He bats cleanup for the Reds basically by default and the fact the Dusty Baker doesnt seem to care a lot about on base percentage.

He is great on defense and around the 5th best hitting 2nd baseman in any given year. The problem is his power has decreased now for the 3rd straight year and his OBP has decreased now for the 3rd straight year. A bit risky to give him a large contract IMO.

Being 32 and clearly declining I think the Reds made him a very fair offer.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote